Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real McCoy’s 30S Nelson Fit

ChienChilla

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone. I recently ordered the Nelson from Real McCoy’s and was wondering if the jacket looks too big on me. I am 5’7”, slim, and have a 35” chest. The jacket is a size 36.

Depending on the brand, I’m either a 34 or 36. The Nelson’s smallest size is a 36, so I went with that since 34 isn’t even an option. I’m just wondering if the jacket looks too large, especially in the shoulders and because the opening is noticeably wider than the body.

The first 3 images are of the jacket unzipped, and the last 3 zipped. Any feedback I’d appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2822ECB0-71CF-4DFC-9660-DA40C3383808.jpeg
    2822ECB0-71CF-4DFC-9660-DA40C3383808.jpeg
    427 KB · Views: 476
  • 4878E15A-03AD-46A7-9550-768CBFA256EF.jpeg
    4878E15A-03AD-46A7-9550-768CBFA256EF.jpeg
    436.6 KB · Views: 426
  • FD9D4C96-E2F7-4E7E-A7E0-1D2FEE251673.jpeg
    FD9D4C96-E2F7-4E7E-A7E0-1D2FEE251673.jpeg
    580.2 KB · Views: 451
  • 2384F5A4-E757-46EC-986F-21F33B846E80.jpeg
    2384F5A4-E757-46EC-986F-21F33B846E80.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 438
  • 08C6CEF6-1265-43E6-A051-856F48D97070.jpeg
    08C6CEF6-1265-43E6-A051-856F48D97070.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 433
  • DC126E27-65EB-4D08-AE57-F50A939FD518.jpeg
    DC126E27-65EB-4D08-AE57-F50A939FD518.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 427

Observe

One Too Many
I'd say this looks too big in the body. Excess material in the chest and back. Sleeve length looks good but otherwise not a great fit for you, especially for such a pricey jacket. Sorry about that.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Yep, too big. Once the leather settles down, it won't be as bad visually, but it'll still feel loose on your body. That alone would drive me nuts. It's an expensive jacket, you can do better. Too bad the sizing doesn't go down anymore though.

ChienChilla

One of the Regulars
Do you guys have any suggestions for a similar style jacket, preferably made of Shinki HH? I like this style, the Shinki, and really wanted to like the Nelson. I’ve considered the Freewheelers Mulholland too, but now I’m afraid that I’ll run into the same issue since the sizing is very similar to the Nelson. Plus who knows how long it’ll be before a Mulholland in size 36 will be available.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I don’t think it looks that bad. Yeah, on the bigger side for sure, but nothing I couldn’t live with. Why don’t you try with a sweater and let us see how it looks then?

If you decide to part with it, you may want to look at ADDICT. Not exactly the same style, but a nice trim cut and good quality hides.

Or have Greg from Field Leathers make you a custom job.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I’d be fine with it too, it’s on the large size but not too much. You could layer with it. Anyway, if you don’t like it now you never will. Better to get a refund while you still can.

I’d go with Field Leathers although the wait would be a drag.

ChienChilla

One of the Regulars
I don’t think it looks that bad. Yeah, on the bigger side for sure, but nothing I couldn’t live with. Why don’t you try with a sweater and let us see how it looks then?

If you decide to part with it, you may want to look at ADDICT. Not exactly the same style, but a nice trim cut and good quality hides.

Or have Greg from Field Leathers make you a custom job.
Yeah, it’s definitely a little looser, but I wouldn’t say I feel like like I’m drowning in it or anything. Part of me wants to just keep it for when/if I gain weight lol.

I can definitely put on a sweater or hoodie underneath to see how it would fit. Might be a good layering piece.

I suppose I can look into custom options like Field and Himel - but I already have an Aero Board Racer that’s a slim fit and was semi custom. I also just wanted something made of Shinki from Japan, so that’s why I went with the Nelson.

ChienChilla

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the maker suggestions everyone. I’ll look into them.

I can also try wearing it over a sweater when I get home and take pictures.

“Good for layering” is the lamentation cry of a jacket that is too large. A proper fit will allow for both layering and a t-shirt (at least to some degree). It’s kind of like how “T-shirt only fit” is the slogan of choice for a jacket that is too small. I have sung both songs but always came to the inevitable conclusion (reality) eventually.

For a jacket in this price tier, to compromise on fit is doing yourself a disservice, particularly when the jacket in question has very obtainable design elements from a myriad of makers. The Shinki desire will limit your choices though.

^
This.

You shouldn't have to compromise with a jacket that costs so much. These fine jackets but they don't work on everyone so it's okay to look elsewhere if a size down isn't an option but don't drop this kinda money on a jacket that doesn't make you feel & look like a million bucks 'cause otherwise, what's the point?

Leather jacket is only as good as it fits you. Nothing else matters. Shinki, stitching, hardware; All irrelevant. Don't mean nothing.

This is what, $2.5K? Why not go custom? Field Leathers or sth?

ChienChilla

One of the Regulars
@ton312 @Monitor yeah, you’re right. It does seem silly to pay that much money for anything other than a perfect fit. However, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to have one jacket that’s one size bigger than my custom Aero to account for weight changes. I mean how realistic is it to expect to be the same size forever, right? Having a chest size 35, I’m always in between the standard sizes, so I didn’t think a 36 would be that much bigger. And yes, I did look at RM’s size chart to compare it to my Aero - the measurements weren’t that different. Guess you know never know until you try it on though.

But back to your guy’s point - yeah if I’m going to shell out that much money, I want to love it, not just like it. The Nelson was barely below $2K.

ChienChilla

One of the Regulars
Seems big. You have a very thin build and the Nelson has sort of a Mulholland type fit where it is more barrel chested. I think it just isn't the right cut. While researching my Nelson other ones I was considering was a Caboose or a Rainbow Country Hercules repro.

This sz 36 caboose in dead leaf has been on buyee for a while https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/c1048703502
Thanks for the link. That Caboose does look nice, but I prefer black jackets.

The Mulholland was the other one I was looking at it, but I’m probably going to run into the same issue since they’re so similar in measurements. I also looked into Rainbow Country, but I can’t find anything smaller than a 38 from them. Guess I just can’t wear Japanese jackets lol.

Seems big. You have a very thin build and the Nelson has sort of a Mulholland type fit where it is more barrel chested. I think it just isn't the right cut. While researching my Nelson other ones I was considering was a Caboose or a Rainbow Country Hercules repro.

This sz 36 caboose in dead leaf has been on buyee for a while https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/c1048703502
I was going to suggest a Herc repro too. With some fairly minor tweaks Aero or The RC get you there. My OG Herc looks similar with a bit more detail on the back but the overall vibe is the same. And I love it to absolute death. So much so I will continue to spam the board without regret or shame.
400BADD1-E5D8-41A0-95ED-AB60A4B50407.jpeg
4C978246-22FF-477E-B062-65EB9F6F174D.jpeg

@ChienChilla, you know your fit with Aero, so you have a bullet in the chamber there. I k ow you want Shinki but I have to tell you the black brown vic compares very favorably IMO. And this is coming from a guy that would consider both leathers garbage as little as 3 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk