Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Sunny, I feel your pain. I love 30s knit suits. I bought one about 3 years ago very cheap, then decided that I could really do with some more. Since then the prices have gone sky high and I haven't been able to win any more!

Luckily I am on an Ebay diet, so I didn't see that beautiful green one. Seeing and not being able to bid would have been too, too sad.

Sunny

One Too Many
This one takes the cake. The two 1930s knit suits I posted above were amazing and got deservedly high winning bids. But this?

1alav1-1.jpg

For $167.48.

I'm still not even sure it is 1930s. The length and style could be easily later 1940s, when knit suits became again extremely popular. Either way, that's a pretty ridiculous price. It must have been two persons' dream dress to go up that high.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sunny said:
This one takes the cake. The two 1930s knit suits I posted above were amazing and got deservedly high winning bids. But this?

1alav1-1.jpg

For $167.48.

I'm still not even sure it is 1930s. The length and style could be easily later 1940s, when knit suits became again extremely popular. Either way, that's a pretty ridiculous price. It must have been two persons' dream dress to go up that high.

Sorry, I disagree. That would easily sell up to $350 here in the San Francisco Bay Area, if in perfect condition. Thoughts, Miss 1929?

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Technically, they didn't get away because I was only watching them. But of course, the instances I don't bid, the items go for dirt cheap :rage:

$20.50 :eek:
blushsuitgaleb3.jpg

$14.49...that is just madness!
picture0134pf2.jpg

The measurements are just my size, too. :(

Sunny

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Sorry, I disagree. That would easily sell up to $350 here in the San Francisco Bay Area, if in perfect condition. Thoughts, Miss 1929?
Obviously I don't live in SF. It's still ridiculous, to me, in comparison to other ebay prices. If such things routinely go for $350 there, I'm left wondering how I can buy anything.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oh noes, Sunny! That first one with the ruffles down the front is to die for!
I agree with you on the price of the purple. It's pretty, but it seems wierd to me to pay that much for something like that. I also think it's later. I have a blue one like that that I made more 30's by adding contrast and a belt, though. Just crazy how high these go for now. Shame, cause I really love them, but I'm cheap and won't pay the high prices.

Vintage Betty

Sunny said:
Obviously I don't live in SF. It's still ridiculous, to me, in comparison to other ebay prices. If such things routinely go for $350 there, I'm left wondering how I can buy anything.

I think I need to clarify myself.

Ebay prices DO NOT EQUAL retail store prices in most cases.

I believe Ebay buyers have a perception that because something is "ebay price" that item is equal to a price in a store with rent, insurance, employees, benefits (if they are lucky), taxes, theft and more.

In many cases, items shown on ebay are something someone has put up from their personal collection to obtain money with no overhead. People often compare these personal offerings and resulting prices with retail prices at brick and mortar merchants.

Obviously, with the turn in ebay policy and management, those offerings are changing to more merchant-oriented offerings. However, it still remains that vendors who run "internet only" stores have significant less overhead than retail merchants.

The price I told you is NOT normal for San Francisco. What I said is that the pricing could run "as high" to that price, as there are some very high end shops in the San Francisco Bay Area who only offer pristine items which have been mended and cleaned or deadstock. If you take the pricing for the rent and all the extras I mentioned, plus the repair and cleaning services, the price I mentioned could be offered at that price.

Sorry, but this particular topic hits a pet peeve of mine. Ebay prices do not reflect retail pricing, they reflect the pricing that someone is willing to pay for that item. The two prices are often far apart in reality.

Off my soapbox now.

Vintage Betty

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I guess, to me at least, the prices on ebay are getting quite ridiculous because you can't see the item firsthand. In a store I might pay $160 because I could try it on and examine condition in person but on ebay? With not very good pictures? Kind of silly, but that's just my opinion.

decodoll

Practically Family
That purple dress could totally go for that price in SF, but yeah, I wouldn't say that is really the norm. San Francisco is a pretty pricey place to have a shop, so it is understandable that the prices do reflect that. eBay started to get so crazy at one point though that I could get vintage dresses cheaper at La Rosa. I think eBay prices have started to come down a bit since then for the most part. I've been told that La Rosa doesn't make money... it is the owner's pet store where he puts all his nicest things, but his other stores selling 70's and 80's stuff pay for it.

Vintage Betty

Lauren said:
I guess, to me at least, the prices on ebay are getting quite ridiculous because you can't see the item firsthand. In a store I might pay $160 because I could try it on and examine condition in person but on ebay? With not very good pictures? Kind of silly, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for letting me rant. ;)

What I don't understand is...not asking questions? I've seen some fuzzy-pictured items go for hundreds of dollars and nary a question is asked. What's up with that?

decodoll

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
Thanks for letting me rant. ;)

What I don't understand is...not asking questions? I've seen some fuzzy-pictured items go for hundreds of dollars and nary a question is asked. What's up with that?

It's possible people are, and the seller just isn't posting it for all to see. I've asked questions about things in the past that never showed up in the questions section down at the bottom. I usually just pass on things with bad pictures though. If they can't even take the time to take a decent picture, it makes me wonder how the rest of the transaction will go.

Sunny

One Too Many
I understood all that you meant, Vintage Betty, even before your rant. I would like to point out that this was an ebay auction; this thread is mostly about ebay items; and the posts, and prices, and comments ought to be considered in that context. I have never resentfully compared ebay prices to other store prices, whether brick-and-mortar or other online sites. Furthermore, when "shopping" I always keep in mind the likelihood that somewhere in the world there is someone who will pay anything for a particular item, whether or not it's usually worth that. And I like to make a comment when it seems that that someone has made an appearance on ebay and paid what seems to me an unusually high price for ebay.

:)

Lorena B

Practically Family
Sunny said:
1930s knit suits.

The green one, long sleeve, for $92.07. Barely outbid. :(

163374465_o.jpg

Rose pink with velvet bows, gold and maroon bakelite buckle, and matching slip. $102.50. :(

0c80_1.jpg

And a 1930s opera coat: black velvet trimmed with rabbit, long sleeves, and very long overall (58"). Somebody sprung for the Buy It Now of $199. :eek: :(

opera2.jpg
GEEE!! that green dress was just beautiful!!!

PS

A-List Customer
raspdress.jpg

we both bid in the last second. i lost. if the lucky winner is from around here, let me know if it doesn't work for you. i'd gladly purchase it from you.
even my husband was sad i didn't win this one. ohhhh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt