The Open Road Guild

Discussion in 'Hats' started by John in Covina, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

All over again.

Frunobulax likes this.
  2. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

It's why we keep coming back!

Bamaboots likes this.
  3. glider

glider One of the Regulars

I have an Open Road in Silver belly, I'd like one in Mink or Black I think.

4. glider

Actually I have a western Stetson with a cattlemans bash that I would like to cut the brim down to an open road size. The crown is probably a little to tall to pass as an open road but it would be close. It's the hat I'm wearing in my picture to the left. Anyone know where I could get that done. I know it's a pretty simple thing but I don't want to do my first one on that hat.

deadlyhandsome and Rmccamey like this.
  5. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

Most any local hat shop can cut down a brim while you wait. Just be sure what you want; you can take away but you can't add to!

M Hatman and Ross Young like this.
  6. glider

Levine is the only hat store in the St Louis area. They have been in business for a very long time, even had a hat factory at one time. They no longer do any alterations. It's about the third generation that has the store now, great people. At any rate does anyone know a good place I could mail a hat for work ?

Jhoff_1979 likes this.
  7. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

Hatman Jack in Wichita

hatsRme likes this.
  8. glider

Thanks, I'll look him up.

9. THAT is good advice......and leads to a point I was making earlier on altered hats. Someone found a cut brim wide ribbon OR from the 50-60's with very obviously the original sweat and thought: "no way a men's shop originally selling that hat would have changed the ribbon or cut the brim". When in fact they could very well have, as a LOT of shops had in house tailors quite capable of that small work AND even if THEY did not, many towns had specific hat shops that would. And you do NOT need to remove or replace a sweat to change out a ribbon, OR, cut down a brim........then or now.

10. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

If it's a 50s-60s OR with a wide ribbon, it's definitely been altered.

11. AGREED!!!! BUT, there are several here (not me obviously) that want to believe that they have found a Unicorn from Stetson.....they all need to give it more thought about what has happened (or could have) to the hat since it left the factory and or store, some 70 odd years ago.......

12. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

As I recall, Matt Deckard had a few one-offs on eBay recently. Maybe unicorns do exist.

13. Did he show and say they were unaltered since leaving the factory? If so I want to see the documentation.........
    Sterling Hat.jpg Trimming.jpg
    main-qimg-c3dc4002ca2eaf9c0cfb036865f1794c-c.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  14. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

15. Oh, so new stuff......we have been discussing vintage.....at least I was.
    With your altered reply above and this new one, you are on both sides...:eek:;);)
    On the new ones I would take his word...heck HE probably made them...or directly oversaw the production.;)
    I will say for vintage, unless he himself found them in the Stetson attic he has no better way to tell than we do after 70 years.....:rolleyes: Even the Stetson Attic has changed over the years.....from Philadelphia to St Louis and on to Texas...
    M:)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  16. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

My new Royal De Luxe OR:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

Sweet one, Brent. You can stop collecting hats now :)

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  18. deadlyhandsome

Yep, this is my last hat honey...sorry, I thought I was talking to my wife ;)

PanosChris and Rmccamey like this.
  19. That looks like a nice one! Are there any tags behind the sweat? Also any evidence of a wind cord? That one should have had one.....which many people do remove....unfortunately....of course pretty easy to replace....but it does look great without too........nice get!

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  20. deadlyhandsome

Thanks, Mark. I flipped the sweatband down and poked around under the sewed in liner...no tags or labels. Strange. I don’t see any indicators of a wind cord. I don’t like wind cords, and order my custom hats without them, but I don’t remove them from vintage hats. By the way, the felt is wonderful...better than my higher price point 3X of the same vintage, which is odd.

M Hatman, Rmccamey and AbbaDatDeHat like this.