The Real McCoys '30s Cooper Jacket in "Black" Horsehide

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dudewuttheheck, Dec 3, 2020.

1. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

It fits you really well, congratulations!

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  2. Monitor

Monitor

I wanted to ask you or @tmitchell59 if you guys have ever seen a proof of RMC's claim of "...printing of other hide patterns which was frequently seen on leather jackets made in the west coast of America at the time" because I've never heard of this being a thing until I dunno, 70's.

dudewuttheheck and dannyk like this.
  3. ton312

ton312

To the best of my knowledge printed leather would’ve only been seen on sporting goods and sporting equipment. Not on garment grade leather.

4. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

You can also find them on both high end and low end leather accessories. As for jackets, I have seen some high end fashion imitation snakeskin leather jackets use printed leather.

5. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Dude - very nice fit and as always, great review and photographic work there. The first set of photos, shown on the floor & with the boots, I was almost thinking this is a greyish-brown leather, instead of a deeper brown. Your first set of fit photos at least suggests the idea of "black" however again clearly brown, and varies due to the light considerably.

I also really like the details and the "non-motorcycle" cross zip idea. Kind of takes the concept of the Aero Bootlegger and kicks it up a notch. The stiching, the fine-ness of the details, and the fit all work together to make this a briliant jacket on you. Given your dimensions, I can certainly see how the fit aspect is a tricky one indeed.

As to the leather itself, I'll quote a famous Iowa saying - "it is what it is." If it's something you like - indeed go for it. There are several other brands using "printed" or corrected leathers and they are just fine. If that's not your cup of tea there are plenty of other vendors offering un-corrected Horsehide, etc to choose from. From 10 feet back you would never notice. Up close the "grain" looks a bit like goatskin that I have owned in the past. Since it fits you so well, wear it and enjoy it, and hopefully you can post some break-in photos. It will be interesting to see how it develops as you add character and useage to this jacket.

6. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

I think this printed leather is a bit different from corrected grains. My understandings is corrected grain such as scotch grain does not have the criss-cross you see here because the "correction" though fake is still to imitate real grain so will never have that criss-cross pattern.
    I have seen it on imitation snakeskin leather though because it makes the leather scale like.

7. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

I think this is called scotch grain. Isn't this printed as well? 6D232A62-9D94-4793-997E-9E6C71BB8B49.jpeg

8. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

Yes that is scotch grain a corrected leather but did you see the criss-cross on the RM besides the grain creating the diamond shapes? That is like the printing on a basket ball and not on a garment.

9. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

I don't think I have. What do you mean by 'criss-cross'?

10. diabel

diabel Familiar Face

Nice jacket and fits you very well! And clearly it is not black but nice dark brown. The printing is only visible close by. Maybe rmc tried to make it look like a goatskin?

11. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

@dudewutthehecks how does the leather feel, how is its temper?
    I'm curious because I once had a billfold made from printed leather like this, but that was really hard to the touch.

12. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

I can't say that that's a jacket or hide I'd buy, but these Engineers... Damn! real masterpieces.

13. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

Islay?

Marc mndt likes this.
  14. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

IMO this is by far your best-fitting jacket. The length is perfect for this type of jacket and your height.

15. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

Yep

16. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think you may be reffering to this "effect" that is observed when viewing the leather up close. Again, not perhaps a deal breaker for me, but gives some unique character to the jacket:

upload_2020-12-3_10-51-16.png

17. ton312

ton312

I thought this too...but then why not just use goat? I'd say it's still too uniform a pattern to replicate an actual animal...when I think of printed leather I think of these things, like these vintage basketballs/footballs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These items being given an embossed grain to improve grip. The jacket does fit really well. I would be quite pleased with that fit myself. I wonder if it will tame and become less obviously printed with wear. Like the elbows/forearms smoothing out the way an old football does.

dudewuttheheck, AeroFan_07 and dannyk like this.
  18. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

I wonder how this leather will develop. Could turn our nice. The scotch grain gets less pronounced in areas of friction.

dannyk likes this.
  19. Psant25

Psant25 One Too Many

Looks great dude!

20. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

That is tight, dude! Congratulations on another stunner. I don't mind the corrected grain, if it's good enough for RMC then it must be of good stock. That is so awesome to get off the rack sizing that beats a MTO fit in terms of getting to the near perfect fit we all try to achieve

dudewuttheheck and Boyo like this.