Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
tumblr_m7evc9KG921rxjpl0o1_500.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hats in Crisis: Summer 1932

Click to enlarge

Washington, D.C., July 4, 1932. Thousands of World War veterans demonstrate at the U.S. Capitol for immediate payment of their service bonuses. The marchers remained encamped in Washington until forcibly removed by Army units on July 28. The bonus stayed unpaid until a newly Democratic Congress put it thru in 1933.

Note the heavy preponderance of felt hats and wool caps despite the 90+ degree heat of a Washington summer. Most of the marchers had nothing else to wear - a cheap straw or cloth hat would not last, nor could they replace it. As for garrison caps, the wool article was the only one issued in WW1.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hats at Ease: Summer 1932

Click to enlarge

Cambridge, Mass., June 22, 1932. Baseball crowd, Harvard vs. Yale, Soldiers' Field. The Bulldog's bite didn't amount to much as the Crimson sailed to a 17-4 triumph under pitching ace Charlie Devens. That fall, Devens became a New York Yankee, and would live to be the last survivor of 1932's World Series champion team.

Hatwise, the classic Ivy League skimmer was all but mandatory in this well-heeled, patrician set (many surely sporting a Crimson ribbon). Light, soft panamas were yet to reach peak popularity - when seen, the English style optimo prevailed. Porkpie straws, such as on the gent at bottom center, must have looked a raffish indulgence.

Note the lack of men in light colored suits or even shirtsleeves. Temperature be damned - it was a weekday, and this was greater, but Proper, Boston!

Last edited:
Late 19th Century German style soft felt hat (known as the Fedora, Homburg, Alpine in America at that time). Mainz, Germany, late 19th Century. I picked this photo up a while back but never posted it.

7712646246_58d7af1615_b.jpg

7712663970_b03985f2ee_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany