Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

... The ribbon was definitely changed as you can see the shadow of the previous one at the bow. Any guess as to it's age? ...

DSC8038a-L.jpg

DSC8039a-L.jpg

That is definitely not the OEM ribbon of an Open Road. Could be late 50's to early 60's.
Can you get a closer photo of the size tag & the 3X marking on the sweatband that you mentioned?
Love those monogrammed Last Drop liners!

Blooze

Familiar Face
That is definitely not the OEM ribbon of an Open Road. Could be late 50's to early 60's.
Can you get a closer photo of the size tag & the 3X marking on the sweatband that you mentioned?

Out of town right now, so here's the best I can do cropping my previous pics.
DSC_8039c.jpg

DSC_8039b.jpg

Blooze

Familiar Face

OK. Better pics now that I'm home.

P1010600-M.jpg

P1010601-M.jpg

Blooze

Familiar Face
Having the 7 with the 3/8 & the square 3X emblem on the sweat, I'd go mid 1960s. YRMV

Thanks. I guess I'll set some $$$ aside and send this off to Optimo to get cleaned, blocked, new ribbon, etc.... If the bound edge is truly gold that may have to go.

Thanks. I guess I'll set some $$$ aside and send this off to Optimo to get cleaned, blocked, new ribbon, etc.... If the bound edge is truly gold that may have to go.
That edge binding has a great deal of patina to it. I'd get Optimo to do a full renovation on the edge binding & hatband ribbon back to Open Road style. They will try to use the liner & sweatband if they are serviceable. I'd take the liner out before sending it off. If they can't keep the sweat, ask them to return it if it means anything to you. I have 2 ORs that Optimo did full renovations on for me & was very pleased with the service.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Here's mine... I'm not sure how old it is. But aside from the wind cord, it looks pretty close to the pic.

Not really the same hat. Probably 20 years or more separate the two. Much changed during that time. Though it's true that much remained constant too. It's a question of perspective and detail.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
It looks exactly like my father's OR he bought back around 1979 as I recall. It was the last hat he ever bought as he died in 1997. Everything about yours from the sweat to the liner to the 4x Beaver imprint is the same. Unfortunately my mother put it out in the garage when she moved some things of his after his death and the moths have done a good job on it :( But I still keep it as it was his .

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
OR1.jpg

So I did alright? I think it was around 5 bucks at a thrift store. The lady was redoing her front window and she was about to stage this on a bunch of stacked suitcases. Even though it's not my size, I just couldn't stand to see it spend what's left of it's life getting bleached by the sun.

HatsEnough

Banned
... with the pin, I'm guessing 1960s or 70s? What's the liner look like?

Still, I like the way the ribbon and binding aged. The color offsets the hat body color nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner