Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

TPD166

One Too Many
Thanks for all the input - I own a number of vintage Resistols and have not had this happen before. Looks like a trip to the hatter before the week is out in now on my schedule to convert this hat into a much more expensive "beater."

Thanks again!
Robert

Robert, I had pretty much the exact same thing happen to me & 2 vintage Resistols but it was sweating working around the barn instead of hiking. It was like my sweat was toxic to the old sweatband which felt fairly supple when I put it on. I think it has something to do with the self-conforming sweats of Resistols but that is just my conspiracy theory on it. I had the sweats replaced & now Lexol condition any older ones before I wear them at all. HTH

I have a Resistol Fedora Beaver Fifteen (late 40's) and it's the only one I have were sweatband is soft/supple and cracking at the same time. I agree with gtdean, I think it's the self-conforming design, perhaps makes it a little tighter around the head and stretches too much. Comfortable though, very comfortable.

The beaver 100 that I picked up for a song a couple of months ago had the same issue. I decided to send it to Falcon Park for a complete rebuild and conversion as I thought I might wear it more as a fedora.

TPD166

One Too Many
I took the hat with me to Texas Hatters in Lockhart yesterday while picking up another hat - David advised there were several issues that caused the problem - (1) the acid in my sweat reacting with the way the sweatband was constructed; (2) the sweatband was likely a very thin "bonded leather" contructed over a sythetic core, which contributed to the sweat/acid causing the sweatband to buckle and crack (which was only where it contacted my skin and not my hair); and (3) the age of the sweatband (likely early to mid-1960s). But he is replacing it with a new all-leather sweatband, and for $25, my $15 beater will be a good as new!

Thanks for all the input - I own a number of vintage Resistols and have not had this happen before. Looks like a trip to the hatter before the week is out in now on my schedule to convert this hat into a much more expensive "beater."

Thanks again!
Robert

ideaguy

One Too Many
I've got a Resistol One Hundred- and second the opinion about the quality-simply superb! Would stack it against a Stetson 100 any time,
and would probably win a blind test-every time; just my humble opinion...

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
IMG_0887.jpg
IMG_0890.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
resortes805, that hat exudes pure coolness. It's been around, and still has presence!

Yeah it's definitely in 'beater' shape, but after seeing it in a shop window, I couldn't pass it by! After my wife smooched the brim on accident, I've worked all afternoon to get the lipstick out and attended to the decades of set-in spots of grime here and there.

Yeah it's definitely in 'beater' shape, but after seeing it in a shop window, I couldn't pass it by! After my wife smooched the brim on accident, I've worked all afternoon to get the lipstick out and attended to the decades of set-in spots of grime here and there.

Get some talc powder & cover the smooch well. Let it sit for a good while then brush off....

TPD166

One Too Many
Here is a Resistol Platinum Beaver 65 western I received today. It is a Byer-Rolnick era hat and is a beautiful light grey/silver color in very condition (I will brush, steam, and bash later tonight). It is in excellent condition, except for being poorly stored and in need a brim and crown re-shape. But there is something unusual about the hat – as you can see from the pictures (I apologize for the poor quality – all I had available was my camera phone) the band markings have been mostly struck over. Through the gold over-strike you can still read “Resistol Self Conforming” but “Hand Creased” was left clean. The “BR Platinum Beaver 65” marking in the front was not marked out, but the name of the store “Buffalo Ranch Western Store ????, Okla.” is covered as well. The other odd change is a “patch” that was applied to cover the plastic over the Resistol Western logo on the liner – it has come off, but was included with the hat. I could not get a clear photo of the crest, but here is a description:

Top Arch – “QUALITY SUPERIOR”
Center – Left To Right/Top Row – STANDING LION / 3 LIONS (?) FACING LEFT
Bottom Row – 3 LIONS (?) FACING RIGHT / HARP
Bottom Lettering – DIEM / ET MON /DROIT

Here are the pics:

resistol1_zps0947e786.jpg

resistol2_zps4f8fe5f5.jpg

resistol65_zps46585162.jpg

resistol_zpsc0c314c2.jpg

resistol_OK_zpscba836ca.jpg

resistolcrest_zpsbd62f07b.jpg

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is a preliminary pic of a Resistol Sky Fleet my wife picked up for me this morning. I think this will warrant a trip home for lunch today!

2013-12-1895093125_zps2de5fd86.jpg

Your wife picked that one up for you, Rog?! You'd BETTER go home AT lunch, but not FOR lunch, my friend... Take good care of that lady!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Nice ones guys! I especially like Mystic's Resistol! That is one awesome hat! Rogera's Sky Fleet's a real nice one too!...and TPD's Platinum Beaver 65 would make for an awesome conversion! A lot of possibilities there!

Here's a 4X Stagecoach Resistol (vintage 1970s) that I sent off to fellow Lounger, John Galt, to have converted to a ROTLA Indy fedora. Just a little cutting and flanging for the dimensional brim, add the double bow, and it should be in the mail and on its way by the end of the week as promised! Can't wait to get it. I've been wanting an Indy fedora for a while now and my 4X Resistol was a perfect candidate for a conversion...Here's what John G. has done so far...

uhtz.jpg

Last edited:

TOuten2

Familiar Face
image.jpg image.jpg

This is a Resistol that I picked up from a forum member. It originally sported a cattlemen's crease, but now has a teardrop style crease.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are some more pics of the newly acquired Sky Fleet

This hat is nearly new looking. Flawless and the sweat is very soft.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou