Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Vote tomorrow my fellow 'Muricans ... if you haven't already.

votemobile_1.jpg

Adenauer's Homburg Hat
Konrad Adenauer's "Homburg Hat" (r) is placed in the only hat museum of Germany in Bad Homburg, directly next to former US president Lyndon B. Johnson's (l) hat, photographed on the 28th of April in 1971. In the background the director of the "Homburger Heimat- und Hut Museum" (translates as "local and hat museum of Homburg") Gerd Wallrap. The museum was founded in 1960 and exhibits more than 600 hats. | usage worldwide (Photo by Manfred Rehm/picture alliance via Getty Images)

konrad-adenauers-homburg-hat-is-placed-in-the-only-hat-museum-of-in-picture-id1063488500

They're calling these Stetsons, but I wonder if they are Resistols? Whichever ... I'll take that row of 7-1/2s.

Stetson Hats
Stacks of Stetson hats at the ranch of President Lyndon Johnson, Johnson City, Texas, December 1963.(Photo by Stan Wayman/The LIFE Picture Collection via Getty Ima
ges)

View attachment 278695
It gets confusing. Supposedly LBJ's favorite was the Resistol Wide Country in 3X. Harry Rolnick made them in different sizes for President Johnson so he could give them away to friends and visitors (a la Ammon Carter). But they were said To be gold stamped on the sweatband "Made Expressly For President Lyndon B. Johnson". In SB only. The satin liner has an outline of the State of Texas and reads: "Johnson City LBJ Ranch". I've never seen one.

There was also a similar hat to the Wide Country but with a 2-3/4 brim, 4-1/2 @ the dip available in both 3X & 5X called (stamped?) the "Lyndon B." I've never seen one of those either.

If anyone has an example of either the Johnson City LBJ Ranch or the Lyndon B, please post it up in the appropriate Resistol threads.

Last edited:

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
It gets confusing. Supposedly LBJ's favorite was the Resistol Wide Country in 3X. Harry Rolnick made them in different sizes for President Johnson so he could give them away to friends and visitors (a la Ammon Carter). But they were said To be gold stamped on the sweatband "Made Expressly For President Lyndon B. Johnson". In SB only. The satin liner has an outline of the State of Texas and reads: "Johnson City LBJ Ranch". I've never seen one.
Yep. Not just said to be... dey is. I have one in its original box in my collection.
Resistol_LBJ_04.jpg
Resistol_LBJ_10.jpg

Attachments

• Resistol_LBJ_05.jpg
    Resistol_LBJ_05.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 418

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
Only that he gave these away, like you said. I don't remember what the size was, but it was smaller than LBJ's actual 7-3/8 hat size. It might have been a 7, but I don't remember and it is currently boxed up and unavailable for a quick check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner