Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pocket Phone- Cell Phones

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
So I've had trouble with my pocket phones. I went through 5 razors from Motorola... I sweat when i dance and I talk when at clubs so when the keys hit my face it shorts the keys. I liked the razor for the simple fact that I could drop it in my shirt pocket or jacket pocket and the phone created little bulk.

before the razor I had a bulkier model which honestly caused me to carry my briefcase around more often because I didn't want to alter the line of my suit. Being a hard fit for suits in general and having been really overweight not too long ago I still carry that self awareness of bulky objects adding to my silhouette.

What do you cary and how is it carried? I'm a guy and I can't cary the purse with as much grace as you ladies. I can't clip the phone to my side, that just looks really bad and as stated before wrecks the line.

Other than in the hand, if you see me at restaurant with my briefcase, that is where my pocket phone will be.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've got a treo90, but it's a PDA, not a phone. The current treos have increased in size and thickness since the 90, but they might be worth a look.

I still hate cell phones and refuse to carry one...that's your cheapest solution, at least.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
So I've had trouble with my pocket phones. I went through 5 razors from Motorola... I sweat when i dance and I talk when at clubs so when the keys hit my face it shorts the keys. I liked the razor for the simple fact that I could drop it in my shirt pocket or jacket pocket and the phone created little bulk.

before the razor I had a bulkier model which honestly caused me to carry my briefcase around more often because I didn't want to alter the line of my suit. Being a hard fit for suits in general and having been really overweight not too long ago I still carry that self awareness of bulky objects adding to my silhouette.

What do you cary and how is it carried? I'm a guy and I can't cary the purse with as much grace as you ladies. I can't clip the phone to my side, that just looks really bad and as stated before wrecks the line.

Other thatn in the hand, if you see me at restaurant with my briefcase, that is where my pocket phone will be.

Oh when it comes to technology and gadgets I think I’m about informed as they come. I do work for cNET after all ;) That said I want to say a word about Motorola phones. Crap. There I said it. Motorola has taken the approach of form before function. And its working wonders for the bottom line. They are selling millions of these pieces of crap.

That said I have had GREAT luck with Samsung and LG phones. If you want a true RAZR killer then look at the Samsung a900. A great phones that’s not only slim, but also durable and feature rich. Plus it even works all the time. I’m using the LG 9800 at the moment it’s a hybrid folder that works like a phone and a PDA

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
You might consider a holster and/or ask your tailor to take your mobile into account so it doesn't show.

Disclaimer: Don't do this if concealed cell' 'phones are illegal in your state.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
2 Phones

My job makes it necessary to be reached whenever possible, so I carry a large and rather primitive LG flip phone provided by the bank that I clip onto my leather bag I carry to and around work. Sometime, I clip it to my belt, though I think it is Charlie to do so.

Also, my best friend has a very serious medical condition, so I need to be on hand for her, so I carry my personal cell phone at all times. This is a standard Nokia that is always in my pocket or on a table next to me.

I rather wish I had the luxory of being Incommunicado. I don't.

This is one of the reason that I am always wearing some sort of a jacket, usually a blazer; all of those pockets are being utilized for something.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Matt D, have you considered a hands free devices to stick in your ear?
They are unsightly but an option for dancing and talking.

I'm sorry, but those have to be the ugliest things I've ever seen. You may be looking good dressed to the hilt in vintage, but if you have one of those attached to your ear you're back to square one. Just wait a few years and there will be devices that you can have installed in your mouth...you'll have to have one of your molars removed, though.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Vermifuge said:
That said I want to say a word about Motorola phones. Crap. There I said it. Motorola has taken the approach of form before function. And its working wonders for the bottom line. They are selling millions of these pieces of crap.

Here, here! I'm stuck with a RAZR for the next year and a half, and I hate the thing. Looks pretty, and the size is great, but functionality is awful. The thing is so slow I can take a nap in between the time I press a button and when something actually happens on the screen. Reminds me of those old UNIX computer systems where you could get several menus' worth of keystrokes ahead of what was actually happening onscreen, then sit back and wait for the machine to catch up. Except the RAZR isn't that reliable.

Matt, maybe this is too obvious, but have you thought about simply carrying a handkerchief and wiping your face off before you use the phone?

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
Quigley Brown said:
I'm sorry, but those have to be the ugliest things I've ever seen. You may be looking good dressed to the hilt in vintage, but if you have one of those attached to your ear you're back to square one. Just wait a few years and there will be devices that you can have installed in your mouth...you'll have to have one of your molars removed, though.
I wholeheartedly agree with QB. Hideous! I hate cell phones, too, but as a parent I like to be accessible in case of an emergency. I know you said you didn't want to do the belt clip, but maybe if you had a nice leather case on your belt, you could pull it off. Seems to me that if the phone is a necessity, something else will have to give, aesthetics or dancing. Maybe you should spray antiperspirant all over your head and face before you set out for an evening of dancing.:D

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
I would like a wrist phone, though I don't think people want to be talking to their wrists.

I like the speaker function... works with a suit a very Star Trek.

hmmm.

they wouldn't?

dick-tracy.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
You know what would be slick?
Fit one of the newer slim-line phones (a social necessity) into an old cigarette case (now a social redundancy).

As precedence, on another thread 'roundabouts somewhere here there's a Crackberry fitted into a very nice wooden case.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Believe it or not, I'd spring for a wrist phone if it was done right. Dick Tracy, eat your heart out.

And Story, GET OUT OF MY HEAD! I was looking at my cigarette case last night and thinking if I had a phone that looked like that, was that thin, contoured to fit in the pocket the same way, I might just be persuaded into one...

...but I still wouldn't pay $40+ a month for a leash.

D

drafttek

I just got a new phone. My two years were up so I had a $100 credit towards a new one. The Razors seemed flimsy. The new "Chocolate" that's out just screamed JUNK. It was light and felt toy-like with touch-pad keys not real buttons. I went with another Samsung. They feel like they're indestructible, which my old one was. The battery actually lasted the entire duration of the contract, not so with the wife's LG.

As for carrying the phone you could always put it under your hat :D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
All Hail Samsung

I am convinced that Samsung currently make the best phones.

I am on my second Samsung. The first one still works, I just took advantage of an upgrade.

My first Samsung, went through an entire normal cycle in a washing machine. Dried it out, plugged it in, it charged...and lasted a whole year after that, with no more issues at all. If I charged it, I am sure it would be functioning and have kept it just in case.

Mike K.

One Too Many
I keep mine tucked underneath my hat...it's a great attention-getter when it rings! lol

Only kidding of course! Most of the time I use a belt case. Because I work as a field biologist, I need a secure case for my phone that won't get yanked off in heavy brush. On dressier occasions, I simply slip the phone into a pocket.

I hear that Japan has already come out with phones that are about the size of a credit card. They'll probably be on the market here soon enough. I just wonder how you dial with buttons that are so small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo