Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real Mccoy's Buco J-22 or J-24

christian-h

One of the Regulars
Well, I’m borrowing this thread.

I'm a proud owner of RMC Steinbeck, but... I can't help it - RMC J-22 is still inside my head.

The pricing is an issue (how could it not be?) and if I pull the trigger, I also will let of my Steinbeck. It's a difficult decision and my Steinbeck doesn't get worn as often as it should. That's why I raise the question.

Two black leather jackets in this price range is to much for me. I want one jacket, one jacket that I choose over any jacket. Both jackets is great, no doubt. But I imagine that their J-22 will get worn more often.

On a typical day I will wear high waisted chinos/denim, Converse/Alden/Crockett & Jones, tucked in t-shirt and an over shirt. It doesn't get much more complicated.

Have anyone here tried them both? Pros and cons? Which jacket would you say ”works” best to me?

8071FEAD-C6FD-4633-940F-ECCB9AAEF4F2.jpeg
B3BDEC62-E4C6-4714-B7CF-A2A54D1A012D.jpeg

Best wishes,
C

Last edited:

Mich486

One Too Many
I think the Steinbeck goes better with your overall look and if you want only one black leather jacket then the Steinbeck is quite objectively more versatile.

That said, I also think that everyone should own at least one cross-zip jacket :) keep the Steinbeck and add the buco to your collection! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58panheadfan

One Too Many
... IMHO, the Buco has been re-designed as a repro fashion jacket by RM. It looks great and certainly more fashionable than the bulky wide cut of the other repros (LW for one) but it is not made for riding if that is what you are looking for.

Exactly - you nailed it! As said before in this thread... cut is made for asian physique. The RM "J" jackets are more a hipster/non biker thing... but nevertheless great jackets in terms of quality/material. If you are looking for a jacket to ride, go for another maker e.g. LW, Langlitz, Vanson, Aero etc. or http://whitefeathermfg.com/produkt/buco-j21/ they are offering a nice j21 repro since lately, also custom option available.

WF J21
WF J21.jpg
buco-j21

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I think the Steinbeck goes better with your overall look and if you want only one black leather jacket then the Steinbeck is quite objectively more versatile....

I second that... and as said before: A "J" jacket was made for motorbike riding and should used for that... but these days it violated to a "fashion-thing"... you are the perfect Steinbeck-man ;)

Btw: Seeing a hipster swagger in a "J" or another real biker jacket not riding a bike bring tears to my eyes... LOL. I know, I know... I'm an old fashioned biker guy :rolleyes:

Last edited:

christian-h

One of the Regulars
I second that... and as said before: A "J" jacket was made for motorbike riding and should used for that... but these days it violated to a "fashion-thing"... you are the perfect Steinbeck-man ;)

Btw: Seeing a hipster swagger in a "J" or another real biker jacket not riding a bike bring tears to my eyes... LOL. I know, I know... I'm an old fashioned biker guy :rolleyes:

I wear a Panerai, made for diving – but I don’t dive
I wear a pea coat, made for the navy - but I’m not in the navy
I wear chinos, made for military purpose – but I’m not in the military

Well, my point is that a lot of clothing was once in a time intend to fill a gap. And it did. But not in the same way as for today.

Even if you ride a bike – a fine leather jacket is not your best protection. Therefore. A fashion thing as well.

I don’t ride a bike. I can, I have ridden both motorcycle and mx – but I have decided not to in the future. But hell yeah, I would still beat the crap out of a Buco.

Would you only wear an A-2 whilst riding a plane? ;)

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I wear a Panerai, made for diving – but I don’t dive
I wear a pea coat, made for the navy - but I’m not in the navy
I wear chinos, made for military purpose – but I’m not in the military

Well, my point is that a lot of clothing was once in a time intend to fill a gap. And it did. But not in the same way as for today.

Even if you ride a bike – a fine leather jacket is not your best protection. Therefore. A fashion thing as well.

I don’t ride a bike. I can, I have ridden both motorcycle and mx – but I have decided not to in the future. But hell yeah, I would still beat the crap out of a Buco.

Would you only wear an A-2 whilst riding a plane? ;)

Well said... and yes I wear an A-2 not flying a plane ;)

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the Steinbeck looks great and is a much more versatile jacket than any of the J styles.
Mich486 was spot on, keep the Steinbeck and buy the Buco repro as well.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure i agree with the statement that RMC J jackets are "hipster jackets"...
They are probably the closest copy of the real thing you can find. The originals aren't as thick as most currently used FQHH.

Fit wise, they are very different. The J-22 is IMO the shortest and slimmest one. The J-24 is longer and wider and i think is labeled a size smaller (a size 40 J-22 would fit closer to a size 38 J-24).
The JH-1 was the only one of the three that actually fit me properly, both the J-22 and 24 were always too short, or too wide if i sized up enough to get necessary length.
The JH-1 was the one that felt the best to me, better length to width ratio than the other two.
I would definitely recommend you try before you buy, as no two RMC model fits the same IMO.

Considering how different the Stainbeck and J are, i would keep both!

Bobby Peru

One of the Regulars
Well, I’m borrowing this thread.

I'm a proud owner of RMC Steinbeck, but... I can't help it - RMC J-22 is still inside my head.

The pricing is an issue (how could it not be?) and if I pull the trigger, I also will let of my Steinbeck. It's a difficult decision and my Steinbeck doesn't get worn as often as it should. That's why I raise the question.

Two black leather jackets in this price range is to much for me. I want one jacket, one jacket that I choose over any jacket. Both jackets is great, no doubt. But I imagine that their J-22 will get worn more often.

On a typical day I will wear high waisted chinos/denim, Converse/Alden/Crockett & Jones, tucked in t-shirt and an over shirt. It doesn't get much more complicated.

Have anyone here tried them both? Pros and cons? Which jacket would you say ”works” best to me?

View attachment 127682 View attachment 127683

Best wishes,
C
I just ordered a black Steinbeck like yours, and I can only wish that it would fit me as well as it does you. I have short arms and every off-the-rack jacket I have purchased has been a little too long on the sleeves for my liking. I’m hoping that the usual creasing and weather water exposure will shorten them just right. The only other way I’ve had the right arm length is when I went custom.

Keep that jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points