Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OTHER Ways, Advertising and ephemera of the Golden Era from other than Stetson

April, 1942....Knox "Windjammer"!!!
AND Hart Schaffner & Marx on the back....
IMG_20191209_161421.jpg
IMG_20191209_161436.jpg

Time to re-post the reason for this thread.....

Ok, while going through my Stetson stuff for "The Stetson Way" tread (found here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...rtising-and-ephemera-of-the-golden-era.92141/) a thread on Stetson ephemera from roughly 1920 to 1960, I realized I had enough from many other companies from the same era. So......here are examples of ads and interesting things from the "Other" Hat companies and organizations from again, roughly 1920 to 1960. Lets start with some matchbooks.....
AND of course, feel free to add (no pun intended:)) some goodies You have collected.....
Best,
M

So this thread is for items we have collected and actually OWN.....
Thanks everyone!!!!

Last edited:
Time to re-post the reason for this thread.....

Ok, while going through my Stetson stuff for "The Stetson Way" tread (found here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...rtising-and-ephemera-of-the-golden-era.92141/) a thread on Stetson ephemera from roughly 1920 to 1960, I realized I had enough from many other companies from the same era. So......here are examples of ads and interesting things from the "Other" Hat companies and organizations from again, roughly 1920 to 1960. Lets start with some matchbooks.....
AND of course, feel free to add (no pun intended:)) some goodies You have collected.....
Best,
M

So this thread is for items we have collected and actually OWN.....
Thanks everyone!!!!

I’m really glad to see you back, Mark. You add things no one else does and I really appreciate it.

Just curious: why do you only want photos of items the person posting personally owns? Does it make a difference? Genuinely curious.

Just curious: why do you only want photos of items the person posting personally owns? Does it make a difference? Genuinely curious.

Well, YES it does...makes a big difference many times....

1. It is quite easy for people to troll the internet and copy tens and hundreds of pictures of things with little or no context, AND without being sure what little information provided is even correct or verifiable. (I have seen MANY an ad posted with the incorrect date...I KNOW this when I actually own the same ad and can read the date on mine and know the magazine it came from.)

a. When you own a thing you can be asked questions about it (consider when I was recently asked to provide a better scan/photo of an item I posted, If i did not own it I could not do that). You can be asked to "peek behind the sweat" or otherwise find more about something. You can check the back of the ad, or look at the other ads on the page that can assist verifying date......you cannot do this with internet pictures. As we all know even EBAY descriptions can be, well, just not correct!!!:eek::rolleyes:;)

2. It is rude and often quite suspect posting "other peoples stuff" (they really need at least accreditation). And often unless you know the person and can examine their items, well......see "a." above and "b." below. It is better to hear from them directly.

b. When you own a thing you can further offer provenance as to it's acquisition, as in "it came from a group of items "sold in Iowa" from a store closure. Said store had been in business since 1930 and closed in 1990."
Often with internet pictures or "collections" little is known about origin.

3. A picture is as good and accurate as the person who takes the photo, and types in the additional info....mistakes can and will be made. It is nice to be able to follow up.

c. If you can talk to that person, you can see if the ad in question IS black and white, or was simply photographed in B&W for clarity. Is it in color and is the color accurate? What was the printing possess?
Did it come from a newspaper or magazine (or comic book)??? What edition and date was the magazine?

AND

4. Posting ones own items encourages honesty and can supply us with additional information we may not otherwise be able to obtain, and it also encourages others to do the same, which in the end helps all of us.
It creates a sense of pride and ownership (no pun intended) in the community....fostering good will and encouraging others in a way simply "trolling the internet" for unverified content does not. All in all it assists us with clearer information with which to add to our knowledge. (and perhaps help put to a rest those persons posting a 1960's hat and saying "they found an ad of this company from 1897, so this hat is from 1897" as is so often seen on dare I say it.....Ebay).

So while the internet CAN be a good resource, it needs to be checked and checked again for verification, and often THAT is just not possible.:( Like the 1950's Open Road for sale on EBay, listed as a 1890's Army Campaign hat.......approach with caution!o_O:eek::rolleyes:;)

So....YES......it DOES indeed make a difference.;):):):):):)

(And I just wanted these threads to have better information if at all possible....:))

Last but not least, by posting all this cra...ah er.....STUFF.....perhaps we can inspire others to start their own collections and help preserve our history!:D (and then of course SHARE with us).:p

Last edited:
Well, YES it does...makes a big difference many times....

1. It is quite easy for people to troll the internet and copy tens and hundreds of pictures of things with little or no context, AND without being sure what little information provided is even correct or verifiable. (I have seen MANY an ad posted with the incorrect date...I KNOW this when I actually own the same ad and can read the date on mine and know the magazine it came from.)

a. When you own a thing you can be asked questions about it (consider when I was recently asked to provide a better scan/photo of an item I posted, If i did not own it I could not do that). You can be asked to "peek behind the sweat" or otherwise find more about something. You can check the back of the ad, or look at the other ads on the page that can assist verifying date......you cannot do this with internet pictures. As we all know even EBAY descriptions can be, well, just not correct!!!:eek::rolleyes:;)

2. It is rude and often quite suspect posting "other peoples stuff" (they really need at least accreditation). And often unless you know the person and can examine their items, well......see "a." above and "b." below. It is better to hear from them directly.

b. When you own a thing you can further offer provenance as to it's acquisition, as in "it came from a group of items "sold in Iowa" from a store closure. Said store had been in business since 1930 and closed in 1990."
Often with internet pictures or "collections" little is known about origin.

3. A picture is as good and accurate as the person who takes the photo, and types in the additional info....mistakes can and will be made. It is nice to be able to follow up.

c. If you can talk to that person, you can see if the ad in question IS black and white, or was simply photographed in B&W for clarity. Is it in color and is the color accurate? What was the printing possess?
Did it come from a newspaper or magazine (or comic book)??? What edition and date was the magazine?

AND

4. Posting ones own items encourages honesty and can supply us with additional information we may not otherwise be able to obtain, and it also encourages others to do the same, which in the end helps all of us.
It creates a sense of pride and ownership (no pun intended) in the community....fostering good will and encouraging others in a way simply "trolling the internet" for unverified content does not. All in all it assists us with clearer information with which to add to our knowledge. (and perhaps help put to a rest those persons posting a 1960's hat and saying "they found an ad of this company from 1897, so this hat is from 1897" as is so often seen on dare I say it.....Ebay).

So while the internet CAN be a good resource, it needs to be checked and checked again for verification, and often THAT is just not possible.:( Like the 1950's Open Road for sale on EBay, listed as a 1890's Army Campaign hat.......approach with caution!o_O:eek::rolleyes:;)

So....YES......it DOES indeed make a difference.;):):):):):)

(And I just wanted these threads to have better information if at all possible....:))

Last but not least, by posting all this cra...ah er.....STUFF.....perhaps we can inspire others to start their own collections and help preserve our history!:D (and then of course SHARE with us).:p

Thank you for taking the time to explain your thinking on this, Mark. I agree and disagree with parts. I still think there is information to be gleaned for other’s photos...definitely better if the poster has it in hand, but something is better than nothing I’d think.

As you are the OP and by far the largest contributor of this thread I have no problem deferring to your preferences. I see things differently, but I have great respect for you and your contributions. I don’t think I’ll have anything to contribute to the thread, but I enjoy it and am often fascinated by it. Thanks again!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
NOT a hat ad per se..BUT it has some good hats (and clothes) in it!! AND it features a CANNON!!!!!!:eek::)
View attachment 337167
You are right, it does feature some good hats, and I just love the cannon.
wamgb.jpg

The MG 18/80 was the first model in which the factory had designed the chassis itself, and was the first car to have the typical MG grille with vertical standing slats and vertical centre bar and higher set headlights. It was initially known as the 'MG Six'.

It's a great poster, I love the clothes and hats just as much as the car!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk