Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

I need a top hat to play Ol’ Kris Kringle.

IMG_4348.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
It's interesting that hats worn in many of these old photos have much more organic creases. Lived in, for sure, but they are pretty cool looking hats nonetheless. I, on the other hand, obsess over every small detail of my hats and hardly ever wear my best ones! A modern day problem, I suppose, and a result of being able to easily afford more than one hat.

This drifted into my Facebook feed.

Timed or bulb operated photo taken by Charles E. Morris, the man in the suit, on the banks of the Yellowstone River in Montana in approx. 1906.

View attachment 568032

Mighty44

One Too Many
It's interesting that hats worn in many of these old photos have much more organic creases. Lived in, for sure, but they are pretty cool looking hats nonetheless. I, on the other hand, obsess over every small detail of my hats and hardly ever wear my best ones! A modern day problem, I suppose, and a result of being able to easily afford more than one hat.
I’m always amazed by that—and how random and asymmetrical most of the bashes look even on well-dressed commuters in the city.

I’m always amazed by that—and how random and asymmetrical most of the bashes look even on well-dressed commuters in the city.

We have to remember that society decided those men had to wear hats. In modern times we have the freedom to choose whether or not to wear a hat, but for them it was part of their daily "uniform" like their suits (if they were required to wear such). Most of them would rather not have bothered, or at least had the freedom to decide for themselves as we do now, so they didn't particularly care how their hats looked. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that most of them deliberately wore their hats sloppy in hopes that society would decide they were more of an eyesore than proper office wear, and discontinue their daily use.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom