Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Return of The Three Piece Suit

babs

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
2647_65483868810_642563810_1690320_3541850_n.jpg

... Dapper Dad!

hehehehe :) Sorry.. Couldn't resist.

klind65

One of the Regulars
Couldn't agree more

Vous avez raison, Monsieur! The three piece suit is hard to beat. If I may be frank: I hate, loathe and abominate the plethora of ill-dressed cads that I see daily on the streets of New York. They look nauseatingly puerile and jejune - like kindergarteners really in their trainers, baseball caps, T-shirts and knapsacks ( which look preposterously like Mae West style life preservers!) Ridiculous. I can't take such men seriously. Indeed, they don't seem like men at all but like boys. The Eternal Puer. Peter Pan. I mean, grow up already! I almost NEVER see a man I would consider acceptable. Yet because of the rarity now of well dressed people, when one is spotted, boy, is it a joy. I indulge in a healthy dose of the old films each night to satisfy my desire to see handsome well dressed men. For my money no one can beat Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Aside from being naturally blessed with great looks, he also took pains to consistently dress impeccably. An icon. Kind wishes, klind65

babs

A-List Customer
Man that's sharp with the red (I think from the pic) shirt.
Saw a vintage homburg on ebay with matching redish or burgundy ribbon and band that just might work with such an ensemble. whoops.. where'd it go? You swapped pics there.. oh well, you know the shirt. :)

Now the newb here will have to get brave, take the training wheels off and find some threads on matching suits with different hats (colors/styles).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The 3pc is still fashion-forward to a few, and out of fashion to the many.

In NYC, you see them very infrequently, and only on the dandiest of dandies or the youngest and most urban of young urban spreadsheet jocks. The black pinstripe variety is the latter's choice - not really a choice, as it is all that's offered. Any tie is worn with it, as long as it has a shine. (Shoes are no longer expected to.)

The vests appearing with slim cut linen suits a couple of summers ago are gone now. It appears that to bring off a vest these days, a suit must have a certain obviousness: either clearly casual or clearly business. If vests come back any further, it seems likely they will still be statements, and exceptions to the rule.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I almost exclusively look for three piece suits now. The only exceptions are double breasted suits and summer suits (both of which I'd prefer with a matching waistcoat if I can find them).

I've posted these before, but just to add to the mix, my two vintage three-pieces

DSC09400.jpg

DSC09071.jpg

Both are very dark blue, one with subtle white and blue stripes and the other with white double pinstripes.

I also have one other three-piece, though it's not as old as these. Next on my hunting list is a tweed three piece in brown or green.

klind65

One of the Regulars
Thank you

Marc Chevalier said:
And frank you certainly are. lol

Here are several 3-piece antidotes for you.

DSC04397-CROP.jpg
double-breastedwaistcoat-1.jpg

CiccadaAllanJan090041_edited-1.jpg

This one is a 2-piece, but what the hell.

IMG_1033-vi-2.jpg

You look magnificent from head to toe. I wish there were some folks like you here in NYC. Much obliged for the photos

klind65

One of the Regulars
DrSpeed said:
Gentlemen,

Is the threepiece suit discussion an American thing?
On this side of the ocean I wouldn't really consider a threepiece something special or striking. Admittedly, here in Holland stylishness is becoming a rarity, but if a suit is worn, a proper suit that is, it's as often three piece as not in my perception.

Hello. Would you mind speaking a bit about the sartorial standards in Holland? Things being at a nadir here in the USA, I have been trying to discover whether things are better in Europe. One young chap I know attended school in Holland several years back and said he felt people there made more of an effort to dress respectably. What is your opinion? On a more general note, I was stopped on the street once by a Londoner who, whilst admiring my attire, told me that people there "dress" (as opposed to America). Lastly, my native German colleagues have told me, to my infinite delight, that in Germany formalism is still honored, i.e: that co-workers never address each other by their first names - that is reserved for family and close friends. That is something I practice myself finding the current American cult of familiarity undignified and disrespectful. How is this addressed in Holland? Much obliged, klind65

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
klind65 said:
Vous avez raison, Monsieur! The three piece suit is hard to beat. If I may be frank: I hate, loathe and abominate the plethora of ill-dressed cads that I see daily on the streets of New York. They look nauseatingly puerile and jejune - like kindergarteners really in their trainers, baseball caps, T-shirts and knapsacks ( which look preposterously like Mae West style life preservers!) Ridiculous. I can't take such men seriously. Indeed, they don't seem like men at all but like boys. The Eternal Puer. Peter Pan. I mean, grow up already! I almost NEVER see a man I would consider acceptable. Yet because of the rarity now of well dressed people, when one is spotted, boy, is it a joy. I indulge in a healthy dose of the old films each night to satisfy my desire to see handsome well dressed men. For my money no one can beat Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Aside from being naturally blessed with great looks, he also took pains to consistently dress impeccably. An icon. Kind wishes, klind65

I couldn't agree more! I try to seperate myself from those kind of people. I live in Brooklyn so I'm really the only one walking around with a fedora, dress shoes and a tie and the badly dressed men and women give me strange looks. In my opinion no one can beat Jean Harlow, who had natural beauty, and dressed well. I'll never understand why everyone is so immature now or why they choose to dress like slobs. It's good to know there are plenty of other people who agree.

Feraud

Bartender
I know this topic has been talked to death on the Lounge but for the new folks..
Let us not assume that anyone who doesn't dress like us is somehow immature or morally bankrupt. It's only clothes.
A cursory glance in the past will shows plenty of immature well dressed creeps.

Let's enjoy our small clique without judging the other guy too harshly.

klind65

One of the Regulars
GoldenEraFan said:
I couldn't agree more! I try to seperate myself from those kind of people. I live in Brooklyn so I'm really the only one walking around with a fedora, dress shoes and a tie and the badly dressed men and women give me strange looks. In my opinion no one can beat Jean Harlow, who had natural beauty, and dressed well. I'll never understand why everyone is so immature now or why they choose to dress like slobs. It's good to know there are plenty of other people who agree.
Hello. Thanks for your response. I'm glad to know you are out there! I just want to add my support and encourage you to keep it up! I had a woman once on the upper west side at a bus stop compliment me on my hat and say, " I love hats and have several.... you are very courageous..."., implying she couldn't wear hers. But I told her she SHOULD wear her hats! And I really don't know what she meant by courage - I never feel out of place or odd even though I dress differently. I do get attention, but it is always kind and admiring. ( At least those who dislike it have the grace to keep their opinions to themselves). You say people give you strange looks; I'm sure you look great, so I can't imagine why, but it might help if you don't look at them directly. That is to say, when I'm out, I rarely look into anyone's eyes - I just mind my own business and keep a nice smile on my face. If you appear happy and well-adjusted, most people feel intimidated and won't bother you.
One thing perhaps you could say, if people question you: "If people can choose to look like tramps and bums, then I can choose to look like a gentleman." ...or something like that. Also,it might help to take a historical perspective: for the entire history of the world - really until the 1960's, being well-dressed was the norm (at least for the upper classes) and it was really taken to extreme levels- think of the powdered wigs of the 18th c. or the huge crinolines and dresses of the Civil War era. There are many more examples but my point is that our current era is an aberration . It will not last! Just as Chinese foot binding was an extreme measure to accomodate a past ideal of female beauty - our era is extreme in its apathy towards beauty and its idolatry of disharmony, vulgarity, the ugly and the vile. Just carry on and see yourself as teaching by example. Sometimes that is the most effective way to change the world. And remember, you are not alone! Kindest wishes, klind65

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Feraud said:
I know this topic has been talked to death on the Lounge but for the new folks..
Let us not assume that anyone who doesn't dress like us is somehow immature or morally bankrupt. It's only clothes.
A cursory glance in the past will shows plenty of immature well dressed creeps.

Let's enjoy our small clique without judging the other guy too harshly.

IMHO, Feraud, you're a Fedora Lounge hero. :eusa_clap

babs

A-List Customer
As a newbie here, I'm interested by the difference in cultures, even among western European and American.

My last trip to France several years ago, I truly felt like a fish out of water in jeans and shirts of colors other than white, black, gray or some other subdued color. Needless to say "when in Rome.." So I left the typical spring-time golf shirts that seemed to spell "American Tourist" brightly in the bag.

Funny how things change. Take any look at pictures from the '50s or '60's of professionals for example. Engineers at IBM or NASA for example. White shirts, starched collars, dark conservative ties. Compared to now. Far more expression of individuality and flamboyance now. Though I believe people were in some ways more independent back then in many respects.

Now, folks here I believe are a good example of expressing a new kind of individuality, splitting from the herd and embracing a higher level of refinement in vintage styled clothing, with an appreciation for the best of those time periods in fashion.

So in a sense, a well put together 3-piece, a solid sharp fedora, a pocket watch, a sharp '40's styled tie... It's something far more cutting edge now, than the boring norm of khaki's, Sketchers and some Polo shirt.

One thing that's been proven and I've seen it as a Quality professional and Industrial Engineering type. A higher level of dress does enhance a higher level of productivity, professionalism and portrayed poise and display of taste and class. I believe that's something at least in the U.S. with this economy we could sure stand a good dose of. Now to work on my wardrobe.

... whoops. Sorry I'm rambling. :) Carry on.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
klind65 said:
Hello. Thanks for your response. I'm glad to know you are out there! I just want to add my support and encourage you to keep it up! I had a woman once on the upper west side at a bus stop compliment me on my hat and say, " I love hats and have several.... you are very courageous..."., implying she couldn't wear hers. But I told her she SHOULD wear her hats! And I really don't know what she meant by courage - I never feel out of place or odd even though I dress differently. I do get attention, but it is always kind and admiring. ( At least those who dislike it have the grace to keep their opinions to themselves). You say people give you strange looks; I'm sure you look great, so I can't imagine why, but it might help if you don't look at them directly. That is to say, when I'm out, I rarely look into anyone's eyes - I just mind my own business and keep a nice smile on my face. If you appear happy and well-adjusted, most people feel intimidated and won't bother you.
One thing perhaps you could say, if people question you: "If people can choose to look like tramps and bums, then I can choose to look like a gentleman." ...or something like that. Also,it might help to take a historical perspective: for the entire history of the world - really until the 1960's, being well-dressed was the norm (at least for the upper classes) and it was really taken to extreme levels- think of the powdered wigs of the 18th c. or the huge crinolines and dresses of the Civil War era. There are many more examples but my point is that our current era is an aberration . It will not last! Just as Chinese foot binding was an extreme measure to accomodate a past ideal of female beauty - our era is extreme in its apathy towards beauty and its idolatry of disharmony, vulgarity, the ugly and the vile. Just carry on and see yourself as teaching by example. Sometimes that is the most effective way to change the world. And remember, you are not alone! Kindest wishes, klind65

Thank you for the kind response. Once again, I fully agree with what you said. I do get compliments from people, mostly when I'm going to classes in Manhattan. When walking I don't look in other people's eyes either, unless they're also dressed in the Golden Era style. I'm majoring in animation so a suit isn't commonplace in my classes at SVA, but the students and professor's support me for my descisions and some think it's cool. One student said they should have a day where everyone dressed like me. I normally tell people that "I don't conform to the boring casual stuff that everyone else does" or "I'm a fan of the old days" whenever people ask me or question me about my suits. I'm so glad I joined Fedora Lounge to share similar opinions with other people who really apreciate the Golden Era.

LindyTap

Familiar Face
I'm surprised no one has really brought this up, but at least among my generation (college age) the three piece suit is not enjoying a comeback, but the vest is. A lot of my friends will put on a vest and dress pants in place of a suit when they need to get dressed up. I think the thinking is that a vest looks more tailored than just a dress shirt, but not as stuffy as a suit. I, of course, disagree about the suit being stuffy, but I do agree that a vest is better than nothing. Plus a vest can be worn casually, with blue jeans and the sort. It kind of makes me wonder if in the future a "suit" will basically just be a vest and pants without a jacket. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy