Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

glider

A-List Customer
Thanks all for your thoughts. Regarding the fit, I find that the top of my head touches the crown when I put it on. Should this be the case? I've found differing opinions online, so wanted to hear your thoughts
It might be the fit, I have a few hats that are actually on the large side for me that really go down on my head, that doesn't bother me at all.

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
6X Open Road today.
FB_IMG_1621728619122.jpg FB_IMG_1621728622194.jpg FB_IMG_1621728625465.jpg

Another one that came in from Oslo is this one. Filled a gap in my collection that was there to fill.
Stetson 3X beaver Open Road in silverbelly. You know these hats better than I do. Not as stiff as I had expected and I really like the shallow brim flange.

stetson-open-road_01-jpg.309623
stetson-open-road_02-jpg.309624
stetson-open-road_03-jpg.309625
stetson-open-road_04-jpg.309626
stetson-open-road_06-jpg.309627
stetson-open-road_07-jpg.309628
stetson-open-road_08-jpg.309629
stetson-open-road_09-jpg.309630
stetson-open-road_11-jpg.309631
stetson-open-road_12-jpg.309632
very, VERY, NICE!!!!
Welcome to the club Stefan!!!;)
Next will be a 7X then a hundred!!!:eek:
And even perhaps a couple of different colors....o_O
And THEN.....they will be all you wear!!! (in rotation of course):eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;):p

rediius

New in Town
Does anyone know when they stopped with the 4X and went to the 6X ORs?

I recently picked up an affordable black Open Road 4x with a holographic sticker and assumed it was basically current production. Are you telling me this version is already discontinued?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I recently picked up an affordable black Open Road 4x with a holographic sticker and assumed it was basically current production. Are you telling me this version is already discontinued?

I don't think the 4x has been current for a long time, probably 80's or 90's. I could be wrong, but I believe the western grade OR has been at 6x for quite some time. 4x currently designates a wool or buffalo hat. The current offerings are 6x, Royal Deluxe, Pure Beaver, 100x.

rediius

New in Town
I don't think the 4x has been current for a long time, probably 80's or 90's. I could be wrong, but I believe the western grade OR has been at 6x for quite some time. 4x currently designates a wool or buffalo hat. The current offerings are 6x, Royal Deluxe, Pure Beaver, 100x.

Well, according to the sweatband it's a 4x Beaver. Does that help anyone with a more accurate date or value? Sticker picture also included. I just bought this thing to wear and I hope I didn't accidentally pick up anything (super) collectible because I tend to sweat through my clothes often here in North Carolina. My only previous Stetson was the Army's cavalry hat, and even that's a 5x (which I affectionately consider "military grade").

Attachments

• 20210601_165509.jpg
    20210601_165509.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 662
  • 20210601_165546.jpg
    20210601_165546.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 740
Well, according to the sweatband it's a 4x Beaver. Does that help anyone with a more accurate date or value? Sticker picture also included. I just bought this thing to wear and I hope I didn't accidentally pick up anything (super) collectible because I tend to sweat through my clothes often here in North Carolina. My only previous Stetson was the Army's cavalry hat, and even that's a 5x (which I affectionately consider "military grade").
I don’t know what that sticker is but it is not the laser cut 150th anniversary sticker. It was a prism effect. It would appear that you have a close to NOS 4X Beaver OR.

Rufus1401

New in Town
How was the Stetson Cavalry ? Any good ?

crism1

New in Town
Hello there, I wanted to shell some money on an Open Road but these are not to be found on the Stetson European website. If I go on the American server there's probably a script gatekeeping potential foreign buyers since ALL THE HATS (ALL OF THEM!) are out of stock for months.

How am I supposed to get one guys?

Hello. Maybe list your specifics here or in the classifieds as a WTB. In regards to specifics: where you’re located, hat size, specific OR if you’re aware of it and budget. Perhaps some of us here can help you out.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hello there, I wanted to shell some money on an Open Road but these are not to be found on the Stetson European website. If I go on the American server there's probably a script gatekeeping potential foreign buyers since ALL THE HATS (ALL OF THEM!) are out of stock for months.

Looks like JJ will ship internationally for $50 usd. Don't know if that's a deal breaker for you or not. They're currently 25% off for Fathers Day, so you'd be around $230 shipped for the Royal Deluxe version:
https://www.jjhatcenter.com/products/the-deluxe-open-road?_pos=3&_sid=a1c580c3a&_ss=r

One2 Miniranch has a better price but no details on intl shipping other than advising to go through their eBay store.
https://www.one2miniranch.com/stetson-royal-deluxe-fur-open-road-western-hat/o

We usually recommend vintage over new though, perhaps a lounger might have an extra kicking around if you post a classified.

What size are you?

There are many threads and posts that discuss the ever changing meaning of the “X” count on felt hats. A 1980s 4X is a completely different felt from a 2021 4X. This 4X could be a better grade of felt than a 5X. Confusing, right?

Your hat looks to be of recent manufacture (last 40 years) and probably isn’t very collectible. Wear it without worry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk