Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Chilly day
A9DB3A05-5D25-4BF7-827A-6A9FFDA0B4E5.jpeg

C67DC2DA-737C-4487-9509-82E853DB0844.jpeg

Probably glass plate photography. I've seen some historical photos using that technology that look as good as HDTV, or better.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
I'm sure it was but with the slower lens/long exposure time everyone/everything would have to stay perfectly still. I have a small collection of glass slides for a Magic Lantern projector (pre moving picture films) & I don't think they are that sharp in focus.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
"Remember the Promises You Made in the Attic" was the slogan used to promote collection for future flood prevention.

Now THAT is one of the most poignant slogans I have ever heard! Here in the Appalachians, there are a lot of stories of mountain towns wiped out by flash floods. The stories always include tales of those who survived, or didn't, by seeking refuge in their attics.

When you work in the "Trim-A-Tree" dept
around Christmas and the boss knows you
do oil paintings....
And assigneds you to do the walls and cutouts of Santa, reindeers etc, standing around faked snow.
My wife has a childhood pic of her mom at Christmas time, on a stuffed reindeer, painted backdrop & a terrible Santa Claus (think "Bad Santa"). It was taken in some department store I'm sure. Hard to believe Christmas decorations were once so crude.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
1500.jpg

The adventurers and photographers Ellsworth and Emery Kolb on the Colorado river, circa 1911-12. ‘Ellsworth and Emery Kolb were the last of the Grand Canyon pioneers, and the most colorful,’ says Roger Naylor, who wrote a book about the brothers. ‘They dangled from ropes, clung to sheer cliff walls by their fingertips, climbed virtually inaccessible summits, ran seemingly impassable white-water rapids, braved the elements, and ventured into unknown wilderness – all for the sake of a photo’

Photograph: Courtesy of Grand Canyon National Park Museum Collection
Found this photo and text in the Guardian Newspaper today.

Michael

1500.jpg

The adventurers and photographers Ellsworth and Emery Kolb on the Colorado river, circa 1911-12. ‘Ellsworth and Emery Kolb were the last of the Grand Canyon pioneers, and the most colorful,’ says Roger Naylor, who wrote a book about the brothers. ‘They dangled from ropes, clung to sheer cliff walls by their fingertips, climbed virtually inaccessible summits, ran seemingly impassable white-water rapids, braved the elements, and ventured into unknown wilderness – all for the sake of a photo’

Photograph: Courtesy of Grand Canyon National Park Museum Collection
Found this photo and text in the Guardian Newspaper today.

Michael
I wonder if the Kolb brothers saw the Navajo place of emergence in the canyon; the Sipapu?

Don't know, HJ, but you might find the answer in this book
http://www.rogernaylor.com/books-1

Michael
The Sipapu & the Sipapuni is in the area of where the Little Colorado River empties into the Colorado River. That's very near where the Smithsonian removed Egyptian-like artifacts around the turn of the 20th century. That whole area has been restricted & off limits by the government since that time. Only the earliest of explorers could have possibly seen what was there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112