Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real McCoys 30's Sport/Mobster black leather jacket review (with pictures)

Roger_af

New in Town
Purchased this jacket from the classifieds here at FL from AgentSmith77 who only wore it a few times (previously from Knakorn Piulueangsawat) - and wanted to post a few pictures and thoughts.

It's The Real McCoys 30's Sport/Mobster Black Leather Jacket. Notably this one seems to have been purchased through Japanese retail based on the hang tag and instructions in Japanese - and, despite being labelled as a size 40, the size specs match the equivalent size specs of a US size 38 from Standard and Strange. I was a bit nervous on the size as I tried a size 42 on at Standard and Strange (the smallest they had) and couldn't tell if I would want a size 40 vs a size 38 in the US sizing (although Gen is roughly the same size as me and said I should get a size 38).

TRM lists these features:
Shinki vegetable tanned horsehide
Black wool serge lining
Talon zipper
Ball chain pocket zippers
DOT snap buttons
Urea wrist buttons

I personally love the style of this jacket. It's simple, but interesting - and it has that beautiful whole-back panel.

The leather on this jacket is beautiful with excellent grain from the get go. I'm excited to see how that develops over time/usage. The stitching looks great - nice straight lines and high stitch per inch. If I'm being really critical, there are 2 or 3 spots where the stitches aren't perfect (a very small stitch or a slightly long stitch), but it's the best stitched leather jacket I've owned.

After only 7 wears, the arms are creasing nicely. The fit is just what I was looking for - trim, but I still have enough room for a sweatshirt underneath. I'm really loving this and looking forward to developing some patina.

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 1,112
  • Front 2.jpg
    Front 2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1,188
  • PXL_20211205_001205983.jpg
    PXL_20211205_001205983.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 864
  • PXL_20211205_001212409.jpg
    PXL_20211205_001212409.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 825
  • PXL_20211205_001239158.jpg
    PXL_20211205_001239158.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 807
  • PXL_20211205_001244049.jpg
    PXL_20211205_001244049.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 764
  • PXL_20211205_001539126.jpg
    PXL_20211205_001539126.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 788
  • PXL_20211205_005655897.jpg
    PXL_20211205_005655897.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 1,131
  • PXL_20211205_210008605.jpg
    PXL_20211205_210008605.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 1,271

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Great pick-up! You wear this well. I very much like this model and have often mused if it´s not the better "Mulholland". let´s call it a draw...

Roger_af

New in Town
I really like the Mulholland, too. It's kind of a toss up between the two for me. I prefer the waist on the Mulholland, but I prefer the lack of an upper pocket and the buttons rather than snaps on this one. They're both beautiful in my opinion.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Purchased this jacket from the classifieds here at FL from AgentSmith77 who only wore it a few times (previously from Knakorn Piulueangsawat) - and wanted to post a few pictures and thoughts.

It's The Real McCoys 30's Sport/Mobster Black Leather Jacket. Notably this one seems to have been purchased through Japanese retail based on the hang tag and instructions in Japanese - and, despite being labelled as a size 40, the size specs match the equivalent size specs of a US size 38 from Standard and Strange. I was a bit nervous on the size as I tried a size 42 on at Standard and Strange (the smallest they had) and couldn't tell if I would want a size 40 vs a size 38 in the US sizing (although Gen is roughly the same size as me and said I should get a size 38).

TRM lists these features:
Shinki vegetable tanned horsehide
Black wool serge lining
Talon zipper
Ball chain pocket zippers
DOT snap buttons
Urea wrist buttons

I personally love the style of this jacket. It's simple, but interesting - and it has that beautiful whole-back panel.

The leather on this jacket is beautiful with excellent grain from the get go. I'm excited to see how that develops over time/usage. The stitching looks great - nice straight lines and high stitch per inch. If I'm being really critical, there are 2 or 3 spots where the stitches aren't perfect (a very small stitch or a slightly long stitch), but it's the best stitched leather jacket I've owned.

After only 7 wears, the arms are creasing nicely. The fit is just what I was looking for - trim, but I still have enough room for a sweatshirt underneath. I'm really loving this and looking forward to developing some patina.
Looks really nice, Congratulations!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have the old version JM mobster as well as the original Californian it is based on. I like the Muholland better but I can't fit into the FW V shaped anymore.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice jacket, nice fit too.
I really want to try a jacket with this design of underarm gussets, i wonder how well it works.
I love these gussets. More shoulder than underarm. My son's LW Roadhouse and my Langlitz have the underarm "football" type gussets and I really like them for mobility. The Mulholland has gussets like this RM, another great design I love. Between the two designs I do not even have a preference.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Really nice jacket there and good review too. Timeless style as many others said.

Your Daughter seems to enjoy it as well! Nice photos with family included. :)

Cornelius

Practically Family
I love these gussets. More shoulder than underarm. My son's LW Roadhouse and my Langlitz has the underarm "football" type gussets and I really like them for mobility. The Mulholland has gussets like this RM, another great design I love. Between the two designs I do not even have a preference.

Anyone have detailed photos of tbis particular gusset design? I wonder if it's a feature JL could functionally imitate on a custom job.

dwilson

A-List Customer
I wonder how similar the freewheelers and RealMcCoys leather for these jackets is. They look the same to my eyes but I have never handled a RealMcCoys

Guess I'm on the opposite side where I have an RMC in this leather but never handled Freewheelers. I will say though I'm only so-so on this leather. It isn't bad but I'd take my Flat Head black leather over the RMC any day of the week. I just prefer the feel and the look. Visually from pictures TFH looks more similar to FW than RMC.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I wonder how similar the freewheelers and RealMcCoys leather for these jackets is. They look the same to my eyes but I have never handled a RealMcCoys

I don´t know if its safe to generalize, but I do have the Mulholland and an RMC A2 in veg-tan horse. Between the two, the FW´s hide is very similar to the HH, GoodWear uses, with a rather "musty" odor and a pronounced grain right from the start. It´s also a bit like the grainier samples from Greg Fields earlier jackets.
The RMC is slightyl heavier to the hand, without much grain and a rather smooth, clean surface. It reminds me very much of the pigemnt dyed shinki, Himel uses.

Of the two, I do actually do prefer the RMC. This is very much personal taste, but too me it looks and feels slightly more luxurious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ