Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
CROOKS_LIKE_US_15.jpg

Dig on the top coat too.

Cheers!

Dan

I've been poking around for historical pictures of Dayton, OH. Not much luck for online sources. The Dayton History site has some galleries, but not much before the 1950s, and most are street scenes or architectural - not a whole lot of people. I did find this one, though. If I could time travel, I'd go get a Champ hat.

Hitching_Post__Fays__Hardy_Shoes_1959.jpg

[video]http://www.engineersclubfoundation.org/longtail_video/ecd1935.html[/video]

There are very few recordings of Orville Wright speaking, as he was only known to have spoken publicly a couple of times. Once when he was in Paris, and he also spoke when he took over as President of the Engineers' Club of Dayton. In this clip, Charles Kettering and Col. Edward Deeds (who ain't no slouches in the invention department, either) talk about the history of The Club, and are joined at one point by Orville Wright.

One of the more iconic images of the Wrights, wearing the signature bowlers

MTI5OTYzNDY4NjcyNTI4MzU0.jpg

In tribute to this, there are a few of these benches around town. One, of course, in front of The Club...

hats-on-bench.jpg

There are a few photos I've been able to find where Orville's not wearing a flat cap or bowler

020903-o-9999b-085.jpg DDN8.jpg

But he apparently liked his bowlers, even as he got older...

orville_wright_inhatandcoat.jpg

Last edited:
Orville Wright and Henry Ford

DH_Orville-and-Ford-home_LoRes.jpg

Orville Wright, Major John F. Curry and Charles Lindbergh at Wright Air Field June 22, 1927

00765v_Orville_Wright,_Major_John_F._Curry,_and_Colonel_Charles_Lindbergh,_who_came_to_pay_Orville_a_personal_call_at_Wright_Field,_Dayton,_Ohio,_June_22,_1927.jpg

p148.jpg

On 17 December 1936, the NACA Executive Committee met at the home of Orville Wright, after which it posed out front with the host in the front row, center NACA's technical assistant in Europe, John J. Ide, an infrequent attender of NACA meetings, is in the center of the back row between John Victory and George Lewis. (National Archives)

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Joao,

I love that super-tall crown in the last picture. The one on the guy in the middle, behind the smoke, wearing a bandana round his neck. A great look..

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I'm doing some research to attempt a screen-accurate copy of Burgess Meredith's "Penguin" character in the 60's Batman series. Yeah, I'm a nerd. It'll be a second costume for next year's DragonCon if I can pull it off.

Anyway, while trying to find some decent shots of the outfit I ran across this pic of the actor in street clothes. He wears his hat well.

burgess-meredith.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran