Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome, Doug. You'll like it here. Lots of really good folks who love hats and other things vintage.

DougC

Practically Family
thanks for the welcome--I need a vintage OR to compliment the new hats. I also need one of those non-Stetsons by Stetson to make an interesting addition. This is really going to be expensive--but, I have collected hats my entire life. There is an attorney lounge further down the board that I've promised picture to--I'll post here too as soon as I learn how to post pics.

GClark

One of the Regulars
Posted this in the new hat thread, but thought you guys might be able to tell me if this is indeed an Open Road.

Just got this in via ebay, and it was billed as a 1950s Stetson Open Road.
The hat had been rennovated (more than had been clear in the description) and the sweat has been replaced, it appears. I'm not really even sure it is an Open Road - what do you guys think?
2 5/8" brim, 4 3/4 inch crown height (shaped)

OpenRoad1.jpg

OpenRoad13.jpg

OpenRoad2.jpg

OpenRoad3.jpg

OpenRoad6.jpg

OpenRoad5.jpg

OpenRoad11.jpg

Sure looks like it could've started out as one but I have a 25 that looks just like an OR but doesn't say Open Road anywhere. I've also had a 3X that did the same. Some specifically say Open Road or The Open Road where others that look identical just don't. Go figure... [huh]

DougC said:
For what its worth--the two I bought brand new last month don't say open road anywhere on the hat, just on the boxes.
Do they have a tag behind the sweatband? A modern OR I had recently had no markings except on the printed tag with style, size & color, something like OPNRD....[huh]

kiltie

Practically Family
DougC said:
Good day, Gents! I live in San Antonio and office across the street from Paris Hatters. As a result, I have bought two Stetson Open Roads from Abe in the last four weeks--I can tell this is going to be an expensive location. One is retaining the cowboy look and gets worn the most. The other was re-shaped in a tear drop.

While I am not a member of the guild yet, please allow this to be my application.

Seperately, I stopped by Paris Hatters today to see what I could see. and learned Paris has two special color ORs made for them specifically..light brown and gray. I'll pick up a gray one when I can for a diamond bash. I also learned the OR is one of two styles that have been in the Stetson line for over 100 years.

Hiya, DougC

I work a #1's fire station, right behing the Alamo. Convenient for dropping hats by Paris for cleaning and reblocking, etc...

DougC

Practically Family
Kiltie--I go by your station every day. Seems to be the fastest way to the office. You know, I was hesitant about going downtown for an office, but, it has not disappointed. Stop by sometime to say hello--I'll send a pm with the address.

Brown OR

Welcome to the Lounge DougC. I'm interested in the brown OR that Paris Hatters has made for them that you had mentioned before. How "light brown" is the color? I'd sure like to find an OR in like a medium brown. I have one OR that is a pale tan. I also have a black OR and a gray Resistol San Antonio as well as a straw OR.

DougC

Practically Family
I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow (and post my two hats as well). I can tell you, Abe is getting to know me pretty well--I bought two hats, my father-in-law bought a hat, I bought another hat for my dad, and I bought a hat for my (law) partner's birthday present. My wife has cut me off from buying hats until the new year...thankfully, it's December!

As for the color, it's a nice medium shade of brown. The ribbon is a little lighter in color than the hat.

DougC

Practically Family
GentlemanFarmer--the Paris Hatters website is down and currently being reconstructed. When I figure out how to get a picture off my phone and onto my computer, I'll post a couple pictures of th brown OR for you. or, send me you e-mail and I'll send it directly to you from the phone. FYI--the color is a nice medium brown--not sure if I like it more than the gray, very nice hat.

DougC

Practically Family
Gentlemanfarmer--picture is on its way from my phone. Let me know if you need more.

Wore my OR for a few hours today in the rain--a friend tried to warn me that I was going to ruin the hat--Took it off when I got home and it dried perfectly! Great hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ