Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
exquisitebones said:
LOL news years resolution cyber attack!!!!!!!!

I dont think its an attack, just a harsh critique on what this person uses for 'supplies'. No one is talking about her personally. No one knows her personally. I think you could compare it to how people feel about using fur.

LD

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
My boss equates it to someone tearing apart an heirloom quilt to make "something better." Basically, taking a treasure and turning it into eventual landfill. (Not that patterns don't sometimes wind up in landfills....but I would imagine kitchy ca-ca makes up a larger percentage.)
To quote Indiana Jones: It belongs in a museum!! :)

Okay...I'm done.
So what else did people miss out on buying this week? :)

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
MissAmelina said:
Not that patterns don't sometimes wind up in landfills...

Oooh... can you imagine how many Golden Era patterns might have been thrown away over the years by frustrated seamstresses and clueless family members?! :eek:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
It happens all the time. I have asked at thrift stores and estate sales for old patterns and have heard everything from "we throw them away because we don't know if they have all the pieces" to "we just use them as packaging for glass"
Since they were meant to be disposable and paper doesn't always age well it's really amazing that we have as many as we do.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
I dont think its an attack, just a harsh critique on what this person uses for 'supplies'. No one is talking about her personally. No one knows her personally. I think you could compare it to how people feel about using fur.

LD

I think exquisite meant to launch a cyber attack against the perpetrator of the pattern collage purse as a New Years resolution.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I just want to scream...or cry.

There was a gorgeous 50's cocktail dress for auction on ebay. I ended up just watching the item because I was more interested in my green velvet holiday dress (that I did win) and, I figured some other gal deserved to get her dream dress without me jacking up the price in a bid war. The dress sold for $66 and change. I felt okay letting it go, thinking somebody was going to be oh-so-thrilled.

Jokes on me! Same dress is now for sale elsewhere for $350! From $66 to $350. No happy auction winner, kindred vintage lover, dream dress person on the other end. :( I know it happens. I know it's the nature of supply and demand and free commerce, but boy, it smarts! I have to wonder if nice guys and gals really are destined to finish last.

Oh well, I suppose I will just have to be happy for the kindred vintage lover, dream dress gal who has the $350 to purchase it!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MissAmelina said:
Is this the thread where someone posted about finding a pattern they were searching for, decoupaged on the side of a basket?

Well....today a gal came in to the arts and crafts store where I work, and laid a *beautiful* yearbook from 1929 on my counter. It was really something, with detailed illustrations and gorgeous clothing and everything.

She then explained how she was going to cut the pages into little pieces for framing.

I about had a heart attack....my mouth dropped open and my face actually flushed. I wanted to snatch it out of her arms and take it to my magic tree house....where I could flip through it and eat fig newtons on sunny afternoons.

When she saw my reaction she flippantly said, "Yeah....SORRY."

And I replied, "Just please don't use any old dress patterns to make a basket."

And she said, "TOO LATE."

???????:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: ????????? lol lol

So I told her about us. And that is our passion to collect them. And she said, "Well it's my passion..."

"To destroy them." I interrupted.

Not very tactful, but you only live once. :p

I LOVE YOU! Good for you for sticking up for preservation!

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
23SkidooWithYou said:
I just want to scream...or cry.

There was a gorgeous 50's cocktail dress for auction on ebay. I ended up just watching the item because I was more interested in my green velvet holiday dress (that I did win) and, I figured some other gal deserved to get her dream dress without me jacking up the price in a bid war. The dress sold for $66 and change. I felt okay letting it go, thinking somebody was going to be oh-so-thrilled.

Jokes on me! Same dress is now for sale elsewhere for $350! From $66 to $350. No happy auction winner, kindred vintage lover, dream dress person on the other end. :( I know it happens. I know it's the nature of supply and demand and free commerce, but boy, it smarts! I have to wonder if nice guys and gals really are destined to finish last.

Oh well, I suppose I will just have to be happy for the kindred vintage lover, dream dress gal who has the $350 to purchase it!

I think I know exactly who you are talking about. i noticed this when this store had doubled the price of a dress my friend sold. and the coats are often tripled. OUCH.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
patt.jpg

5 mail orders 40-42 bust. $50

Not bad but not designs I really *needed* but still. :(

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This auction was a pain.
The first day of the auction I asked "Do you have any other pics and some size info on these. If you dont want to pay to host more pictures you can email me."

I dont get a reply back for two days (which is fine) saying thats all the pictures they have, sorry. So I asked again two days later, do you have the size info? They say, The patterns are already boxed and ready to ship, sorry.

Im thinking there is two days left on the listing! So I wrote this.
Thats genuinely disappointing. All Im asking for is more info on
an item you are selling and you appear to not want to provide it,
even though your listing says to ask for it.
Ive never had to go through this much of a hassle.

Its a shame because when I bid, I bid to win. But if it takes this
much just to get some basic info from you, nevermind.

I was going to risk it, but the seller blocked me lol The patterns went for only $41. Its a listing of 48 patterns. Should have gone for WAY more. Serves them right, the tool.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yeah, I was pretty cheesed by it, but Im looking on the bright side. Seems that pattern prices are on the decline. Ive seen some lots go for less than $3 a pattern. :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points