Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Last Saturday I visited Meyer the Hatter in downtown New Orleans to pick up a tweed cap, much better for walking in windy conditions than my fedoras. As it happened, I wore my silverbelly Royal De Luxe Open Road, bashed in fedora style. As I was leaving, Mr. Sam, the patriarch of the Meyer clan, came up to me and said, "Real nice Open Road. Where'd you get it?"

"From a member at the Fedora Lounge, on the Internet."

I doffed the hat and showed it to him. He nodded as he peered at the lining and sweatband. "I haven't seen one like that in forty years." In a lower voice: "How much did you pay?"

I told him. He nodded again, said, "You got a deal!", and disappeared back into the store.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Youa justa tella them that your name ees Salvatore the Scilian bootcher!!

Oh my God ,Here is a picture of me and my friend the one who I bring to Mass every week ,and his name is Sal ,I swear to God !
All the Best , Fashion Frank

DSCN1225.jpg

Samuel

Practically Family
I had a friend after seeing me in my brown Resistol xxxbeaver kitten finish, that I had, " Miles of Style"

That was a nice compliment.

5dmdu1.jpg

Last edited:

tealseal

A-List Customer
Any of y'all at LAS on Christmas?

I was waiting for my connection on Southwest at the Las Vegas airport on Christmas day. As I was in the passenger lounge, decked in my grey suit, blue shirt, and VS Blue Smoke "Theodore", a gentleman sitting across from me said, "Pardon, but I like the hat." My response, "Thank you!" His, "Where did you get that?" Mine, "It's an Vintage Silhouette by a man called Art Fawcett." Then he said, "Mhmm, I thought so. I love his work, looks great!" Then he went to his plane and I went to mine.

Pretty cool! Was it one of you guys?!

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Was heading over to the Courthouse today to leave an order for entry by the Judge and a 30-35'ish man, in a suit, smoking outside, looked at me and said sharp hat. Was wearing my Stetson Saxon in Caribou. I get lots of compliments on it, and I am wondering if it is the hat itself, or the fact that I am wearing such a dress hat? I never got compliments on my Akubra Stylemaster (then again, wife and I agreed that the acorn color and the fact that it has a much wider brim did nothing for me) and I do so hope people say that they love my Buckaroo Silverbelly hat I got on December 30th

-30-

A-List Customer
"I am wondering if it is the hat itself, or the fact that I am wearing such a dress hat?"
QUOTE: memphislawyer.

After all Due Dilligence and greater reflection, we will allow you to be the judge of that.

Regards,
-30-

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Today I went to my first antique store, and had some nice comments!

When I walked in, the workers there were towards the front, chatting amongst eachother. When the door closed behind me, they all stopped talking, and just looked in silence. As I walked away to browse I heard some of them say to eachother, "Wow, look at that Homburg!"

As I patrolled the aisles, a worker from the front, saw me again and walked over and said, "I saw you when you walked in, and now I see you again. Are we going back in time!!!" I could only smile and nod. She then said that she really thinks I look sharp, and said I look like I am fdrom the 40's! Boy, was I grinning then!

As I went downstairs (2-story shop) I was stared at some more by another worker, whom gave me a nod of approval, and while down there, the lady worker approached again, and started talking about how I dress and such. I told her that I think style needs to be brought back, and the 'gangsta' look needs to go. She replied with, "Well, maybe you can be the one who changes the trend around here. You look so sharp! I can't believe it! I feel like I am talking to someone from the past!" I then though of Lizzie's reply (can't remember the thread), and said back, "Well, you see, I am trapped in the future, and I have no way of going back home..." We both laughed really hard! I think it is safe to say that I know where I will be frequenting from now on... haha!

Wearing my Stevens OR clone at the grocery store yesterday, an older lady says, "I like your hat, sir". I told my wife and she said " You need to stop wearing those hats, I'm afraid they make you look too handsome"!

Duper

Practically Family
I get endless compliments on my red Stormy Kromer I wear here on our cold winter days and nights. Shop staff, people in line at the grocery store check out, folks at he dog park. My red SK and my bluegrass green CD are running neck and neck for drawing out positive comments.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
men ask where i got my hat

Tonight at dinner a gentleman came up and asked where I got my Stetson. I had been seated about 20 minutes earlier and wore the hat to the table. I was in a grey herringbone car coat and my Saxonis caribou/granite in color. I told him I got it at Mr. Hats. I also was asked by a good buddy at lunch who I hawd not seen in a while. Both said that I looked good in a hat and each made the comment that hats are coming back. I guess I am of an age,53 on the 29th, that it makes the wardrobe.

I did tell each that they could go up to Covington and get a custom for not much more than what my hat cost

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Left my butterscotch Biltmore President lying on the bed upstairs where my brother-in-law saw it. He came down and quickly said, "love your hat and gotta get one for myself."

I was wearing my 2-3/4" brim M&K Custom Hatters in BJ's yesterday. One of the more senior employees approached from ahead of me. As he passed me, he took on a huge grin and let everyone know, "That's a killer brim, man!"
The man was definitely in the know.

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
Stopped at Sears after church last week sporting a vintage velour Selentino Galaxy I bought from Lounger "Ordinary Guy". A young black man who worked there said "That's a nice fedora" and asked where I found it.

caul

New in Town
I was at a store the other day and the woman who was working checkout said I looked as handsome as Harrison Ford. I do not but it was certainly a nice compliment! She went on to tell me she actually had met Harrison Ford in the Cayman Islands. Her husband was a pilot for TWA and was instrumental in getting the Airlines Museum here in downtown KC going. Her and her husband were both heavily involved in this for several years until he passed. She said they were in the Cayman Islands at some kind of TWA reunion event and she was working a large tent they had set up with memorabilia. In walks Harrison with a woman (assumed to be his wife). The woman says, "you look just like Harrison Ford!" He laughed and said he gets that all the time. She then said, "You are Harrison Ford, aren't you?" He said no, he wasn't, he just looks like him. She gives him a deadpan looks and says "Lemme see your driver's license." He laughed again and declined but the woman he with leaned over and whispered "you got it right." She said they were nice and he was very interested in the stuff on display. So, I guess I got a nice compliment and a great story! The airline museum is pretty cool, we finally got around to going this past summer and it was nice to meet someone, just out of the blue, who was involved in it.

caul

New in Town
@Aaron- here's the website- http://www.airlinehistory.org/ It's at the downton airport. Basically, go to downtown KC, go across the bridge and follow the signs. They have hangar dances a couple times a year, with a big band. We haven't been to one of those yet. Need to learn some swing dancing first!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy