Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
I'm sure some wouldn't regard these folks as "all stars", but an interesting vintage photo. The "Cairo Gang", British police anti republican agents in mufti, circa 1920, trying to appear like what they figured the locals looked like.
Cairo_gang.jpg

Wonder what he did for a living? Both hands appear to have some nubbin fingers & maybe a mangled thumb.
I'm going with "pugilist". His shorter hair and well-groomed mustache remind me of the promotional posters that advertised bare knuckle boxers like John A. Sullivan, and his hands (particularly the knuckles) look like they've seen quite a bit of abuse. :D

I'm going with "pugilist". His shorter hair and well-groomed mustache remind me of the promotional posters that advertised bare knuckle boxers like John A. Sullivan, and his hands (particularly the knuckles) look like they've seen quite a bit of abuse. :D
Hard to know what could have caused the apparent partial loss of so many digits. It's easy to lose fingers working with ropes & stock animals. Jesse James shot off the tip of one of his ring fingers while loading a cap & ball pistol. But neither situation would explain the loss of so many digits.

I had an uncle who as a 12 yr old boy lost a thumb in a combine.

I had an uncle who as a 12 yr old boy lost a thumb in a combine.

THAT was the first thing I thought of..... the many farmers and stockmen I knew growing up that were missing digits.........several of whom lost more than one........even knew one who lost an arm in an auger and another in a PTO shaft accident!!!

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I remember seeing canvas water bags like that, that you hung in front of the grill of your car. Somehow hot air passing thru kept the water cool.

Yes, that's right. The bags wept through (I think they were cotton canvas?), and the air coming into the radiator cooled the water through evaporative cooling. I bet you'd have hot water in that bag if you didn't take it off as soon as the vehicle stopped, though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk