Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

Annixter

Practically Family
Mystic, I think it will be hard to say which liner is older without seeing the other aspects of the hats--like sweatband and general style. The H. Rolnick liner with the protector dates to the late 40s/early 50s, but the coat-of-arms logo without a protector appears to have been used during the same time. Look at my post 550 for a picture of the similar H. Rolnick logo on my c. 1950 Homburg and KC's post 531 with a coat-of-arms logo without a protector that dates to at least mid-50s or older judging by the brown sweatband. From what I know, the two lions standing on each side of the crest were added at one point because some coat-of-arms logos on have the shield, but the two lions also exist on late-50's and 60's hats with black sweatbands. Notice my Homburg has the H.Rolnick logo but the box has the two lions with the coat of arms. I'm told the box is original, but I don't know enough about Resistol boxes to say anything there. Can you get other photos?

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
Mystic, I think it will be hard to say which liner is older without seeing the other aspects of the hats--like sweatband and general style. The H. Rolnick liner with the protector dates to the late 40s/early 50s, but the coat-of-arms logo without a protector appears to have been used during the same time. Look at my post 550 for a picture of the similar H. Rolnick logo on my c. 1950 Homburg and KC's post 531 with a coat-of-arms logo without a protector that dates to at least mid-50s or older judging by the brown sweatband. From what I know, the two lions standing on each side of the crest were added at one point because some coat-of-arms logos on have the shield, but the two lions also exist on late-50's and 60's hats with black sweatbands. Notice my Homburg has the H.Rolnick logo but the box has the two lions with the coat of arms. I'm told the box is original, but I don't know enough about Resistol boxes to say anything there. Can you get other photos?

Thanks for the imput. Nice Homberg !

I have a Resistol with the H. Rolnick logo but not the shield & lions. I have seen several Resistols on ebay with the shield & lions that are stated to be any where from late 40's to early 60's. Which prompted my question on the Lounge. I am beginning to believe this shield & lions liner was used for quite a span of years.

Resistols and Resistol dating doesn't get the intetest that Stetsons get although there are some good examples in this thread. Perhaps Resistol dating is so blured that pinning down dates is more difficult than Stetson. Or...Resistols are just not a popular as Stetsons.

I have seen a Resistol H. Rolnick liner with a OPS sticker which would be 1951-1953 as I understand those stickers.

My H. Rolnick
IMG_0629.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0630.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0631.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0632.jpg
[/IMG]

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

The resistol finally shows up, sure was an exciting day for me, the hat has been in the box since 1967 and never worn by anyone. A real close inspection tells me it is as clean as ever, not even needing a brushing, spotless, no dust, just clean! Not sure what to do with the crease, may leave it, may have this hat on the block, but for now, I am going to go grab a fat cigar, a cold drink and marvel at this hat!

Walt

One of the Regulars
I did a search and couldn't find any mention anywhere so here goes...anyone seen Resistols with the "Kodiak" finish? This is a long hair nap felt. I saw one recently on consignment. Didn't have a camera with me so have no picts, but I am going back and may try to get some picts to post if anyone is interested in seeing what this finish looks like. It is a newer western hat...90's or newer so not vintage, but sure not common to see long hair these days in a mass production hat. I can find no mention searching the web so I'm guessing Resistol (Hat Co.) may have already given up on making these.

Last edited:
Newest addition to my Hat addictions, my Wife found this NOS Resistol Western/Open Road, a 1960's model. I may leave the cattleman crease in this one.
Howdy, Daniel;
I'm not certain that I correctly sent a message to you. I have a hat that, judging by the ribbon treatment, looks very much like this one, picked up last summer in VT. Since it was reconditioned at some point, the liner and sweatband were swapped out, but the reorder tag inside looks like this...
ReOrderTag_2381.jpg

Here's the mystery hat...
BowSideView_2365.jpg

Does the Reorder tag on your beauty look like this?

Landman

One Too Many
Resistol Governor's Special

I have already posted this hat in the Hats With History Thread but thought it needed to be here also.

Below is a hat I recently purchased that apparently was given to Alaska's first Governor, William A. Egan. The sweatband states it is a Three X Beaver Governor's Special with Governor Egan's name also imprinted on it. It is a size 7 3/8 and has the same dimensions as a Resistol San Antonio. The hat appears to have never been worn or creased and came with the original box. Also in the box was one of Harry Rolnick's business cards.

Gov_Egan_Hat_301.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_303.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_304.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_305.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_306.jpg

Gov_Egan_Hat_307.jpg

Gov'ner's Hat

Congrats on this one, Mike! What a find for you, and the hat couldn't have found a better or more deserving caretaker...

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks.

Has anyone ever heard of one of these? I was curious if Resistol gave them to all the Governors or this one was made specially for Governor Egan. I have a feeling it was probably a special run made for all the Governors at that time.

Gov'ner's Hat

Landman...
Congrats on this one, Mike! What a find for you, and the hat couldn't have found a better or more deserving caretaker...

TPD166

One Too Many
Congrats - that is a fantastic hat!

Thanks.

Has anyone ever heard of one of these? I was curious if Resistol gave them to all the Governors or this one was made specially for Governor Egan. I have a feeling it was probably a special run made for all the Governors at that time.

Last edited:

TPD166

One Too Many
Sweatband issue

I bought a "beater" vintage Resistol/Byer-Resnick western hat a little while back and had gotten some feedback here in this thread on the "BR 15" markings. The hat is in decent shape overall, but has a few spots here and there, and since I got it for a great price, I decided to leave it alone and use it as my beater to leave in the truck. The lining and sweatband were in good shape (or so I thought) and I have worn it a number of times with no issues. This past weekend I wore it while hiking with my family. It was a cool day to start with and stayed pretty nice, even after the clouds disappeared and it turned sunny - therefore, I rarely removed the hat during the day, until I got back to the truck about four hours later. When I took it off, I noticed the front of the sweatband and buckled and curled up. I left alone until I got home a couple of hours later and examined it more closely.

Only the front of the sweatband is damaged - it is now hard and brittle, but the rest of it is still supple and soft. I tried to apply Lexol, but it is too far gone and cracked in a few places when I turned it down. I have certainly had older hats with fragile sweats, but I have never had one react like this one where it shriveled and curled up from just a few hours of wear. I guess I will have to invest a new sweatband, making my beater a bit more costly (up to now it was $15 total including shipping). Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen or has idea what caused this to occur?

Thanks!

Robert, I had pretty much the exact same thing happen to me & 2 vintage Resistols but it was sweating working around the barn instead of hiking. It was like my sweat was toxic to the old sweatband which felt fairly supple when I put it on. I think it has something to do with the self-conforming sweats of Resistols but that is just my conspiracy theory on it. I had the sweats replaced & now Lexol condition any older ones before I wear them at all. HTH
I bought a "beater" vintage Resistol/Byer-Resnick western hat a little while back and had gotten some feedback here in this thread on the "BR 15" markings. The hat is in decent shape overall, but has a few spots here and there, and since I got it for a great price, I decided to leave it alone and use it as my beater to leave in the truck. The lining and sweatband were in good shape (or so I thought) and I have worn it a number of times with no issues. This past weekend I wore it while hiking with my family. It was a cool day to start with and stayed pretty nice, even after the clouds disappeared and it turned sunny - therefore, I rarely removed the hat during the day, until I got back to the truck about four hours later. When I took it off, I noticed the front of the sweatband and buckled and curled up. I left alone until I got home a couple of hours later and examined it more closely.

Only the front of the sweatband is damaged - it is now hard and brittle, but the rest of it is still supple and soft. I tried to apply Lexol, but it is too far gone and cracked in a few places when I turned it down. I have certainly had older hats with fragile sweats, but I have never had one react like this one where it shriveled and curled up from just a few hours of wear. I guess I will have to invest a new sweatband, making my beater a bit more costly (up to now it was $15 total including shipping). Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen or has idea what caused this to occur?

Thanks!

EggHead

Practically Family
I have a Resistol Fedora Beaver Fifteen (late 40's) and it's the only one I have were sweatband is soft/supple and cracking at the same time. I agree with gtdean, I think it's the self-conforming design, perhaps makes it a little tighter around the head and stretches too much. Comfortable though, very comfortable.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
The beaver 100 that I picked up for a song a couple of months ago had the same issue. I decided to send it to Falcon Park for a complete rebuild and conversion as I thought I might wear it more as a fedora.

Last edited:

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Resistol Beaver 100

The Resistol Beaver 100 that I obtained from casechopper. What a great hat. The most remarkable felt I've ever handled. Very soft to the touch,,supple, and holds any crease. I wore this to Tennessee last month. Several men tried to talk me out of it. These were hat people, that recognized a great hat when they saw it! Regards, F_M
af9eef04817003bfa11da058a4816df8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters