Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

2C2F5EE4-9C8A-46B6-A8D9-2121FDF17A43.jpeg

MisplacedHillbilly

One of the Regulars
Center & right are definitely brothers but this pic is often misidentified as Frank & Jesse James.

View attachment 441497
Interesting photo, I really appreciate vintage pictures. One thing of note albeit not hat related, is the boots. When I wear square toe boots I've gotten "Those ain't REAL cowboy boots,they didn't have square toes back in the REAL cowboy days!, Thats a new fad!" From my observations square toes was prevalent from the 1600s up to the 1900s. In photos from the American Civil War and old west I see a majority of boots were squared off in the toe. Although in some the sole is square while the toe upper is more rounded. Not until the 1900s through the 20s do you see very pointed boots become prevalent. Not that they didn't exist before then there are always exceptions, but they were the exception not the rule imho.

Interesting photo, I really appreciate vintage pictures. One thing of note albeit not hat related, is the boots. When I wear square toe boots I've gotten "Those ain't REAL cowboy boots,they didn't have square toes back in the REAL cowboy days!, Thats a new fad!" From my observations square toes was prevalent from the 1600s up to the 1900s. In photos from the American Civil War and old west I see a majority of boots were squared off in the toe. Although in some the sole is square while the toe upper is more rounded. Not until the 1900s through the 20s do you see very pointed boots become prevalent. Not that they didn't exist before then there are always exceptions, but they were the exception not the rule imho.
Until boots & shoes were made on lasts there was no right & left side. I’m not aware of any square toe like you are thinking. These pics are 1870’s - 1880’s.

D41BDB2A-643F-492A-9EA6-4CBEC1D9CE90.jpeg

2E3C73E7-DF24-4D91-AAC8-92CB4B2CC147.jpeg

Horn Draoi

New in Town
With all due respect, that top photo ain’t the Pitchfork-they’re light on tall evergreens. Nice creases, interesting that they’d allow a photo using a makeshift “runnin’ iron,” an expedient rustler’s tool. The third photo, those look more like ‘70’s ”wallabies” to me, and the contemplative gent on the left end seems to be wearing sunglasses. Neat photo, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ