Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

TPD166

One Too Many
Thanks KC - it is in good shape overall, just a few minor condition issues as noted in auction. I bought it to be a "beater" and will go though with it this time. I've bought a couple of others at good prices, intending them to be beaters, but once I got them fixed up, they were too nice for that! Other than a re-shape for the brim and changing the hatband, I'm leaving this one alone!

TPD,
Nice 15, I saw that listing looked good. Looks to me like mid to late 60's from liner and sweatband imprints, would have been $15 model "15" and yes equivalent to 3X Beaver consistant with all from that era that I've seen. Good snag!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a question about Resistol nomenclature.

I see plenty of models that are named Resistol Melorol "model name here". Can anybody tell me what the Melorol refers to? I will be posting this question in the AAQGAA thread as well.

Mystic

Practically Family
Hi Guys, I'm looking for a time frame and current price range of a Resistol. I only have a useable photo of the liner logo. The other photo is to blury to see anything.
IMG_0615.jpg
[/IMG]

It's a fedora, not a western, in good condition with about 1' of the sweatband threads missing. Thats the only issue I know of.
Sweatband does have 'Beaver Fifteen' spelled out under the 'Kitten Finish' and kitten logo.

Would this be enough info to get a ballpark date and current selling price range. I'm not familiar enough with 'Kitten Finish' and what additional value it adds to a Resistol fedora.

TPD166

One Too Many
Bradford Hats?

Anyone know about Bradford Hats and Resistol? I just bought this western hat on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bra...3lW+rKL4lOnXkjC3QoLvjz8=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

[sorry cannot get photobucket to load at work]

From the box, I assumed it might be connected to Resistol and when it arrived today the box is marked "A Byer-Rolnick Product" (keeping it pre-1967-68). It is a very nice hat, 3X beaver, and is very similar (liner, ribbon, etc.) to an early 1970s Resistol Western I have. It was new-in-the-box - still has the paper ring around the hat.

Just curious - Bradford sounds familiar, but never knew it was a Resistol line.

Thanks!

TPD166

One Too Many
After using google to search TFL, I found this thread that answers the question somewhat - apparently Bradford was bought by Resistol in the 1960s - there was also a suggestion that Resistol was known as Bradford after the HATCO aquisition, but if so, this hat pre-dates that.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?25940-Bradford-quot-Beaver-35-quot

Anyone know about Bradford Hats and Resistol? I just bought this western hat on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bra...3lW+rKL4lOnXkjC3QoLvjz8=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

From the box, I assumed it might be connected to Resistol and when it arrived today the box is marked "A Byer-Rolnick Product" (keeping it pre-1967-68). It is a very nice hat, 3X beaver, and is very similar (liner, ribbon, etc.) to an early 1970s Resistol Western I have. It was new-in-the-box - still has the paper ring around the hat.

Thanks!

Mystic

Practically Family
Along with my earlier question in post 565 about a Resistol liner dating and current price going rate..

Which of these two resistol liners would be the oldest or would they be of the same era? Both are from Resistol fedora Kitten Finish Beaver Fifteen's.

KGrHqNoEFBc3By8-8BQtDvq5DQ60_3.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0615.jpg
[/IMG]

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Newest addition to my Hat addictions, my Wife found this NOS Resistol Western/Open Road, a 1960's model. I may leave the cattleman crease in this one.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Mystic, my best guess is that the cream liner without the oil silk (plastic) tip is older, but I am just guessing. It could be that they were options, maybe the 'plastic' tip was an upgrade. However, I think the creamy color liner with the shield crest is the older, and in my opinion the classier, of the two.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Great hat Daniel! Instead of having to mess with that old cattleman's crease I'll take it off your hands:)
I bet you would, however, I just may keep it with the cattleman's crease, I have been thinking with the snap brim set in a "fedora" style, it just may be really nice. And, as I am already waiting for a pair of custom made boots from "out west" to arrive, I need something a bit more on the Cowboy look from the normal Fedora look!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Thanks!

I am far from expert about the Bradford hats, but I sold a very clean Bradford that was an Open Road style and I was sort of sad to let it go, one of the nicest felts I have owned, the color was amazing and it was just soft as pie. And it was made down there in Texas also, back in the day when they really knew how to make a nice hat. But it was a bit too snug on me.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks, there is a really nice stingy brim (champ) in a 7 1/2 on ebay now, really clean sort of looks like a cross between that fly weight champ hat I sold you (Champs version of a playboy hat) and a Whippet, the bid last I looked was no bids yet, was not listed in the right place on ebay, do a "hat box" search and it should pop up........I think it is a New Old Stock hat as well.........

Landman

One Too Many
I bet you would, however, I just may keep it with the cattleman's crease, I have been thinking with the snap brim set in a "fedora" style, it just may be really nice. And, as I am already waiting for a pair of custom made boots from "out west" to arrive, I need something a bit more on the Cowboy look from the normal Fedora look!

I don't blame you! That will go well with a nice pair of boots.

Mystic

Practically Family
Thanks John and Randall.

I posted a couple of other questions about a Resistol with Landman today in the 'ask a question, get an answer' thread.

If you get a chance take a look at post 6261 in that thread. Your input would be appreciated.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks John and Randall.

I posted a couple of other questions about a Resistol with Landman today in the 'ask a question, get an answer' thread.

If you get a chance take a look at post 6261 in that thread. Your input would be appreciated.

Mystic,

We should have moved that correspondence to this thread. I wasn't thinking when I replied. If it is relevant, maybe one of the bartenders can move it. Sorry about that.

Mystic

Practically Family
Mystic,

We should have moved that correspondence to this thread. I wasn't thinking when I replied. If it is relevant, maybe one of the bartenders can move it. Sorry about that.

I didn't know how to do that except to duplicate the same posts here. That didn't seem to be the right thing to do.

There are some examples of the same and similar liners at the beginning of this thread. But, I get myself lost and confused going back and forth from page to page trying to compare them.

I still have training wheels when it comes to computer know how.

Also, some of the older photos are no longer there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters