Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real McCoy’s 30S Nelson Fit

Observe

Practically Family
I was going to suggest a Herc repro too. With some fairly minor tweaks Aero or The RC get you there. My OG Herc looks similar with a bit more detail on the back but the overall vibe is the same. And I love it to absolute death. So much so I will continue to spam the board without regret or shame.
View attachment 443496 View attachment 443497
@ChienChilla, you know your fit with Aero, so you have a bullet in the chamber there. I k ow you want Shinki but I have to tell you the black brown vic compares very favorably IMO. And this is coming from a guy that would consider both leathers garbage as little as 3 years ago.

Nice jacket. I assume this is the Vicenza? I had a Highwayman in black badalassi which I decided was too big, so I sold it and a few other things to generate the funds for my Nelson. I have to say I loved the feel and temper of the badalassi, probably more than the shinki on the Nelson, which is still pretty rigid. The only drawback of the badalassi is that it's insanely squeaky, haha.

Nice jacket. I assume this is the Vicenza? I had a Highwayman in black badalassi which I decided was too big, so I sold it and a few other things to generate the funds for my Nelson. I have to say I loved the feel and temper of the badalassi, probably more than the shinki on the Nelson, which is still pretty rigid. The only drawback of the badalassi is that it's insanely squeaky, haha.
Yes, this is black/brown vic. Honestly I’ve always hated vic. Often looks printed, dead eyed, no color depth. Just boring. I’ve had 3 jackets in this hide pass through and the leather was just worlds better than any of the other vic colors I’ve had. I also really like Kelpie. It’s very light, smooth(ish) but has a nice subtle pull up. Never tried badlassi but it looks more appealing visually than vic. I’m a chrome tanned man at heart so all the veg and combo tanned (except CXL) are up against a wall with me anyway.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I swear I just saw some Japanese jackets on ebay in size 34. That is the size you need. Edit - they were Schott, Aero and Vanson in 34, all from Japan.

ChienChilla

Familiar Face
I was going to suggest a Herc repro too. With some fairly minor tweaks Aero or The RC get you there. My OG Herc looks similar with a bit more detail on the back but the overall vibe is the same. And I love it to absolute death. So much so I will continue to spam the board without regret or shame.
View attachment 443496 View attachment 443497
@ChienChilla, you know your fit with Aero, so you have a bullet in the chamber there. I k ow you want Shinki but I have to tell you the black brown vic compares very favorably IMO. And this is coming from a guy that would consider both leathers garbage as little as 3 years ago.
That looks awesome! I would love to own one, but as I mentioned earlier, I just can’t find anything from RC in my size. Can you contact them? Do they take special orders?

My Aero is black Vicenza, and it’s gorgeous. I actually think the Vicenza looks better than the Shinki, a lot grainier. Smelled better new too. But then again I’ve owned the Aero for almost two years now and the Nelson is brand new, so I guess it’s an unfair comparison. The seems like it’ll age very well too.

ChienChilla

Familiar Face
I swear I just saw some Japanese jackets on ebay in size 34. That is the size you need. Edit - they were Schott, Aero and Vanson in 34, all from Japan.
Yup, my Aero is size 34. I figured I’d get a a slighter bigger jacket in the Nelson for if I gain weight in the future, but it’s bigger than I thought.

dwilson

A-List Customer
Thanks for the link. That Caboose does look nice, but I prefer black jackets.

The Mulholland was the other one I was looking at it, but I’m probably going to run into the same issue since they’re so similar in measurements. I also looked into Rainbow Country, but I can’t find anything smaller than a 38 from them. Guess I just can’t wear Japanese jackets lol.

here is a RC black 36

http://the-rising.co.jp/?action=item_detail&id=4862

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That looks awesome! I would love to own one, but as I mentioned earlier, I just can’t find anything from RC in my size. Can you contact them? Do they take special orders?

My Aero is black Vicenza, and it’s gorgeous. I actually think the Vicenza looks better than the Shinki, a lot grainier. Smelled better new too. But then again I’ve owned the Aero for almost two years now and the Nelson is brand new, so I guess it’s an unfair comparison. The seems like it’ll age very well too.
RC does make size 34. There are also a few limited modified version. You can contact them but they do not take individual order. Dealers like MirrorBall, Mushman and Jelado are your best bet.
http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=168766499
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/americaya/rcl-10080am/

As for the Nelson, the shoulder seems to fit fine so I doubt a size 34 if they ever make one would fit. I have seen a size 34 Muholland but I am not sure the shoulder would fit because if I remember correctly the size 34 has a 41cm shoulder whilst you need a 43cm looking at your photo here. Layering is a very sound option. Wear a vest or thicker shirt.

Last edited:
I mean how realistic is it to expect to be the same size forever, right?

This kinda reasoning is harmful & yet I've heard it so many times before tho only here, on TFL - You're happy with the way you are now and instead of fully enjoying it, you gonna buy a jacket that's off, just 'cause it might look better on you down the line when in all likelihood you won't give much of a damn about it anyway?

Nah, man. If it gets to that, just sell your old jacket and get a new one.

My advice: If you like this jacket and if it's possible go with a size 34. I'm pretty sure it would look much, much better on you in every possible way.

Or go custom.

But in any case, this isn't a size you should be wearing.

EAC

One of the Regulars
I do not know where you are on your style journey, but are you sure that your taste in clothing will be the same when (if!) you put on a few pounds (and probably grow older as well)? Right now you would enjoy the jacket, who knows in 10 years?

As a side note, it looks a bit too big to me, too.

Last edited:

Observe

Practically Family
For OP's consideration: Here's a front and side shot of my Nelson partially zipped up with a button up shirt on underneath. I consider this to be a fairly ideal fit for me. I wouldn't mind maybe an extra half inch in the sleeves, though I think once the leather settles down it'll be OK. Jacket is still pretty new, and a bit stiff from when I got caught in a downpour wearing it. I'm wearing a 42 here at 6'4 and 200lb. It all depends on your fit preference, but when it comes to leather jackets I prefer snug over loose. It just looks and feels better to me. I hope to spare you the heart (and wallet) ache which I've experienced in convincing myself a jacket fits.

Attachments

• 20220809_084616.jpg
    20220809_084616.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 20220809_084630.jpg
    20220809_084630.jpg
    960.6 KB · Views: 146
For OP's consideration: Here's a front and side shot of my Nelson partially zipped up with a button up shirt on underneath. I consider this to be a fairly ideal fit for me. I wouldn't mind maybe an extra half inch in the sleeves, though I think once the leather settles down it'll be OK. Jacket is still pretty new, and a bit stiff from when I got caught in a downpour wearing it. I'm wearing a 42 here at 6'4 and 200lb. It all depends on your fit preference, but when it comes to leather jackets I prefer snug over loose. It just looks and feels better to me. I hope to spare you the heart (and wallet) ache which I've experienced in convincing myself a jacket fits.
That looks superb. RMC really did a nice job with the collar!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB