Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

I picked this up recently. It’s not my size and needs a new sweatband…could be a nice project hat. 3 1/4” bound brim and approximately 5 1/2” open crown.

DA79F2E0-543D-4BF9-8758-3153FEA63A7D.jpeg
9A09A9AF-A753-4D21-9E7E-8D11AFE04697.jpeg
25347A03-393F-405B-A178-5AE6534AEDF0.jpeg
E69D3518-A2D0-4625-A948-424E4E1D9401.jpeg
C6F65525-B15C-4600-90EF-1531BEAC7C4A.jpeg
19D7B43F-A945-4C38-8323-A0B8EB61AD60.jpeg
7E92548E-7668-478A-9478-561462D94043.jpeg

That is a beauty, Jack. The Cavanagh edge by whatever name Resistol used for it, adds so much to the appeal of this hat. Great find.
Thanks Stefan. There are a few Resistol WAR's with the hand-felted edge, & a couple Stetson TAR's with their Mode Edge but this is the first Resistol TAR to turn up that I'm aware of.

Byer - Rolnick era Resistol 3X with 2-cord ribbon & hand-felted brim edge (Mode Edge, Cav Edge, etc). Rare hand-formed edge for a Western dress fedora. The felt of this 3X will rival the best 7XCB.

View attachment 395220

View attachment 395221

View attachment 395222

View attachment 395223

View attachment 395224

View attachment 395225

View attachment 395226

View attachment 395227

View attachment 395219

View attachment 395228

Continued
Now that is a beautiful hat.

Norm DePlume

New in Town
Comrades. I just thought I would stop by to show you this recent ebay pickup, a Resistol 3x Beaver, model unknown, age unknown. Nothing super special, just a solid vintage lid. Pretty sure none of you were the seller, since this guy had no idea how to ship a hat. He basically treated it like a 2 dollar thrift store rag, just kind of crammed it into a too-small box with literally no padding of any kind, so it arrived crumpled and sad looking. Fortunately this felt is very forgiving even for an inexperienced twit like me, and I was able to sort out the brim without too much difficulty, going for something along the lines of my Akubra Banjo Paterson.

The crown survived its tortuous journey intact. The C crease is set in there pretty well, but this hat is not rigid like a cowboy. It takes the steam well, so I'm confident that I could open up the crown and redo it if I wanted to, though I think it's too low to go the Open Road route. I'll probably just leave it as is. I have no idea what this style would be called by somebody who knows what the hell they are talking about, but if I get to make it up, I guess I would call it a "cowboy fedora."

I've read enough threads here to understand that these things are hard to date. There's no label under the sweat or any other obvious clues that I can detect. But based on what I've read here, I believe it's been at least a few decades since hats of this ilk were sold under the Resistol banner. '60s or '70s maybe? Am I way off on that?

I'm not accustomed to seeing myself in hats with brims quite this wide ( 3-1/4), so I haven't decided yet whether it's a keeper. Quality-wise, no complaints whatsoever, especially given the cheap price I paid, and learning in this short period of time that I generally have to pay a premium for being in the 7-3/8 club.

Anyway, as a newcomer to the hatting hobby, I welcome any thoughts, reactions, suggestions, insights, insults, etc.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Comrades. I just thought I would stop by to show you this recent ebay pickup, a Resistol 3x Beaver, model unknown, age unknown. Nothing super special, just a solid vintage lid. Pretty sure none of you were the seller, since this guy had no idea how to ship a hat. He basically treated it like a 2 dollar thrift store rag, just kind of crammed it into a too-small box with literally no padding of any kind, so it arrived crumpled and sad looking. Fortunately this felt is very forgiving even for an inexperienced twit like me, and I was able to sort out the brim without too much difficulty, going for something along the lines of my Akubra Banjo Paterson.

The crown survived its tortuous journey intact. The C crease is set in there pretty well, but this hat is not rigid like a cowboy. It takes the steam well, so I'm confident that I could open up the crown and redo it if I wanted to, though I think it's too low to go the Open Road route. I'll probably just leave it as is. I have no idea what this style would be called by somebody who knows what the hell they are talking about, but if I get to make it up, I guess I would call it a "cowboy fedora."

I've read enough threads here to understand that these things are hard to date. There's no label under the sweat or any other obvious clues that I can detect. But based on what I've read here, I believe it's been at least a few decades since hats of this ilk were sold under the Resistol banner. '60s or '70s maybe? Am I way off on that?

I'm not accustomed to seeing myself in hats with brims quite this wide ( 3-1/4), so I haven't decided yet whether it's a keeper. Quality-wise, no complaints whatsoever, especially given the cheap price I paid, and learning in this short period of time that I generally have to pay a premium for being in the 7-3/8 club.

Anyway, as a newcomer to the hatting hobby, I welcome any thoughts, reactions, suggestions, insights, insults, etc.

View attachment 405417 View attachment 405418 View attachment 405419 View attachment 405420 View attachment 405421 View attachment 405422 View attachment 405424 View attachment 405425

Someone has replaced the ribbon and made a very loose and open bow. I’d change that, but that’s just aesthetics and you may like it. I think the dimensions of the hat should make it easy to wear and a nice gateway into westerns.

Although American hats of this era are not known for their quality, some of my favorite daily wear hats are very similar in proportion and from this time. I bet you’ll get comfortable under it in no time.

Norm DePlume

New in Town
Someone has replaced the ribbon and made a very loose and open bow. I’d change that, but that’s just aesthetics and you may like it. I think the dimensions of the hat should make it easy to wear and a nice gateway into westerns.

Although American hats of this era are not known for their quality, some of my favorite daily wear hats are very similar in proportion and from this time. I bet you’ll get comfortable under it in no time.
Appreciate your input, sir! Understanding, again, that dating these things is tricky, when you say "American hats of this era...," what era are you referring to? Are you thinking my wild guess of '60s or '70s is reasonable?

Appreciate your input, sir! Understanding, again, that dating these things is tricky, when you say "American hats of this era...," what era are you referring to? Are you thinking my wild guess of '60s or '70s is reasonable?

I’m not an authority on dating hats, but I suspect this is after Byer-Rollnick. I’d say 1970s or ‘80s, but it could be more recent.

Monte

A-List Customer
I'd ditch the feathers and go from there. Nice vtg dressier liner. That color could make a cool hat if you get all the variables how you want them.

Monte

A-List Customer
I just bought this 6X silverbelly Resistol today at a non-chain, out of town western shop. Got two compliments right away once in town. I'm happy because my local western store is moving to cheaper, lesser known, wool felt hats. (Pics not mine)
RFCTLM-754071_1024x1024.jpg

Attachments

• RFCTLM-754071-4_1024x1024.jpg
    RFCTLM-754071-4_1024x1024.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 57

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko