Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Gone to the dogs. 1938.

Derby night MKC 1938 500x.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Arizona Rangers on the frontier.
1900_group-of-arizona-rangers_captain-thomas-h-rynning.jpg

private-bill-foster_arizona-ranger-badge_1895-winchester_deputy-sheriff-clark-farnsworth.jpg

Private Bill Foster wears his Arizona Ranger badge and holds the standard Ranger 1895 Winchester .30-40 lever-action rifle as he stands to the left of Deputy Sheriff Clark Farnsworth in 1903. Two years later, Farnsworth would enlist with the Rangers.

Note: Double belt cartridges around the waist has got to be for the camera.
I can’t see carrying this much weight all day while riding.

augustine-chacon.jpg

Augustine Chacon
A Mexican outlaw and folk hero in Arizona Territory, Augustine Chacon, was most known for a gunfight that took place after he and his gang robbed a store in Morenci, Arizona, in 1895. Chacon’s buddies were killed, but the posse captured him and took him to the jail in Clifton (at right). During the shoot-out, Chacon had killed posse member Pablo Salcido. Chacon was sentenced to hang for that murder in 1896, but he escaped jail the next year. In 1902, Arizona Ranger Capt. Burt Mossman set a trap by convincing outlaw Burt Alvord to help him capture Chacon.

Frontier justice.
chacon_hanging_1_-1.jpg

Chacon hanging amidst a plethora of Stetsons.

Last edited:
These poor folks sure wouldn't recognize Berkeley about 70 years later.
Several years ago a good friend spent a couple of hours in Berkeley during a trip to San Francisco. He later told me that while he was there he saw a single long-haired and bearded older gent walking down the street wearing faded blue jeans and a tie-dyed tee shirt, but that it looked so much like a costume that he was immediately convinced the Chamber of Commerce was paying the gent to walk around looking that way to remind the tourists of the town's hippie/counter-culture history.

Several years ago a good friend spent a couple of hours in Berkeley during a trip to San Francisco. He later told me that while he was there he saw a single long-haired and bearded older gent walking down the street wearing faded blue jeans and a tie-dyed tee shirt, but that it looked so much like a costume that he was immediately convinced the Chamber of Commerce was paying the gent to walk around looking that way to remind the tourists of the town's hippie/counter-culture history.
:) Far out Dude!:cool:

During WWII the country needed labor to harvest crops for the war effort. The Braceros program was an organized importation of labor from Mexico. Great story, we have some interesting images in the Archives. This one caught my eye the other day. A line of Braceros workers in line at the chow tent. Check out the brim on the guy at the end of the line!

P120_2783 Braceros food line 1944.jpg
P120_2783 Braceros food line 1944 detail.jpg

During WWII the country needed labor to harvest crops for the war effort. The Braceros program was an organized importation of labor from Mexico. Great story, we have some interesting images in the Archives. This one caught my eye the other day. A line of Braceros workers in line at the chow tent. Check out the brim on the guy at the end of the line!

View attachment 133297 View attachment 133298

He'd fit right in here.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24