Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

This is something of an indirect compliment.

The other day some coworkers and me were in the elevator. I had my fedora in my hand (there were ladies ;) ), and one of them asked for me to try on the hat. I gave it to him; on trying, he said "I do not think I look well... it is too small." (it was truly small). Then, another one stated "And you are lacking loads of style, too.", to which the others concurred - the general consensus being that no one, except me, had the necessary style!

Aerol

A-List Customer
I was having a gelato at an outdoor cafe this afternoon. A guy in a passing pickup truck rolled down his window and shouted "nice hat, sir."

Totally unexpected, totally pleasant, totally pleasing.

Goose.

Practically Family
funneman said:
My ten year old son wore his brown Lord Tarleton to the Costco warehouse
over the weekend. When he got back he came running into the house,
his face was all lit up and he says "Dad, the guy at the check out said to me,
"Hey Dog, nice hat.""

;)

How cool for your son. We should all take a moment to say something nice and unexpected to someone each day. You can make the difference between a "day" and a "good day" for someone. Pay it forward you "dogs" :)

Aerol said:
Totally unexpected, totally pleasant, totally pleasing.
Wearing jeans, black t-shirt, my yellow and blue SPAM flip flops, and my Akubra Homburg (told ya my mom dresses me funny ;)). In fact, it was the same day I took my the pic for my "pencil" avatar.

ANYWAY, waiting at a crosswalk at a moderately busy intersection. Cars just toolin' by.
Then a utility truck (PG&E) stops at the crosswalk. I start crossing the street with a shaka wave
shaka.png
for "thanks" and the truck driver sticks his head out the window...says "Hey! Only reason I stopped to let you cross was to tell you that hat looks great on you. Wish I could wear one". I replied, "you can". He just shook his head with a smile and a thumb's up.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^ fun!

I have a habit of always complimenting people on their hats. usually "Sir, that's a nice hat"

But the last time I saw a phenomenal hat (aside form staring and poking my best friend going "look , look, LOOK. at that HAT." to which her reaction was "shush up! Chas is graduating, you can look at the hat later") It was a beautiful straw fedora. I couldn't get close to him to say anything w/o yelling it lol Still want to know where he got it :(

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was coming out of the grocery store this morning wearing bib overalls, work boots, and an old, sweat-stained, brown fedora. As I passed by this young lady in her late 20's to very early 30's, she said "nice hat". While I certainly appreciate a nice comment, I was a bit taken back. After all, it was a really worn hat and I was dressed for work in the garden. Not the usual attire/hat that would solicit a comment from a young lady. May be some people are easily impressed. [huh] Oh well, at may age I guess I'd better take a nice comment from a young woman whenever/however I can get it. :D

bd3

New in Town
very nice compliment

Back in the early spring I was working near where my 85 year old grandmother lives. I called her and asked her if I could take her to dinner and surprisingly she said she'd go. Usually she says she's already fixed dinner "but there is plenty" and I go eat with her.

Well, it was cool weather and I was wearing a pair of tan slacks, tan corduroy sport coat, brown dress shoes, white shirt and brown tie. I went inside to pick her up and help her to the car and it was just beginning to mist a bit.

When we got to the restaurant I let her out at the door. Parking lot was crowded so I had to park pretty far out. When I got out of the car I donned my dark brown Mallory Raider by Stetson and went inside the lobby of the restaurant. She was waiting for me there and looked at me for a moment. She had never seen me wear any kind of a hat and then she said, "In that hat you look just like my daddy. He always wore a hat just like that."

I don't think that one can get a better compliment from their grandma.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Two this weekend. Yesterday I was stepping out of the fabric store when a passing driving instructor yelled out the window that he liked my hat (Lee fedora).

Then, this morning I was walking into town with Cassie and the baby. I had on a 40s pinstripe 3-piece suit, red bowtie, and my boater due to the unexpectedly cloudless day. We passed a man on the sidewalk who doffed his flatcap and said 'Mornin', squire'. I smiled and tipped my hat.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
unshaven, dirty bluejeans, unbuttoned flannel shirt over a t-shirt, sneakers....and a fawn Stetson Chatham.

A 70-ish woman in an antique store told me how nice I looked in my hat and that she wished more men "weren't afraid" to wear a nice hat.

Dr Doran

This semester I have been teaching an ancient history course at San Quentin Prison. My students there really like my outfits and gear and they say it. One said about a month ago "I miss dressing up." Often they say I look like a "gangster" but at least they don't say "gangsta." I thought about saying "No, I'm not a gangster, just a gentleman from the 1940s" but then I thought: well, they're probably a bunch of murderers, so of course the criminal element from the period is what they will identify with.

Tonight I got the best compliment yet. I was wearing a gorgeous brown Jamaican jacket from the 1930s that Guttersnipe gave me, a 1930s tie, light beige dress shirt, brown wing tips and charcoal trousers, with a modern Stetson in cognac with darker brown ribbon. One of the inmates said, "Man, you lookin so sharp you gonna cut yourself."

I thought that was pretty cool.

Dr Doran

rrog said:
Doran, sounds like you've got some street cred going on!

rrog

These cats are pretty cool, and I think they would back me up in a fight ... it is not uninteresting to hear their take on e.g. Cicero either, or Catiline ("he was a straight-up gangster!")

Doran said:
This semester I have been teaching an ancient history course at San Quentin Prison. My students there really like my outfits and gear and they say it. One said about a month ago "I miss dressing up." Often they say I look like a "gangster" but at least they don't say "gangsta." I thought about saying "No, I'm not a gangster, just a gentleman from the 1940s" but then I thought: well, they're probably a bunch of murderers, so of course the criminal element from the period is what they will identify with.

Tonight I got the best compliment yet. I was wearing a gorgeous brown Jamaican jacket from the 1930s that Guttersnipe gave me, a 1930s tie, light beige dress shirt, brown wing tips and charcoal trousers, with a modern Stetson in cognac with darker brown ribbon. One of the inmates said, "Man, you lookin so sharp you gonna cut yourself."

I thought that was pretty cool.

Sharp enough to cut tomatoes. ;) :D

metropd

One Too Many

When a harden criminal thinks you look like an OG, I would just take that as a compliment.lol lol lol

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Over the last week I had two people wanted photos with me. Both times I was wearing my grey fedora and beige trenchcoat, which is ironically usually when I get the most stupid comments.

The first time I was at a firework display and I was also asked for an autograph. Five minutes later I was asked for the photo by some late teens.

The second time I was in a shopping centre and a group of teenage girls asked for my picture.

Naturally I complied both times, as well as with the autograph (though it was just on a hand with a highlighter pen).

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I was in a thrift shop the other day and the gentleman who was working there was wearing a Blue flat cap almost identical to the Black one I was wearing, I saw this and smiled, but didn't say anything as he was talking to someone at the time. Well after his conversation and as he was walking back to his desk he called out across the store "Hey, Nice hat!" with a chuckle. I replied "Thanks, Yours is nice too!"

made my day.

Dr Doran

Yesterday, some seven and a half hours after an execrable comment on campus (see "The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard" thread), I was at Berkeley Bowl, the greatest grocery store in the known world, with my daughter sitting in the shopping cart. I was bagging my own groceries, as is my wont. At that moment I was wearing a brown modern DB with faint turquoise pinstripes, oxblood and black saddle shoes, a wheat-colored vest, a 1920s tie, and my cognac modern fedora, which contrary to what i wrote above, is a Borsalino, not a Stetson. Plus a big DB cashmere belt-back overcoat that I bought for 10 dollars in perfect condition.

I feel a tap on my shoulder. A Baby Boomer with white beard is standing there and says "I just want you to know that I appreciate the way you dress, with the hat and everything. It's really nice."

That almost made up for the campus comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany