Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pacific

Gene

Practically Family
I should have to watch a series several times through to absorb the characters? I think not.

I'll say for all its historical inaccuracies and liberties taken with BoB, I still enjoyed the series overall. I also enjoyed The Pacific because it was pretty faithful to "Helmet For My Pillow," "With the Old Breed," and "You'll Be Sor-ree!" Sure there were liberties taken with it too, but you can't really compare them with each other because it's a totally separate theater and let's face it after 65+ years the ETO still gets glorified while the PTO goes relatively forgotten and is still pretty controversial to this day. For the sake of argument it was a lot bloodier, dirtier, more confusing, and radically different than what happened in Europe, and I think the series is a good reflection of that.

As for the somber letter-reading and staring into the distance, BoB accomplishes that in nearly every episode with a grandiose, bloated orchestra same as The Pacific. I just wish more modern war films could be like Battleground.

YETI

A-List Customer
It would have been interesting to see the 164th infantry included in the battle scenes at Guadalcanal. The 164th were the first Army(Guard) unit to see combat in the Pacific during WWII. From what I've read they fought side by side with the battle weary Marines which is interesting. The irony is that Basilone joined the Marines in hopes of getting to the Philippines,sooner, where he was stationed while in the Army. The 164th actually fought their way to the Philippine islands whereas Basilone was KIA on Iwo.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
So sorry - the Pacific never grabbed me like Band of Brothers did. Just could not get into it. A lot of soldiers - looking the same - shooting at each other...in the dark!
Not my kind of story.

cco23i

A-List Customer
It would have been interesting to see the 164th infantry included in the battle scenes at Guadalcanal. The 164th were the first Army(Guard) unit to see combat in the Pacific during WWII. From what I've read they fought side by side with the battle weary Marines which is interesting. The irony is that Basilone joined the Marines in hopes of getting to the Philippines,sooner, where he was stationed while in the Army. The 164th actually fought their way to the Philippine islands whereas Basilone was KIA on Iwo.

I agree AND I wish they would do one on the 67th Pursuit squadron who was also on the Canal.

Scott

Monsoon

A-List Customer
I think we can go round and round about units that were not shown in "The Pacific" and should have been.

The main complaint I have is that they left out Tarawa. How can any mini-series about the war in the Pacific leave out a battle like that?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The main complaint I have is that they left out Tarawa. How can any mini-series about the war in the Pacific leave out a battle like that?

Hi

That's because the guys that wrote the book(s) that the Pacific was based on didn't go there.

I actually liked the Pacific.

Later

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you. I'm quite aware of that fact; I read the books that "The Pacific" was based on many years prior to the mini-series being shown.
O.K., so you're REALLY not happy that they paid more attention to the books that to the war itself. Good point, but obviously not one that they cared about. On the other hand, BoB was all about the 101st Airborne and no one (that I've heard of) seemed upset about that. I guess it was "Lucky" that the 101st was in the main battles of the ETO, the invasion, Market-Garden, and the Bulge.

Later

Last edited:

Monsoon

A-List Customer
O.K., so you're REALLY not happy that they paid more attention to the books that to the war itself.

Using the books as a basis of the miniseries but having it cover more of the island hopping that occurred would have been a good deal. As I said, Tarawa was only one of the more bloody battles that the Marines engaged in; it might have been interesting to see something about it.

Good point, but obviously not one that the cared about.

And I'm not losing any sleep over their decision, either.

On the other hand, BoB was all about the 101st Airborne and no one (that I've heard of) seemed upset about that. I guess it was "Lucky" that the 101st was in the main battles of the ETO, the invasion, Market-Garden, and the Bulge.

Actually, BoB was about a single company in the 101st. There are a lot of people I hear bitch and moan over it not covering something or other that the 101st was involved in, but like "The Pacific", it was just covering the book.

Thank you for mentioning the 164th Infantry Regiment. There is a lot of information I'd like to post, but the system won't upload an avatar or photos and keeps booting me out. If this posting works, it may be the last time I visit due to the hassle.
However: 65 Years after war's end, the 164th Infantry still holds annual reunions, prints a newsmagazine, and published a book "They Were Ready: The 164th Infantry in the Pacific War 1942-1945". If anyone out there knows a 164th veteran or family, please have them contact Editor164thInfantryNews@hotmail.com.

Burton

One of the Regulars
I have been watching the series out here on Wake Island which is quite an interesting experience. We should never forget the great sacrifices made by our troops and at Wake Island contractors as well. We are still finding their bones.

Burton

One of the Regulars
Phantomfixer, there is a protocol for what to do with human remains out here on Wake and they are sent to a lab somewhere that identifies them to some degree. I dont know if they then try to do any kind of DNA testing to determine actual identity. WWII has been such a long time ago not sure how they would do that unless direct family members somehow participated by supplying samples.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Related to Iwo Jima -

Dr. Stratford received an order so bizarre that he had difficulty in believing it could be true. For the first time in American military history, medical officers were ordered to designate wounded men who could return to the fight.

Scuttlebutt reached the wounded over the Navy's grapevine, and when the unhappy doctor stepped reluctantly into the wardroom he was spared the agony of having to make a choice. Every Marine who could struggle off his bed was lined up, in uniform, waiting for Dr. Stratford, volunteering to go back. One lieutenant colonel with five bullet wounds in his back pleaded for permission to return with his men.
Out of 500 patients on the Lubbock, 50 were patched up sufficiently to fight again, plus 32 who weren't up to doing battle but could handle supplies.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...er-for-a-WWII-Navy-doctor-in-the-Pacific.html

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I had friend in Merrrill's Marauders and they did the same thing. Except they had bullit holes and fevers of 103ish from who knows how many diseases. It took Bob three months to learn to walk all over again.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran