Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks gents! And actually I also have a Resistol Open Road clone which doesn't have a name on the band (or a remaining tag) although mine is about 5.5" open crown with a 2.5" brim...like the OR's little brother or something. But it's a fine hat. Yours suits you quite well too Jeff!

barrowjh

One Too Many
Jedwbpm and jlee562, I have San Antonios that do not say it on the sweatband; in fact, I have never seen a San Antonio that was marked as such on the sweatband. Most of the time, if the paper production tag is still behind the sweatband, you might see San Ant or San An, of if it is in the original box, there might be a similar paper tag on the box itself showing San Ant or San An, typically along with Sil Bel for color (silver belly). If it looks like an OR and the liner crest includes Byer Rolnick, it is a San Antonio unless you have clear proof to the contrary!

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
My Newly Purchased and Converted Resistol "Showdown"

Hey! It's been a while since I've shown my face around these boards. So I thought I would jump back in with a new hat. A little background; Back when I was logging in Colorado all throughout the 90's, I was virtually never seen without my felt Bush Hat. Suffice it to say, it was my favorite hat. Just the right amount of sweat stains blotching the ribbon area. Just the right amount of grime and much at the peak of the crown and around the brim. For fifteen years I have been without it because it did not survive the move from Colorado to the Pacific Northwest. Now, I am a permanent resident of the South living in Tahlequah, Oklahoma and enjoy the leisure of running my own Graphic Design Business from my office at home. I make my own hours and I fish when I want. Fantastic. I also thought that it was high time for another hat to "record" my life's adventures with and on. My ol' trusty Bush/Country hat which I dearly missed. For the last year I've been poking around stores Western and otherwise, looking on the nets and was not finding what I was looking for. I enjoy old fashioned taste as many of you do and although I found styles that were close, I could not find what I wore before.

So........long story short, I had to "make" it. I went to the local Western outfitter and found an open crowned hat that was very tall but the brim was also very, very wide. Five and a half inches wide. It was a cowboy hat but a little over the top brimwise. Not an issue. The hat in question was a Resistol "Showdown" with a very tough and superb 5X Beaver felt. Hard as nails. Exactly what I was looking for especially if I want it to survive my adventures through bush and bramble. The model I bought is a Fawn color with a thin Moss Green ribbon. Also perfect as my favorite color of daily clothing is camo! This just so happened to be the last one in the shop and at my size at 6 7/8. Lucky me!

I took it home and proceeded immediately to trim two inches off of the brim whilst I had the tea kettle on. After I trimmed the brim, I commenced to putting a nice Diamond Crease in the 5 inch untapered crown. I then shaped the brim with what I call a standard, fedora style swoop. Once I had the crease and shape done, I then took a fine grit sandpaper to the edge of the brim to remove the unsightly bevel from the edge and give it a nice, smooth rounded appearance and then, Voila! For $170.00 American and 15 years of waiting, I finally had my daily, go-to, all around favorite hat back and furthermore, I love it way more than the first!

Here are some pics.

051607SD.jpg

This is the exact model only this one is Black with a Black Ribbon, obviously

425022_1889770500394_1725447886_938088_382651693_n.jpg

After the trim and crease

431336_1893568115332_1725447886_939628_1226672459_n.jpg

With the brim edges sanded and rounded on Yours Truly.

Nice to be back!

Erik

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Hello Resistol Roundup,
New member, first post, don't have photo hosting figured out yet, please see avatar shot for now: my favorite everyday Resistol Telstar Kitten Finish stingy-brim dark forest green, my father's Churchill Ltd. fedora olive khaki (both mid-late 1950's with "Cavanagh" edges). Sitting atop my canvas rain hats, pith helmet and Resistol western. Really like all the upper-line Resistols and Churchills I have seen, hope to learn more and - budget allowing - collect more (7 1/8 LO - keep me in mind - thanks).
Cheers to the Fedora Lounge!

Last edited:

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
barrowjh, redwoodjedi, & co.:
I have admired several of the crown re-treatments here. I've recently acquired a Resistol OR / SA style (3X beaver silver belly bound edge) with cattleman crease I want to reshape into teardrop pinch. Any tips, tools, or techniques to get started? How much steam, water, and heat is enough or too much?
thanks,
KC

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

TomS

One Too Many
Hi Folks:
I am new to Resistol hats, and I had a couple of questions for the resident experts. I bought this hat, and I was curious about its age, and wether or not its a conversion? I appreciate any help that you guys can offer me, and I thank you in advance!
Best,
Tom
P.S. Is Resistol prnounced like *pistol* or *resist all*?

Pics are courtesy of the seller...
photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
TomS, probably the pronunciation would be "Resist all," since that concept, I understand, was the origin of the brand name.

My OR clone has a lining much like yours. Going with "Western," I'd think yours started life as a cowboy hat. It looks great!

Old Buzzard

New in Town
Hi Folks:
I am new to Resistol hats, and I had a couple of questions for the resident experts. I bought this hat, and I was curious about its age, and wether or not its a conversion? I appreciate any help that you guys can offer me, and I thank you in advance!
Best,
Tom
P.S. Is Resistol prnounced like *pistol* or *resist all*?

It is *resist all*...my mother worked for them back in the sixties. Wish I had been into hats in those days.

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
jlee562,
Thanks for the link, nice helpful tutorial. I started in changing an older Resistol cattleman crown to simple telescope for practice. This springboarded me to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OisMaRcdQI a video all interested must see! Roy Rogers himself takes a brand new 6" open crown Resistol, soaks it under a shower head, and using only his fingers and hands forms it into the sweetest double-telescoped pinched teardrop one could ask for! Cheers to Roy for being a Resistol crown-basher extraordinaire among his legendary talents!
KC

TomS

One Too Many
TomS, probably the pronunciation would be "Resist all," since that concept, I understand, was the origin of the brand name.

My OR clone has a lining much like yours. Going with "Western," I'd think yours started life as a cowboy hat. It looks great!

Thanks, sir

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Okay, I may have figured out the photo hosting links. Resistol Telstar Kitten Finish stingy-brim dark forest green early 1960's, my father's Churchill Ltd. fedora olive khaki late 1950's (both with "Cavanagh" edges). Sitting atop my canvas rain hats, pith helmet and Resistol western.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Warbaby

One Too Many
I think I posted a photo of this Resistol when I first got it a couple of years ago, but I thought some might be interested (or horrified) to see how it has evolved.

As found at a flea market for ten bucks:

resistol2.jpg

The shape of the crown just didn't look right on me so I gave it a new bash:

resistolrebash1cr.jpg

Recently replaced the skinny ribbon with a maroon pug:

ResistolPugged1cr.jpg

It doesn't really evoke any particular period or style, but I like it and it looks right on my noggin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael