The ones that got away

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by Vanessa, Dec 20, 2005.

1. jetgirl

jetgirl One of the Regulars

Really?!

Wow! And it is a better size! Thank you and I'll send you a PM. :D

2. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

It was going to be a birthday gift to myself.

[​IMG]

DuBarry pattern catalog 200+ pages.

The highest I could go was $80 :(
    It went for $104 in the last few seconds. I knew I was gonna get sniped.

DuBarry patterns are my favorites too. Aw well.

LD

3. 23SkidooWithYou

23SkidooWithYou Practically Family

Awww...LD, I'm so sorry. I hope it doesn't ruin your birthday to have lost the catalog. In fact, I hope you find several juicy Dubary patterns instead!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

4. Joie DeVive

Joie DeVive One Too Many

I had a pretty severe heartache a few weeks back.
    After over a year of looking, I finally found a copy of this little beauty:
    [​IMG]
    and in my size to boot. The highest I could justify in this holiday season was $35 and it went for $37. I have to comfort myself by telling myself that it's likely the winning bidder put in a maximum bid way out of my price range rather than just a few dollars, so there's no way I could have won, but it sure stings. *sob!* :(
    Oh well, maybe it will come along again in another year or two...:eusa_doh:

5. Miss_Becky

Miss_Becky Familiar Face

ouch!

Lady Day, that makes my heart hurt! What a loss! :(

6. SayCici

SayCici Practically Family

Joie, I've definitely seen a lot of patterns like that go for way less! If the shoulder ties are all that set it apart from it's similar counterparts, I imagine that would be easy to improvise.
    [​IMG]
    Click to see the Etsy listing.

7. Joie DeVive

Joie DeVive One Too Many

Wow! That is super similar. I'll give it a look. Thanks!

8. Adele

Adele One of the Regulars

I've been starting to seriously look into books to learn about sewing before I even touch a machine, and I unfortunately got the time wrong for this book (went for eight dollars... the others I've seen that are up for bids still have thus far has been going forty dollars and up):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Insert sad face.

9. deadpandiva

deadpandiva Call Me a Cab

Search buy it now under the author or title. I found a bunch of sewing books that normally go for 30.00 or more for 3-5 dollars in buy it now auctions. The listing don't usually show a picture of the item but will gave a date and description. I don't now how old that book is but ones from the 40's-50's are plentiful.

10. MissAmelina

MissAmelina A-List Customer

Is this the thread where someone posted about finding a pattern they were searching for, decoupaged on the side of a basket?

Well....today a gal came in to the arts and crafts store where I work, and laid a *beautiful* yearbook from 1929 on my counter. It was really something, with detailed illustrations and gorgeous clothing and everything.

She then explained how she was going to cut the pages into little pieces for framing.

I about had a heart attack....my mouth dropped open and my face actually flushed. I wanted to snatch it out of her arms and take it to my magic tree house....where I could flip through it and eat fig newtons on sunny afternoons.

When she saw my reaction she flippantly said, "Yeah....SORRY."

And I replied, "Just please don't use any old dress patterns to make a basket."

And she said, "TOO LATE."

???????:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: ????????? lol lol

So I told her about us. And that is our passion to collect them. And she said, "Well it's my passion..."

"To destroy them." I interrupted.

Not very tactful, but you only live once. :p

11. Lady Day

Grrr!! People who do that to perfectly good items only do it because they cant make creative items themselves. Its like hunting panda and saying 'well SORRY I like panda meat'.

The tool.
    I hope karma comes back to her and someone decoupages their yearbook on her face! :rage:

LD

12. MissAmelina

I knew I could count on you share in my pain!! :)

13. Lily Powers

Lily Powers Practically Family

You mean like this Etsy seller?

[​IMG]
    Here's the description: "Happy Birthday, 1930s. Here's the handbag just for you! My tribute to handmade fashion!

Here is the original vintage pattern - NOT a REPRODUCTION -
    My original design, this purse or decorative box is antique decoupaged INSIDE and OUTSIDE as a great (and sentimental) way to preserve an original and rare vintage pattern - envelope, directions, and pattern pieces."

Freedom of expression can be a painful thing to behold. :(

Oh, and she is offering it for the bargain price of $135!!
    :eek:

14. zendy

zendy A-List Customer

:cry: NOOOOOOOOO! I can't take it. This is actually causing me chest pain.

15. Lauren

Lauren Distinguished Service Award

That story hurts. Ouch.
    I actually kind of like that bag- hopefully the pattern was really, really incomplete before it got pasted. I like the idea of the patterns being framed as art rather than being pasted, though- you could do as well with a nice photocopy for decoupage. It is kind of nice to think of incomplete patterns having a future life, too, but not nice, complete ones.
    With all the paper that's around- musty, falling off of it's hinges, with foxing or stains or incomplete- it's a shame people cut up nice things that have future use in their original state.

16. exquisitebones

exquisitebones A-List Customer

I nearly cried the first time I saw that too.. I actually emailed her! lol
    She said she only used patterns that were missing lots of pieces.. lets hope she is telling the truth :D

But yes, its indeed painful to see :eusa_doh:

17. Lady Day

She should say that in her listings. Seriously.
    Someone should tell her 'preservation' means keeping an item in its original state to be used for its original purpose. Not a shellacked taxidermy shadow of its former self.

LD

18. MissAmelina

:eek:fftopic:

NICE xmas avatar there, LD.

19. Lily Powers

Lily Powers Practically Family

Love that line!

I also tend to take exception to her "great (and sentimental) way to preserve an original and rare vintage pattern - envelope, directions, and pattern pieces." Personally, a great and sentimental way to preserve them would be to use them and wear the clothing you make from them. But, it's Christmas time, and who am I to judge? :eek: Maybe after the 1st of the year though, then she and her ilk are fair game!

20. exquisitebones

exquisitebones A-List Customer

LOL news years resolution cyber attack!!!!!!!!

:eek: :D