Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Powder & The Glory

Inky

One Too Many
I just caught the tail end of this program on our local PBS station and though you all might enjoy reading about it and seeing if it will be on your local PBS.

It's a fascinating look at the the creation of the cosmetics industry from the history of Elizabeth Arden and Helena Rubinstein. They showed photos of one model made up in make up looks from 1910's to 1960's. A very interesting history of cosmetic marketing and competition.

http://www.powderandglory.com/home.php

http://www.pbs.org/thepowderandtheglory/

Lillemor

One Too Many
I never gave the brand HR much credit and wasn't interested in the cosmetics products until I began to read about the history. For many years I their campaign ads weren't reaching me and when they finally did, it was in such a contemporary style that it put me off them. I'm sure it helped to appeal to a wider and generally younger demographic though. I'm so frustrated with all the things on PBS I want to watch.

Inky

One Too Many
That is the book the documentary is based on! I think I shall see if my local library has it. Thank you for the recommendation!

I forgot to say the gallery on the powder and the glory website has some great pictures.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Ooohh, they premiered this at a little theater near the fashion district when they had the Makeup Show out here in March. My PBS station hasn't decided to carry it, which irks me!

Blondie

Practically Family
If only the Max Factor museum in Hollywood was still open.....

P.S Does anyone know what they did with all the stuff from there ???

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Blondie said:
If only the Max Factor museum in Hollywood was still open.....

P.S Does anyone know what they did with all the stuff from there ???

It's still there, it's just called the Hollywood History Museum :)

Here's an excerpt from the Max Factor Museum website:

* Update: The Max Factor building and its museum collection was sold by Proctor & Gamble in 1996 to a developer, and the Max Factor Museum was closed. Fortunately, the landmark building re-opened in 2002 as

The Hollywood History Museum

The lobby and various make-up rooms from the studio have been preserved at the new museum, as have many pieces from the original Max Factor exhibit, and three more floors of exhibit space has been added, featuring thousands of rare Hollywood costumes, props, sets and memorabilia. (Click here to read about the new Hollywood History Museum.)

Other pieces parts of the former Max Factor collection are currently on display at the Hollywood Entertainment Museum.

I will leave this old page about the former Max Factor Museum up for your enjoyment. But keep in mind that the original Max Factor museum described below is no longer open. The Max Factor rooms are now part of the larger Hollywood History Museum.

Blondie

Practically Family
RebeccaMUA said:
It's still there, it's just called the Hollywood History Museum :)

Here's an excerpt from the Max Factor Museum website:

* Update: The Max Factor building and its museum collection was sold by Proctor & Gamble in 1996 to a developer, and the Max Factor Museum was closed. Fortunately, the landmark building re-opened in 2002 as

The Hollywood History Museum

The lobby and various make-up rooms from the studio have been preserved at the new museum, as have many pieces from the original Max Factor exhibit, and three more floors of exhibit space has been added, featuring thousands of rare Hollywood costumes, props, sets and memorabilia. (Click here to read about the new Hollywood History Museum.)

Other pieces parts of the former Max Factor collection are currently on display at the Hollywood Entertainment Museum.

I will leave this old page about the former Max Factor Museum up for your enjoyment. But keep in mind that the original Max Factor museum described below is no longer open. The Max Factor rooms are now part of the larger Hollywood History Museum.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm very interesting, last time i was in Hollywood there was a
restaurant where the Max Factor Museaum was..............

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Was it a diner-ish place? Mel's something-or-other maybe? I know my friends and I ate a late dinner there once and I noticed it next door, or maybe a couple of spaces down.

Blondie

Practically Family
Yes it was a cheezy kind of diner , all i noticed was the museum was gone, and once i saw that restaurant was where it used to be I didn't think to look further !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot