Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pinup Thread

Brooksie

One Too Many
*martini*time* said:
Brooksie, I totally googled that! I have many great ideas! My sister loves the idea too! I can't wait to do more. I have a new dress coming that will be perfect! I'll post more as soon as they happen!

Thanks for the encouraging words ladies!

I am soooo excited! I can not wait to see more photos and your new dress. I love it when I am able to help somebody.:D

Brooksie

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
B-12298.jpg

I love this one! It's like someone is just catching you. It's beautiful!

ps. Great dress too!

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Just sharing a few pics from the recent year...there are a bunch in the Cheesecake Contest for Bachelor Pad Magazine, but those photos aren't 'public'...there's a nudey New Year's photo thats very 20s, but I didn't want to put it public on flickr! ;)

2977103178_437c51f824.jpg

Based on a Clara Bow portrait... c. Don Spiro

2973609338_c0455ee58e.jpg

another from Halloween series c. Don Spiro

3542805380_44fcf0ca5b.jpg

Polaroid Portrait at Dances of Vice, c. Don Spiro

3113243923_d828965632.jpg

The non-nudey Christmas portrait...c. Jen Zak

Brooksie

One Too Many
I thought you might all be interested in some pin up history in amongst our pics...

I was looking on a website earlier that said the term "pin up girl" was first attested to in English in 1941 however the practice is documented as far back as the 1890's. I know we have a thread floating around about the history of pin up but I thought you gals might like some of this info over here.

I also found another website that is devoted to the history of pin up - up to this present day, I found this site to be very enjoyable to navigate through plus it was informative: http://www.pinupportal.com/fes_php/pp_history.php
I like it also because it is set up like a book where you turn the pages with your mouse.

Brooksie

mentha

Familiar Face
*martini*time* said:
B-12298.jpg

I love this one! It's like someone is just catching you. It's beautiful!

ps. Great dress too!

Thanks everybody!
@ *martini*time*: Thanks, I got it from a former colleague who didn't fit in it anymore after having had 2 kids ;) She told me it was vintage, though I don't really believe it it. It's quite a heavy velvet, but having had a look at the seams and finishing, I thinks it's been handmade by someone [don't know when though]. The underlying petti [really small] had a strange flaw, where parts of it had been accidentally taken up in the seams, creating very strange folds and the zip, well... that wasn't even really sewn in, but basted. So I took out the zip, handsewed it back in place, tightly and fixed the petti :)

You guys wouldn't believe how hot it was in that dress, with step-in-girdle, stockings etc in the blazing sun [over 25 degrees C...]

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Brooksie said:
Clubwitsend you are gorgeous! It's nice to see another roaring 20's kind of gal.

Brooksies

aww thanks, brooksies! i'm guessing you're a lulu fan as well? :)

i loved your pics earlier in the thread as well! gorgeous!!

the 20s/30s pinup look is fantastic, isnt it? i wish more people would do it!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
clubwitsend I love your pics! I wish more people would do the 20s/30s thing too as it looks so wonderful on the right girls, but despite Brooksie's claims that I could, I think a 20s dress would make me look like a sack of spuds due to my wide hips, plus I could never do the hair!

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
clubwitsend I love your pics! I wish more people would do the 20s/30s thing too as it looks so wonderful on the right girls, but despite Brooksie's claims that I could, I think a 20s dress would make me look like a sack of spuds due to my wide hips, plus I could never do the hair!

thanks!!!

you know- i have big hips, too...and ive always thought that 20s wasnt for me...BUT...sometimes if the dress itself is just SO gorgeous or has beading or whatever- it kind of doesnt matter that you're a little bit shapeless. i usually wear 40s pieces because i have a chest, too...but i think if you have a great face for the 20s/30s, you can totally do it! i think its much more about style than just body type...but ive totally thought the same thing.

the other nice thing- i never felt like i was right for 40s/50s cheesecake because i have severe features/a dramatic face...i never looked friendly enough!! but for 20s/30s- it works!

Brooksie

One Too Many
clubwitsend said:
aww thanks, brooksies! i'm guessing you're a lulu fan as well? :)

i loved your pics earlier in the thread as well! gorgeous!!

the 20s/30s pinup look is fantastic, isnt it? i wish more people would do it!

Yes I am for sure a lulu fan, I love the 20s & 30s (the art deco period is my fave) but I do other time periods too so I am kind of all over the place. I just love it all.

Brooksie

Brooksie

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:

Now as far as hair goes thats easy - have you noticed my hair is actually long (about an inch and a half above the bra strap) when I want a 1920's look I will pull it back in a low chingnon or I will dry it and then use my triple barrell curler (for the marcell type wave) then I just do a few pin curls in my bangs. I used to have a Louise Brooks bob but I grew it out because of the versitility so I am able to cover a wide range of eras that way.

Brooksie

Brooksie

One Too Many
clubwitsend said:
thanks!!!

you know- i have big hips, too...and ive always thought that 20s wasnt for me...BUT...sometimes if the dress itself is just SO gorgeous or has beading or whatever- it kind of doesnt matter that you're a little bit shapeless. i usually wear 40s pieces because i have a chest, too...but i think if you have a great face for the 20s/30s, you can totally do it! i think its much more about style than just body type...but ive totally thought the same thing.

the other nice thing- i never felt like i was right for 40s/50s cheesecake because i have severe features/a dramatic face...i never looked friendly enough!! but for 20s/30s- it works!

I do the 40s/50's stuff too and have you seen how severe my features are?! Take a look of that nose I have. I guess I can get away with it because of the big dimples (craters) I have in my cheeks. I usually don't smile much in my 20's shots unless I am pretending to do the Charleston and that demands a smile:D

Brooksie

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Brooksie said:
I do the 40s/50's stuff too and have you seen how severe my features are?! Take a look of that nose I have. I guess I can get away with it because of the big dimples (craters) I have in my cheeks. I usually don't smile much in my 20's shots unless I am pretending to do the Charleston and that demands a smile:D

Brooksie

You have those cute dimples, though!!! It TOTALLY helps! This is my profile- so you can see- I have a NOSE! (and a shiny one here! ha)

3323007552_f5df4237a5.jpg

Can you send me a PM?? I wanted to send you one, but I think the option is taken off of your profile, and I wanted to share an idea with you about the 20s pinup thing!

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Photos from a Pin-Up workshop yesterday. Sorry for the huge size! I keep resizing and they won't change.

IMG_2272copy.jpg

IMG_2298copy.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2287copy.jpg

It was such a fun time... can't wait for another opportunity!

Brooksie

One Too Many
Odalisque said:
Photos from a Pin-Up workshop yesterday. Sorry for the huge size! I keep resizing and they won't change.

IMG_2272copy.jpg

IMG_2298copy.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2287copy.jpg

It was such a fun time... can't wait for another opportunity!

Girl - you have the curves I wish I had! You pull the 40's off beautifully.:eusa_clap

Brooksie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn