Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Alexander .... 1st the Detroit (warning picture heavy)

Plumbline

One Too Many
This is the jacket for Plumbline, cool daddy-o
rof24.gif
banana.gif

al_0019a.jpg

http://www.alexanderleathers.com/vintageclassics/grizzly.html

:) :) :) ..... never really got the "Grizzly" thing .... I prefer my sheepskin on the inside ..... and my horses Chrome Tanned :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Neither are my favourite, but the fur on AL's looks as if it last saw service as a bathroom mat. I'm sure all you new guys will beg to differ, you're more than welcome to, but I've been incredibly disappointed with AL's offerings. So little imagination and flare.

Plumbline

One Too Many
The AL sheepskin looks more like most of the Grizzly's I've seen in the flesh ... Aero's looks more Mouton-esque but would wear to eventually look like the Alexanders one .... both are a waste of good sheepskin IMHO ... why put it on the outside when it feels so much better and is so much more effective on the inside :)

I think the AL offerings are getting much better with time ... I suspect though they will be like marmite ( as is Aero in the motorcycle world ) .. you will either love it or hate it ( based on a whole load of perspectives and biases). Most of my biker buddies shun manufacturers like Aero and the other "retro" manufacturers because they are missing many of the features that a "Modern" bike jacket has both in terms of comfort and protection.

I think Aero's new offerings look amazing if you are like many FL'rs into an authentic 1920's - 1940's look ... it looks like that is where Ken / Holly and Co's direction is taking them. I think Alexanders are going more mainstream .. perhaps reflecting Sandy's background ..... but equally a less authentically vintage market and more where Aero was.

Either way ... choice and perhaps competition is good for the consumer ( which I am) ... so I wish them both the greatest of successes :)

Plumbline

One Too Many
stick the sheepskin on the inside ( except the collar and that would be an AMAZING jacket .... I'm loving the cuffs and the two piece arm :)

Edward

Bartender
The AL sheepskin looks more like most of the Grizzly's I've seen in the flesh ... Aero's looks more Mouton-esque but would wear to eventually look like the Alexanders one .... both are a waste of good sheepskin IMHO ... why put it on the outside when it feels so much better and is so much more effective on the inside :)

I think the AL offerings are getting much better with time ... I suspect though they will be like marmite ( as is Aero in the motorcycle world ) .. you will either love it or hate it ( based on a whole load of perspectives and biases). Most of my biker buddies shun manufacturers like Aero and the other "retro" manufacturers because they are missing many of the features that a "Modern" bike jacket has both in terms of comfort and protection.

Certainly the modern power ranger biker stuff is aiming for a very different market. I always wonder why nobody seems to jump on the market for folks who want the modern safety aspect without looking like, well, a Power Ranger (me, I'd never ride a bike without the proper safety gear, but I'd rather not have a bike if it means looking like a twit....) but perhaps that market just isn't there. Different folks want different things... C'est la vie. Naturally, until the AL/Aero controversy is finally put to bed there will be a lot of folks who may think twice, though I'm another one not particularly struck by their designs. Subjective preference again, but rest assured that applies on a visual appeal issue alone, completely aside from any other issues.

I think Aero's new offerings look amazing if you are like many FL'rs into an authentic 1920's - 1940's look ... it looks like that is where Ken / Holly and Co's direction is taking them. I think Alexanders are going more mainstream .. perhaps reflecting Sandy's background ..... but equally a less authentically vintage market and more where Aero was.

That's certainly the case. It's no surprise most Floungers far and away prefer the Aero route, bearing in mind the point of this place. AL are definitely looking to a mainstream approach, hence "modern fit with a vintage style". To make a crude analogy, they're aiming for the Avirex market, not the Buzz Rickson market. Which is fair enough - they're not in business to make art. Interesting to think Aero could have gone that way - wasn't there a rumour Sandy Alexander tried to buy Aero some years ago?

Certainly, the market is big enough for both, and both will likely evolve very different customer bases. You pays your money and caveat emptor.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Looks like a copy of the 1930's "Grizzly" on p38 of Rin Tanaka's " Motorcycle Jackets - A Century of Leather Design" .. I don't have a scanner handy but if someone does they could scan it in. Also some similar cues from the Laskinlamb one on P43 ( not the same as the Laskinlamb one posted above).

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Given the prices they are charging there is never going to be the level of detailing and ageing Real McCoy's Japan offer.

It'd be interesting to see what the real cost price is on the Japanese stuff. I've always had the impression a lot of those prices are artificially inflated by the nature of the market they play to. Fair enough, they make the business work, that's capitalism, but I'm not yet sure that they couldn't do something similar with a lower unit price.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
I was in Japan in 2000 and 2002 and the ELC and Aero stuff was only a bit more expensive than the UK. Buzz was a bit higher and the stuff in the RMCJ store was very expensive(not to be confused with RMCNZ) A three tier market.
The English sourced veg tanned jerky horse on my AL Roadster, is certainly as characterful as the more expensive Japanese and Italian hides I've seen.

IMG_0982-2.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Flare and creativity do not need to come with a big price tag - AL's full price stuff is only just short of Aero's and ELCs. You ask me what I want? I'm like any other average jacket buyer: fresh, interesting designs well-rendered that stand on their own merits. I still think there is plenty of room for somebody to do a Real McCoy/Himmel Bros type thing. It's a real gap in the market and one that could be exploited really well.

Last edited:
Flare and creativity do not need to come with a big price tag - AL's full price stuff is only just short of Aero's and ELCs. You ask me what I want? I'm like any other average jacket buyer: fresh, interesting designs well-rendered that stand on their own merits. I still think there is plenty of room for somebody to do a Real McCoy/Himmel Bros type thing. It's a real gap in the market and one that could be exploited really well.
That's what I envision (for John lol ) Good Wear being...Well, I can hope.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If he's using the Japanese leathers and techniques and can undercut a bit - let's not be too demanding - either through actual cost or P&P, then yeah, why not? Now about that 12 month waiting time...

He'd have to expand the talent for sure. I know it's hard to wait - many can't and won't - so I hope maybe someday. OTOH, anticipation is fun :)

majormajor

One Too Many
It'd be interesting to see what the real cost price is on the Japanese stuff. I've always had the impression a lot of those prices are artificially inflated by the nature of the market they play to. Fair enough, they make the business work, that's capitalism, but I'm not yet sure that they couldn't do something similar with a lower unit price.

+1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points