Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Pacific" - can it possibly live up to expectations?

Talbot

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
I think it will definitely live up to expectations and more than likely, surpass them.

Since the series focuses on 3 Marines, I'm certain it won't tell the *full* story of the Pacific - Army, Nurses, other nations, etc. It isn't intended to. This is not a documentary. Just as BOB didn't tell the full story of war in the ETO, this series is not, and never was, intended to be a complete all-encompassing story of the war in the Pacific and every unit and person involved. It is only the story of 3 Marines serving in the Pacific.

QUOTE]

Fair comment. I hope I get to see it!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
It promises to be good. My only concern is that because the film highlights (rightfully) the exploits of the Marine Corps. in the PTO, it will neglect to even mention the U.S. Army's large role in that area.
CCF07102009_00003.jpg

17th Inf. Reg., 7th Inf. Div., USA.

It is a shame, but thats the problem with putting together anything on the PTO, the scope is so huge. Thank goodness this is a mini-series and not just some 2 hour movie like PearlHarbor.

I have an elderly friend who was in training for some sort of jedburgh mission in the ETO. Because of compromised security, it was aborted and all these expert cold weather mountaineering soldiers were sent to the PTO. He told us some gruesome stories about New Guinea. And some funny ones too. Hopefully this new mini-series will give us all something to think about. Especially the younger generation. They can always use a good historical recounting.

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
I would love to see, after The Pacific series, a series focusing on the theatre in North Africa and Italy. That would make for quite a trilogy!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Zanzibarstar said:
I would love to see, after The Pacific series, a series focusing on the theatre in North Africa and Italy. That would make for quite a trilogy!

That would be good. The Italian Campaign is somewhat represented, with films like Anzio, A Bell for Adano, The Devil's Brigade, Miracle at St. Anna, and even parts of Tea With Mussolini. Of the North African Campaign, there is (among many) Sahara (1943), The Desert Rats, Story of G.I. Joe (both campaigns), The Big Red One (both campaigns), Tobruk, The Steel Bayonet, Attentato ai tre grandi, and a fairly recent Italian film whose name escapes me. What is fairly under-represented is China-India-Burma, East Africa (although U.S. forces were not a part of that campaign) and the Middle East.

YETI

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:
That would be good. The Italian Campaign is somewhat represented, with films like Anzio, A Bell for Adano, The Devil's Brigade, Miracle at St. Anna, and even parts of Tea With Mussolini. Of the North African Campaign, there is (among many) Sahara (1943), The Desert Rats, Story of G.I. Joe (both campaigns), The Big Red One (both campaigns), Tobruk, The Steel Bayonet, Attentato ai tre grandi, and a fairly recent Italian film whose name escapes me. What is fairly under-represented is China-India-Burma, East Africa (although U.S. forces were not a part of that campaign) and the Middle East.
Well there was Objective Burma which was an account of Merrill's Marauders and their exploits during WWII. Didn't those guys complete a 1000 mile foot march to achieve their objective? I think they suffered over 90% casualty rate(mostly from malaria) doing it too.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
YETI said:
Well there was Objective Burma which was an account of Merrill's Marauders and their exploits during WWII. Didn't those guys complete a 1000 mile foot march to achieve their objective? I think they suffered over 90% casualty rate(mostly from malaria) doing it too.

I liked Objective,Burma! but wasnt it about platoon of paratroopers with a war correspondent on a mission that goes bad?

I thought Merrill's Marauders were a few thousand troops junglefighting deep in Burma?

jawisher

Familiar Face
'Band of Brothers' was so good, that I am not expecting 'The Pacific' to be near as good. So probably, my lowered expectations will be surpassed, and I'll end up liking it a lot.

In any case, I've been looking forward to seeing it for over a year or more since I first heard of it.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
THANKS & The Pacific

Widebrim said:
It promises to be good. My only concern is that because the film highlights (rightfully) the exploits of the Marine Corps. in the PTO, it will neglect to even mention the U.S. Army's large role in that area.
CCF07102009_00003.jpg

17th Inf. Reg., 7th Inf. Div., USA.

First, THANKS Widebrim for mentioning the U.S. Army in the PTO. My late Uncle was in the fight @ Okinawa!

Second, The Pacific is getting GREAT early reviews as being even better than BOB, but much grimmer! Its battle focus covers Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu & Okinawa only!

Solid Citizen :D

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Well, after the first episode, I'm hooked. I've been looking to this mini-series for at least two years.

I love Band Of Brothers, but I think this will stand on it's own as an outstanding mini-series. I'm hoping so, at least. I know that I love what I've seen so far.

My wife happens to work for HBO here in NYC and, as you can imagine, it's a huge deal over there. A few weeks ago she asked me if I wanted screeners. I told her that I'd prefer to watch it each week as it airs.

- Ian

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Solid Citizen said:
First, THANKS Widebrim for mentioning the U.S. Army in the PTO. My late Uncle was in the fight @ Okinawa!

Second, The Pacific is getting GREAT early reviews as being even better than BOB, but much grimmer! Its battle focus covers Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu & Okinawa only!

Solid Citizen :D

You're welcome, SD; my father was also at Okinawa with the Army. The Marine Corps was essential in that theater, but every branch played a part. (By the way, John Basilone was a former Soldier who enlisted in the Marines because he thought that branch would get him back to his beloved Manila quicker than the Army could. Boy, were his plans changed after Dec. 7!). I'm glad to hear that the first installment is so good. I wish that I had cable:(...but I'll eventually see it on DVD.:)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Strictly being critical, the first episode was a bit of a disappointment for me. It was laden with cliche' and offered nothing original, including special effects. Also, it skipped a lot of the character development we were treated to through bootcamp in "BOB" and substituted this for those drive-by vignettes like the "meeting the girl next door" scene that signals that the fellow is a nice guy. However, the coming attractions look amazing, so I am optimistic that it will improve.

I still liked it though and wouldn't miss a minute.

YETI

A-List Customer
I enjoyed the 1st episode, but the character development was slower than compared to B of B. It should get better though. That Marine Capt. shoulda been shot for turning yellow and abandoning his company. I hope they do a series about the Bataan death march next. My grandpa survived that hell. He was a cavalry scout with the Filipino Army which was still under U.S. command. He retired as a 1st sergeant in the U.S. Army. He was lucky enough to be granted American citizenship after WWII.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A bit disappointing

I watched the first episode of "The Pacific". It was disappointing.
The first episode of Band of Brothers was far superior.

Maybe the character and plot developments will improve.

The action scenes were "ok"..but not spectacular.

There was a noticeable "Lack" of character development. If you recall, BOB was very clear in having the main characters introduced..and the whole series developed about them.

That said...lets see what the following episodes bring. I am a huge fan of WWII films...and this is a great project.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I liked it. And sure, it's not perfect...but I don't mind. I'm just happy to have something this cool to watch for the next 9 weeks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112