Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OTHER Ways, Advertising and ephemera of the Golden Era from other than Stetson

Hat Corporation of America 1953. Love this series of ads.......
1680461753853.png
1680461786362.png

Re-posting this....this thread is for our Collections...things we own and want to share.

"Ok, while going through my Stetson stuff for "The Stetson Way" tread (found here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...rtising-and-ephemera-of-the-golden-era.92141/) a thread on Stetson ephemera from roughly 1920 to 1960, I realized I had enough from many other companies from the same era. So......here are examples of ads and interesting things from the "Other" Hat companies and organizations from again, roughly 1920 to 1960. Lets start with some matchbooks.....
AND of course, feel free to add (no pun intended:)) some goodies You have collected.....
Best,
M"

Thanks;)

Every once in a while you stumble upon something special. I cannot thank our fellow lounger Jonathan @TheOldFashioned enough without whom this would not have happened. He was alerted to an auction of a Borsalino item and it so happened the auction house was in the Netherlands. There was only one picture, but that and the description were enough to set things in motion. Here's the picture.
borsalino auction.jpg

Intrigueing, right? I contacted the auction house and they were very forthcoming and sent me some more pictures. Jonathan and I agreed that we needed to save this item for posterity and with his contribution I made an offer, because I could not attend the auction in person (work) and the online bidding didn't give me much confidence due to the difficulties registering. Anyway. Tuesday the hammer fell and the bid was high enough (just). Went to pick it up today.
So what is then, dang it?!
It is a march 1912 Borsalino catalog, they call it an illustrated book themselves, for the styles and colours they had on offer. So now for the good, the bad and the ugly.
The good. Well, that's obvious. It's a unique piece and it is larger in size than I expected it to be. It measures a few millimeter under 30x40cm (12x16" thereabouts). It's a miracle this thing is still around after 111 years and provides us with an insight how many styles were available at the time (all of them!).
The bad. It's not complete. There are a few pages missing from the catalog that appear to have been just torn out. Four pages seem to be missing. It's not completely in colour. Only the first few pages are in colour, it seems to give you an impression of the available colours and after that it was just about the models.
The ugly. It's not in great shape. No surprise there after all the time that went by, but this has been around the block a few times. It has some stains, foxing, tears, folds, waterdamage, you name it; it's got it.

The verdict. Despite of the condition it's in, it is well worth every penny I paid for it. There is likely no other one of these around. The auction house sure couldn't find any other examples of it and I'd imagine they have some decent resources. Guido Barberis doesn't mention it in his Borsalino books nor is there any example of an image of this catalog found elsewhere (except for the watercolour of the factory, made by Carlo Krättly in 1910). And Barberis had access to the Borsalino archives. So, it's an important piece and I'm happy as a clam.
Here are the pics (in three separate posts) I took with my phone. Have to take some real pictures or scans to document it properly for posterity. They state it is copyrighted, but I'll take my chances after 111 years.

catalog1912_01.jpg

catalog1912_02.jpg

catalog1912_03.jpg

catalog1912_04.jpg

catalog1912_05.jpg

catalog1912_06.jpg

catalog1912_07.jpg

Between these two pages the remnants of the missing pages can be seen (image below of the left hand side).

catalog1912_08.jpg

Every once in a while you stumble upon something special. I cannot thank our fellow lounger Jonathan @TheOldFashioned enough without whom this would not have happened. He was alerted to an auction of a Borsalino item and it so happened the auction house was in the Netherlands. There was only one picture, but that and the description were enough to set things in motion. Here's the picture.
borsalino auction.jpg

Intrigueing, right? I contacted the auction house and they were very forthcoming and sent me some more pictures. Jonathan and I agreed that we needed to save this item for posterity and with his contribution I made an offer, because I could not attend the auction in person (work) and the online bidding didn't give me much confidence due to the difficulties registering. Anyway. Tuesday the hammer fell and the bid was high enough (just). Went to pick it up today.
So what is then, dang it?!
It is a march 1912 Borsalino catalog, they call it an illustrated book themselves, for the styles and colours they had on offer. So now for the good, the bad and the ugly.
The good. Well, that's obvious. It's a unique piece and it is larger in size than I expected it to be. It measures a few millimeter under 30x40cm (12x16" thereabouts). It's a miracle this thing is still around after 111 years and provides us with an insight how many styles were available at the time (all of them!).
The bad. It's not complete. There are a few pages missing from the catalog that appear to have been just torn out. Four pages seem to be missing. It's not completely in colour. Only the first few pages are in colour, it seems to give you an impression of the available colours and after that it was just about the models.
The ugly. It's not in great shape. No surprise there after all the time that went by, but this has been around the block a few times. It has some stains, foxing, tears, folds, waterdamage, you name it; it's got it.

The verdict. Despite of the condition it's in, it is well worth every penny I paid for it. There is likely no other one of these around. The auction house sure couldn't find any other examples of it and I'd imagine they have some decent resources. Guido Barberis doesn't mention it in his Borsalino books nor is there any example of an image of this catalog found elsewhere (except for the watercolour of the factory, made by Carlo Krättly in 1910). And Barberis had access to the Borsalino archives. So, it's an important piece and I'm happy as a clam.
Here are the pics (in three separate posts) I took with my phone. Have to take some real pictures or scans to document it properly for posterity. They state it is copyrighted, but I'll take my chances after 111 years.

catalog1912_01.jpg

catalog1912_02.jpg

catalog1912_03.jpg

catalog1912_04.jpg

catalog1912_05.jpg

catalog1912_06.jpg

catalog1912_07.jpg

Between these two pages the remnants of the missing pages can be seen (image below of the left hand side).

catalog1912_08.jpg
Nice Save!!!!! THAT is what it is all about!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto