Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
I was sitting on a bench at a shopping center, wearing my Jaxson Safari (more-or-less a Panama, in case "Safari" makes you think of a Pith Helmet.)
A guy about 30 said "Oh, a derby hat! It reminds me of the old gangsters, like Al Capone! You know, he died of syphillis... all that money he had but it didn't help him..."
There followed another minute (seemed like ten) on the topic of syphillis.
Finally(!): "By the way, I'm [name deleted]-- God Bless!"

I guess syphillis is not that bad........he could have said it reminded him of E-bowler.

Cliff

Duper

Practically Family
My wife and I where in a very busy local car dealership late this afternoon. I was standing in the showroom wearing my new brown Akubra Sydney and one of the sales men who was just rushing past stopped to say " Love your hat man", and then he continued on on his pressing task. I am enjoying this Plain Jane of a hat they call a Sydney.

tealseal

A-List Customer
On a recent trip to DC I got more comments on my hat than I ever have. I had my Cervo, and I'm 25.
First, a "I like your style" from a bellhop at the hotel.
Then, a gentleman came up to me at the Korean War Memorial and asked "Where did you get your fine, fine hat?" followed by a short discussion on where he could procure a similar accessory. The conversation concluded with "Thank you for wearing it. We need to bring that back."
Finally, at DCA, the woman behind the ticket counter commented on loving my "Clark Kent look" to which I replied "You should see what happens when I get out of a phone booth."

The exchange at the memorial was by far the most awesome.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Several times during the last few weeks, when I've been sporting vintage tie, vintage Knox Fedora and trenchcoat, I've had people make remarks along the lines of, "hey, you look like Mickey Spillane", or ,"Mmm, Dick Tracy", etc. All meant in a complimentary tone. Feels nice.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Got a nice compliment from a middle-aged guy at a local coffee shop. I was in my vintage silverbelly bashed-as-fedora OR, which with its shorter brim looks much like a Stratoliner. A customer who was leaving just as I was turned at the door and said, "Nice hat. You get that at Meyer's?" (Meyer the Hatter, in downtown NO) I'd actually gotten it from a Lounger, but rather than go into that -- he and I were both in a hurry -- I said, "No, eBay. It's vintage."

"Well, it looks right, you know? What's that called?"

"The Open Road, by Stetson."

"Open Road. Got it." And off he went.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Got a very nice compliment today, though it was I think the whole ensemble and not just the hat, as the hat I wore today is extremely humble by FL standards:
s1031223.jpg

I was also wearing a grey wool 3 button sportcoat with rollover lapel, sham button holes on the sleeves, notch collar, crimson canvas 5 button 4 pocket waistcoat with notch lapel, black dress shirt with a black and red tie with a sort of rectangular fleck and check pattern, black pleated wool trousers with suspenders and black leather oxfords.

Wife and I went to dinner and the mall for a bit. When I stepped out of the car a gentleman who was going to his car saw me and said in a very sincerely enthusiastic tone, "Whoa...you really pull that off, you know. That's awesome!" I think I may have blushed a bit lol but I smiled and said thank you very much.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I have been getting more compliments than I could really have imagined on this little stingy Resistol, and it has been a real hit at certain bars in town. I couldn't refuse one request from someone to wear it for the evening.

013copym.jpg

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I was wearing a Panama fedora once in a Starbucks and the barista said--and she was many years younger than me--"You are really working that hat. I wouldn't mind working that hat with you...." I never thought that hats would provide pick-up lines! As a middle-aged married guy I was flattered but took my latte and ran, just to be on the safe side.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
...As a middle-aged married guy I was flattered but took my latte and ran, just to be on the safe side.

Bravo, sir; clearly you are a gentleman. As a young married guy, I try not to notice very attractive females and I certainly try to evade any potential interest they have in me. Still, as you're heading off enjoying your latte, it's a great feeling to get such a compliment, no? :)

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Bravo, sir; clearly you are a gentleman. As a young married guy, I try not to notice very attractive females and I certainly try to evade any potential interest they have in me. Still, as you're heading off enjoying your latte, it's a great feeling to get such a compliment, no? :)

Doubly nice to feel flattered and virtuous--and caffeinated!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I gave a compliment yesterday; I saw a guy coming through the airport wearing a very nice dark gray fedora; he was also nicely attired in an overcoat, suit and tie with, I think, a scarf. I complimented his hat as he came by, basically just "very nice hat, I like that."

After he left, it occurred to me that maybe he was a Lounger! Wouldn't that be something!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I was wearing a Panama fedora once in a Starbucks and the barista said--and she was many years younger than me--"You are really working that hat. I wouldn't mind working that hat with you...." I never thought that hats would provide pick-up lines! As a middle-aged married guy I was flattered but took my latte and ran, just to be on the safe side.

Good for you, AO...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday during our schools Fitness Fest (for the kids), I wore the trousers (med. gray) from my c.late-'50s Harmony Clothes suit (I hung the jacket up), with black suspenders, a thin pinkish tie, a dark gray shirt, dark gray socks, and a pair of black Mezlan shoes, topped with a slate gray Dobbs panama (it gets warm early here in L.A.). Two parents independently remarked that I was "looking Mad Men," and a third just said that I looked fantastic (or something to that extent). I suppose the Man Men reference can be considered complimentary...

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
My wife and I went to a funeral the other day, dressed up to show our respect. I wore my pinstripe 3-piece suit and my grey Homburg. For the first time, I carried my walking stick, a longer version of a Shillelagh. Later on that evening, we went and visited my wife's grandmother. A woman born in the 20's, she is more accustomed to traditional style and dress and is still old-fashioned in nearly everything she does!
As we were walking out of the house, she told my wife: "He looks so smart in that suit and bowler hat!" I knew she wasn't complimenting my intellect, but rather my manner of dress. The compliment was the icing on my cake of the day.
Also, I was wearing cufflinks that used to belong to my this grandmother's father. It was a fun experience!!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I guess that's about the maximum compliment you could get wearing a hat. You could almost close the thread down right here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner