Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

TPD166

One Too Many
I have searched the lounge for an answer to this question with no luck - what does a "15" (not 15X) marking on a Resistol western sweatband mean? The marking is next to the retailer's logo. I own a number of vintage Resistols, including a Diamond Horseshoe, but have not come across one with just a "15" stamp. I suspect that it may be an older hat, it has the Resistol Western lining, but the liner is red with a gold logo. Any info on the 15 marking or a guess as to the age is appreciated!

Thanks!

I have searched the lounge for an answer to this question with no luck - what does a "15" (not 15X) marking on a Resistol western sweatband mean? The marking is next to the retailer's logo. I own a number of vintage Resistols, including a Diamond Horseshoe, but have not come across one with just a "15" stamp. I suspect that it may be an older hat, it has the Resistol Western lining, but the liner is red with a gold logo. Any info on the 15 marking or a guess as to the age is appreciated!

Thanks!

I've had a vintage Resistol marked 12.5 = $12.50, late 50s/early 60s

Annixter

Practically Family
The newest addition: Resistol Ten Homburg. Excellent felt quality and a nice 2 1/2 brim with great swoop!

After looking through this thread, I conclude that it is c. 1950, but the box pictured below (in which I received it) appears newer; I don't know enough about Resistol boxes to say anything about a date. Any thoughts on the box's vintage? Interestingly, it appears that sometime between the late 40s and early 50s the "Ten" font changes from Roman like mine to cursive, or vice versa. Would anyone have an idea which script came first and when the transition occurred?

d5ce37ae.jpg

018c00dc.jpg

77afa8b4.jpg

e5b084b0.jpg

a913f4e4.jpg

d6426b88.jpg

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Annixter, fine looking Homburg! I just got my first Resistol western old enough to have the triangular O in the logo. Dinerman, can you help us with dating these? My best guess late 1940's - early 1950's:
Resistol Raw Hide Felts 5X Beaver, crown 6" open, brim 3 3/8" ribbon bound, three row 3/8" ribbon hatband, red and white sewn in silk liner with gold inked cowboy w/lariat logo "Raw Hide Felts - The Spirit of the West", light brown leather 1 3/4" sweatband Resistol Self-Conforming hats pat. 2178495 5X Beaver Ring and Brewer Dallas, TX. Size tag dark red round w/ gold ink. Brown paper Resistol Self Conforming details tag. Under sweatband tags: Byer-Rolnick Garland, Texas guarantee, size 7 1/8 and reorder no. 45189 matching sweatband stamp 45189, original store price tag 25.00. Color is a creamy tan with almost coppery ribbons, perhaps almond? A few bad moth nips, but felt is thin and light for a western, beautiful natural tan color, very velvety chamois-like finish with firm brim and soft crown. Took right to a big teardrop bash and snap down brim with a gentle nudge and a little steam. Compare to Silver Belly 3X San Antonio and Natural Silver 20X Western Resistols below:

Cheers from K.C.!

TPD166

One Too Many
I just got my latest Resistol western and had previously posted a question for info on the"15" marking - which other concluded it was likely the price. Now that have received the hat, I am trying to narrow down how old it is and was hoping some of the Resistol experts could help! Other than the "15" there are no X markings to indicate quality (based on my other Resistols it seems to be most like a 3X, maybe a 4X), it is marked "BR" for Byer-Rolnick, putting it pre-1968, and has a red & gold liner - most of the other westerns I have seen have a white lining, and I have one from the early 1970s that has a brown one. I have seen one or two FL discussions mention red Resistol liners, but nothing as dates or era. To save space, I only posted the liner and sweat pics - the hat is otherwise a raw edge, thin-ribbon, silverbelly rancher/cattleman.

rESISTOLLINING1.jpg

rESISTOLLINING2.jpg

rESISTOLLINING3.jpg

TPD166

One Too Many
I saw Resistols in one of the posted catalogs the other day (Miller's maybe?), and in 1970 Resistol felts were all $25 and up at that point.

Given the price point of Stetson 3X's of the 1950s, I agree that it is most likely a 3X or whatever Resistol's equivalent is...????

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
TPD,
Nice 15, I saw that listing looked good. Looks to me like mid to late 60's from liner and sweatband imprints, would have been $15 model "15" and yes equivalent to 3X Beaver consistant with all from that era that I've seen. Good snag!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo