The Real McCoys '30s Cooper Jacket in "Black" Horsehide

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dudewuttheheck, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Bennarion

Bennarion One Too Many

The jacket fits you very well. Here is my bag, I think also a print, five days a week the skin rubs against my clothes. More than once there was a complete blotting of the leather.No changes IMG_20201204_153524.jpg IMG_20201204_153441.jpg IMG_20201204_153718.jpg

dudewuttheheck and tmitchell59 like this.
  2. cellini

cellini New in Town

3. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thank you for posting these links. A rather interesting breakdown on the Johnson jacket. Actually incredible detail of the original. Wow!

They don't mention the patterning. The original in their possession is Goatskin with a pronounced grain, but is natural.

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  4. Rosecitymike

Rosecitymike One of the Regulars

Not to derail, but Lee Miller of Texas Traditions has some of the original Russian reindeer hides. Was in the shop a couple years ago And got a tour. Really interesting leather. (And Lee is seriously one of the nicest dudes you’ll ever meet) I think I have another year plus on his waiting list but hope to get a pair of boots from him sometime, though I doubt it will be in the reindeer—would be sweet but can’t imagine the cost! I do have a pair of Zonkey Boot lace-ups in embossed leather that replicates this leather rather well and is a stunning pair of boots.

5. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  6. marker2037

marker2037 A-List Customer

As has already been said, this is your best fitting jacket so far.

This type of embossed leather is not scotch grain, but rather "Utah" as brands such as Edward Green call it or "Alpine" (Alden) or "Russian Calf".

Here are some examples:

https://gentlemensfootwear.com/products/edward-green-dover-in-dark-brown-utah

https://www.fransboonestore.com/products/alden-alpine-grain-leather-dover

What this all means really is that it's just a crosshatch grain, which ends up being very water resistant and is usually a grain chosen for "rainy day" footwear. All these iterations are highly prized in the goodyear welt shoe/boot world so I think you're in good company. Just look at the price of what Edward Green charges and they make some of the best shoes in the world, outside of true bespoke. I own a pair of Lof & Tung chukkas in Utah grain from Skoaktiebolaget.

Sublime jacket either way and I would be happy if I was you.

7. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

This is a Block Bilt from San Francisco c.1940, so 80 years old. It does not have a leather tag. It is has a soft hand and in like new condition, but unlike anything I have experienced. It changes color too, looks grey in the light, but is Black.

This must be the West Coast patterning? If this isn't it I don't know what is.
    The other jacket is late 30s Bay area in steerhide that is also most unusual.

DSC09785.JPG DSC09787.JPG DSC09788.JPG DSC09789.JPG DSC09790.JPG DSC09791.JPG

Attached Files:

8. marker2037

marker2037 A-List Customer

That looks like natural grain to me, not embossed grain.

9. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

These two represent the words: Art in Leather -- to me. Thanks for sharing these Terry.

tmitchell59 and dudewuttheheck like this.
  10. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

Thanks for posting this and the other jackets. I love this style of jacket. I'm going to have to start hunting for originals now myself.

Thanks! I think so too.

Yeah that's what I was saying earlier. It looks more like Russian calf rather than scotch grain. I'd love to get some of that actual Russian Reindeer leather.

Yeah with everything else I have, I don't mind having this weird leather in my collection. If it was my first jacket, then maybe not. That's not the case though.

Yes I think it does fit me best. Hopefully the aging goes well with this jacket.

Thanks for sharing this! A friend sent this jacket to me on instagram too. Measurements on this one don't work as well for me, but the jacket looks great.

tmitchell59 likes this.
  11. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

I was referring to Mark's photo which shows scotch grain boots but as I said I doubt Dude's jacket is scotch grain.
    "Some leathers had embossed printing of other hide patterns which was frequently seen on leather jackets made in the west coast of America at the time. "
    https://therealmccoys.com/products/30s-sports-jacket-cooper
    To me it looks like they are going for some lizard skin pattern.

12. Monitor

Monitor

That's goatskin.

13. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Beautiful fit dude.

Could this be the look RMC is looking for? It’s a closeup of an early 40s Eagleson’s CHP (also had a Scully’s label). Out of SF, Cali.

664BBE30-EA3D-415B-A6F7-AB5E4D8D5151.jpeg

Torstein, Benny Holiday and El Marro like this.