Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Test to see if this embeds properly
photography_ProvidedCHO_Parisienne_de_Photographie_7191_1

French hat style, 1909.

Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I like this one. So much to see. I just can't imagine...I've spent some time in a tipi...all the comforts of home.

View attachment 138867
I have a friend that lived in a teepee for a summer, back in the day. Some other friends of mine and I built a hay topped "house" up in northern Wisconsin one summer. It was quite comfortable, but as I recall it was also home to any number of chigger like creatures that made for poor sleeping.
One thing I like in that photo is that each man has a completely different style of hat or cap.

Thanks,
Michael

I have a friend that lived in a teepee for a summer, back in the day. Some other friends of mine and I built a hay topped "house" up in northern Wisconsin one summer. It was quite comfortable, but as I recall it was also home to any number of chigger like creatures that made for poor sleeping.
One thing I like in that photo is that each man has a completely different style of hat or cap.

Thanks,
Michael
I enjoyed looking at their netting, poles, etc. As a kid we seined for shad & minnows for bait.

Sounds like the hay roofed house would have been fun to build & stay in for a while. I've always wanted to engineer a dugout. This one has collapsed in mostly, just a small portion of it's former self but it's 150 yrs old too. And it's been protected from public vandalism.

IMG_8999.JPG

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed looking at their netting, poles, etc. As a kid we seined for shad & minnows for bait.

Sounds like the hay roofed house would have been fun to build & stay in for a while. I've always wanted to engineer a dugout. This one has collapsed in mostly, just a small portion of it's former self but it's 150 yrs old too. And it's been protected from public vandalism.

View attachment 138871
I remember seining minnows, and catching frogs for bait. I think my brother-in-law still traps leeches in the spring for walleye bait.

If you want to look at dugouts taken to the extreme, page through this book. https://archive.org/details/craftsmenofneces00will . The section on north Africa has some amazing ones, of a different nature than the historical western US ones. It also has a wide variety of construction materials and methods from an arc through the middle east and eastern Europe up to Scandinavia and Lapland. I've spent many an hour looking at the photos.

Michael

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
View attachment 112030
Perhaps a fan of Dutch style hats!
He wore a uniform of black velveteen, with gold lace that extended from his wrist to his elbow,
a wide-collared blue sailor shirt with silver stars sewn on and a red necktie around his throat.
It is said that Custer wanted a distinctive uniform so his men could see him during combat.

The “Boy General”.
View attachment 112031

I just watch a video biography about his brother. He was truly a hero and it's a shame his actions have been overshadowed by his brother's foolish ones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Custer

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
1936 Stingy
DE_MUS_018313_879066

Dark single-breasted jacket made of wool fabric with wide lapels, the collar part is colored contrast. The jacket has weak tap edges and four patch pockets with creases. Calf-length Knickerbocker from the geichen material and bright knee socks. A bright felt hat with a narrow brim and a dark grosgrain ribbon

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21