Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Alexander .... 1st the Detroit (warning picture heavy)

Jerky FQHH (Aero anyhow) is tumbled HH that that brings out grain and somewhat relaxes the leather. It's called jerky because of the more pronounced finer grain.
..At least that's what Ken Calder has said in the past.
HD

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I bought a size 44R Roadster in jerky horse. The one pictured on their website.

The leather is really nice. A strong leather smell that only comes from veg tanned leather. A bit like walking into an expensive furniture shop. The hide is a medium weight full grain English leather. Black finish on tan leather. The variation in thickness strongly suggests horsehide as does the leathers crisp handle when new.

I've had it a week and it's breaking in quite quickly. I can tell this will develop character over time with the grain popping. Don't confuse that with crinkling. For me, it's preferable to Horween chromexcel which is a more processed leather stuffed with oils and often without hair follicle pores visible. I'm not to keen some of the other matte finish leathers Alexander offer either.

AL would clean up if they could continue to offer jackets like these at the lower price point. I paid £300
($ 447 usd for colonial types at today's exchange rate !)

IMG_0975.jpg

The jacket came with an inside snap pocket. The lining is mid-weight cotton.The paper tag says made by Edith.

shoulders 19.5"
arms 25"
back length 26"
chest 24.5"

It looks very nice. I think the HH was available when I bought mine but I especially wanted the two top zip pockets. Otherwise I probably would have gone for that. But I'm glad I didn't buy the smooth steer anyway since I really like the black goatskin now. It is unusual, and it is a hide of character compared to baby's bottom smooth steer. I was planning to get a summer goatskin jacket in a sort of civilian A2 style but with zips, made for me but this will do instead.

I reckon that if they did continue to offer jackets at this price they would go under rather than clean up. This is very much about cash flow I think. As I wrote above their challenge will be to get customers to buy at the full price. I think they need to be a little more innovative with the designs.

Last edited:

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
I think they need to be a little more innovative with the designs.

The use of thinner hides offer them the possibility of more intricate detailing. My guess is they know what sells, and that means simple Generic 1950's American styling. In fact, exactly the jacket I ended up choosing and the one that sold out first !

Some of the designs are a bit bland though IMHO. The bike jacket for example. I wouldn't pay £500 for it. Legendary USA have better models. I liked the Trojan repro they did.

The Detroit in seal brown horse looks good.

al_0008-1.jpg

In heavy Steerhide @ £300

al_0062.jpg

Last edited:

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
I've taken comments on board re. fit and went for a slim 44" ( this is a new direction for me) ..... feels very nice, a little strange .. fitted, a little like a suit jacket . I normally wear my jackets a little loose for most on here ..... this is fitted :D

The vintage steer is soft and thick ... sort of like nubuck meets vintage leather ...... overall ... I REALLY like it. It's not 50's halfbelt fit, more 30's halfbelt fi
IMG_0359_zps77f18f72.jpg

I reckon it's a Drifter not a Detroit. When you've got so many jackets I guess it's easy to loose track :cool:

http://www.alexanderleathers.com/sale/drifter-vintage-brown-steerhide.html

Plumbline

One Too Many
It is ... I stand corrected ..... I now have a Detroit ( like an Aero Bootlegger), Drifter and Long Rider ( Longer than an Aero Long Half Belt but similar in style without the bi-swing back).

Wore the Long Rider in Spain last week ... man it's a heavy jacket :)

Too cold in Chicago this week .. so wearign my Eastman ANJ-4

You're right .. I have too many jackets :) :) :) :)

Plumbline

One Too Many
Quick update .... the 44" DRIFTER ( as pictured at the start of this thread) was JUST too neat for me .... I know you guys like these jackets neat ... I, however, it appears like a little more moving room and decided it was too neat, it would probably have stretched out a little but was a fraction too neat for my liking. Spoke to Amanda at Alexanders and they made me a new one with the following adjustments :

46" chest not 44" .. with slightly shorter sleeve and same length as the 44"
1/2" more width in the lower sleeve ( I have arms like Popeye ... apparently :0) )
No studs on the front pocket flaps .. they don't need them and it's a pain to keep studding them shut and all I end up with is a little worn stud mark on the flap which pisses me off ...
Moleskin lower instead of cord ( it's just nicer ... and is a better colour match)
Heavy (Strome) Weathered Gordon Lochcarron lining ... I liked it better ... and label moved to bottom left panel as opposed to nape of neck

all the rest was the same as the original ... moleskin pocket bags etc. etc.

All in all ... MUCH better and a VERY happy customer (again)

Drifter1_zps2e5b2aee.jpg

Drifter2_zpsc1c268d3.jpg

Drifter3_zps095ae2c5.jpg

Drifter4_zps4620887e.jpg

Drifter5_zps463a757e.jpg

Scotia_steve

New in Town
I've just picked up a heavy brown steerhide roadster and a roadster in russet buffalo which I picked up direct from the factory on Saturday.

Love them both. Had the first roadster for two weeks and only now starting to break in.

The russet buffalo us simply stunning. I recommend you try to get one - the hides have incredible character!

I've been reading this forum for n age, only registered yesterday so will get pics up ASAP.

Love the drifter - on my next order!

One thing I wish the had was a black heavy thick smooth roadster - mid weight just ident do it for me.

schitzo

Suspended
The russet buffalo us simply stunning. I recommend you try to get one - the hides have incredible character!

.One thing I wish the had was a black heavy thick smooth roadster - mid weight just ident do it for me.

How's the weight on that russet buffalo roadster? I got a sample and it didn't feel as heavy as I expected it would be. Also, is this stuff actual bison hide or is 'russet buffalo' just the name of the colour - in which case what is that stuff? For me, and I'm no expert, it didn't live up to my expectations of what buffalo/bison (are these words interchangeable?) is, based on a wallet I once had in that hide. In my mind bison is thick yet pliable and very very tough. But I was able to scratch up that sample so easily. I agree it's a nice colour though, and I'm looking forward to these pics. If you wanna post em up tonight I'm cool with that

Scotia_steve

New in Town
How's the weight on that russet buffalo roadster? I got a sample and it didn't feel as heavy as I expected it would be. Also, is this stuff actual bison hide or is 'russet buffalo' just the name of the colour - in which case what is that stuff? For me, and I'm no expert, it didn't live up to my expectations of what buffalo/bison (are these words interchangeable?) is, based on a wallet I once had in that hide. In my mind bison is thick yet pliable and very very tough. But I was able to scratch up that sample so easily. I agree it's a nice colour though, and I'm looking forward to these pics. If you wanna post em up tonight I'm cool with that

So I was at the factory and wanted to choose a roadster - the buffalo just stood out, it's beautiful in person. The weight is the same as my heavy steer roadster, so it seems heavier, if not slightly thinner than the steer.

I had a good look at the hides they used - the variance over the hide is massive so your sample may have been a thinner piece.

It is buffalo, I'd guess water but not sure. It's a quality hide for sure. It is stunning and yes it marks easily - one of he things I liked about it. A ton of character. It is soft playable but tough. Stands on its own. There is a thin liner between the hide and moleskin due to the thinner nature I guess. But is is one heavy jacket!

So I was lucky, had my choice of anything there and went for this.

I'll get pics up later.

Now have to figure out what next.....

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Aw man, normally I keep the 'if you can't say something nice...' rule, but on this occasion... sorry, but that's hideous. Somewhere Fozzy Bear is feeling a chill wind around his backside. What were they thinking of? It makes that awful Belstaff rip-off of Will's almost look acceptable. :D

Capesofwrath

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider