Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Los Angeles. Pershing Square, June 1944. Reading about the D-Day invasion.

02F60CBD-0AB1-4E0F-9885-EACB6288963B.jpeg

View attachment 433586

"June 17, 1946 - The first call using a regular commercial car telephone service was made in St. Louis. Offered by AT & T, the service cost $15 per month plus 30 to 40 cents per call. It wasn’t very mobile as the equipment weighed 80 pounds. The system could only handle three calls at a time in the entire city, basically a party line."
Party line....and they don't mean line dancing.........hmmmm....crap I am old..........I remember them, everybody listening to everybody.

Awesome medal!!! Is that your Jack? I will say that is not the same as the one in the picture....no ribbon, different hanger pin, medal itself has figures in the center. To me it looks like some GAR medals I have seen and or fraternal medals....could also be a Sons of Confederate Veterans or the like....
The pic is too dark for me to make out the medal but when you said it was a Maltese Cross the Southern Cross of Honor came to mind first. It was issued by the UDC at least twice. The first time was shortly after the formation of the UDC. Don’t know how many were issued, some were silver (maybe all of them?) & the veterans name was engraved in the bar. The cross was backed by a ribbon. The second issue came about 1910 as the 50th anniversary of the war began to gear up. We think veterans had to buy these, they were all bronze & the veteran could have them engraved. This one is mine.

In the 1980’s some fake reproduction medals in pewter started to show up.

…but the model and his wardrobe look like they're straight out of central casting circa 1973. I'd also bet that cigarette was made by R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company and someone tore off the filter.
Here’s something that is right out of central casting:

‘Your cynicism knows no bounds.” — Doc Holiday, Tombstone.

Howard Parker was a true cowboy in every sense of the word. He was a fourth generation Sandhills cowboy and rancher; a rodeo cowboy, announcer, and judge; an old west history buff and collector of western memorabilia; a western entertainer story teller and cowboy poet. In 1960. 1962, &1963 he won the NSRA Saddle Bronc Championship.

Daughter Lex Ann says “I’ll never forget the times younger men have told me that they looked to my dad as model for being a true-to-the-west cowboy; hand rolled cigarette, holstered six shooter, riding a half broke bronc all the while running down a coyote. My dad brought to life what young men thought they’d never see beyond a movie screen.”

Back in 2006 he was inducted posthumously into the Nebraska Cowboy Hall of Fame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana