Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Dogface

New in Town
Well, I will say this. My first post on this thread gave a link to a pic of a hat that I was told was an OR. Deputy replied that 'proof of Open Road-ness was required to post on this forum' Oh...excuse me! Other members...or wannabe's...have been denied ? membership ? because the sweat band did not say 'Open Road' even though it mighta been a vintage Stetson with obvious OR bash...blah blah. If this was all tongue in cheek then I must confess I missed it cuz it sure sounded serious and aloof to me. As for the vanity statement, I've perceived this on this website but not actually on the OR Guild thread. If you all missed that then you're not paying attention ;) Guys posting pics of themselves in some new fedora followed by pages of fawning. [huh]

So I guess my 'new to me' vintage Stetson 25 from Wyoming in pristine condition does not qualify cuz, though it's an obvious OR it does not SAY so inside. Oh well, I love the hat anyway and always have loved them. I guess I'll just lurk when/if I feel like it ;)

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

John in Covina said:
From post Number one to Remind everyone:

To those that achieve this great quest is bestowed title of "Open Road Guild Member." Keep sending those pictures!

And non Stetson facsimiles such as the Dobbs Westward and the Mallory Dallas will be considered as Honorary members since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

It doesn't have to say Open Road to be a member! Whether regular or honorary, it: the hat, should, should fall into the dimensional specs and have the usual features. As such there are other fedoras that are an overlay inspite of other names or no names.

If every one would send in a list of their Open Roads with size and give dimensional info we'll find that the crown height and brim width changes,

Even the thin ribbon may not be set in stone, but I would say the bound edge and thin ribbon seems to be the most consistant theme.

As to brim size and crown height that may have a fair range but still be an OR or clone.

Dogface

New in Town
Lefty said:
What's an OR bash? Look through this thread and you'll see them shaped in many ways. Now you're the one being exclusive.

Oh, not at all. You know that the OR comes, or so I thought, in a specific 'cattleman' type bash from the factory. If some come/came as an open crown I must admit that I didn't know that. I certainly have no problem with guys who bash an OR...or any other hat...into a style that they particularly like. If I had more than one I might well create a Stratoliner with it. I'm fairly tall so I like a wider brim which the OR has. I'm on flea bay often looking for another one I can bash into something else I like.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Dogface said:
Well, I will say this. My first post on this thread gave a link to a pic of a hat that I was told was an OR. Deputy replied that 'proof of Open Road-ness was required to post on this forum' Oh...excuse me! Other members...or wannabe's...have been denied ? membership ? because the sweat band did not say 'Open Road' even though it mighta been a vintage Stetson with obvious OR bash...blah blah. If this was all tongue in cheek then I must confess I missed it cuz it sure sounded serious and aloof to me. As for the vanity statement, I've perceived this on this website but not actually on the OR Guild thread. If you all missed that then you're not paying attention ;) Guys posting pics of themselves in some new fedora followed by pages of fawning. [huh]

So I guess my 'new to me' vintage Stetson 25 from Wyoming in pristine condition does not qualify cuz, though it's an obvious OR it does not SAY so inside. Oh well, I love the hat anyway and always have loved them. I guess I'll just lurk when/if I feel like it ;)

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

lol lol You can't be serious? Please tell me that this is riddled with humor that I'm not catching on to because it almost seems like someone throwing a 'fit'.

There was a time when nearly all Stetsons came as an open crown.

The OR coming prebashed with the common OR bash as center dent & long side dents is a bit more modern a creation probably after WWII.

If you get an Akubra Campdraft it is very much like the 1930's dimensionally and comes with an open crown.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Dogface said:
As for the vanity statement, I've perceived this on this website but not actually on the OR Guild thread. If you all missed that then you're not paying attention ;) Guys posting pics of themselves in some new fedora followed by pages of fawning. [huh]

we all do it

Dogface said:
... If I had more than one I might well create a Stratoliner with it.
How do you do that? Seriously.

It is TOTALLY tongue in cheek about the "proof" of an Open Road! It is like the X's & what they stand for. Stetson had Open Road & The Open Road or nothing at all. How can you have rules when the company itself was all over the place?
Now the Secret Hat Society is a whole other matter.... if it really existed, that is.

As for the vanity perception, you think putting on something that was in style 60 years ago is vain? It is a support group for folks that like hats. If vanity were in play, we'd NOT post pictures of us wearing them.

Dude, don't take the Lounge, life or yourself so seriously!!!!

Dogface

New in Town
handlebar bart said:
lol lol You can't be serious? Please tell me that this is riddled with humor that I'm not catching on to because it almost seems like someone throwing a 'fit'.

Well, I woulda used more smileys but I didn't wanna flood the place with them. I'm not 'throwing a fit' as you suggest at all. I guess I missed the tongue in cheek stuff that Swoopy posted and for that I apologize. I'm usually more astute to those things. :)

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Dogface said:
Well, I woulda used more smileys but I didn't wanna flood the place with them. I'm not 'throwing a fit' as you suggest at all. I guess I missed the tongue in cheek stuff that Swoopy posted and for that I apologize. I'm usually more astute to those things. :)

On the plus side you have now amassed enough posts due to this 'misunderstanding' that in the future you can PM someone who cares instead of cluttering up what is normally a wonderful thread to flip through.

I need a thin ribbon fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR