Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The School of Hard Knox

singlechange

One of the Regulars
Knox Forty Custom Edge White

Recently acquired Knox Forty Custom Edge in off white color, not exactly chalk white but very close. Brim is 3 inches and crown about 5 1/4 inches. I thought I'd post it for reference purposes. I'm toying with the idea of having it shaped for formal occasion wearing and also changing to a very wide black or navy blue ribbon. The fur felt is very very soft, light weight too.

Last edited:
Knox One-Hundred

Will let the pictures do the talking on this one.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

If there was a finer convergence of materials and American craftsmanship during the second half of the 20th century, I've yet to see it. Late 1940s - 1950...99% of original condition. Tempted to keep it as an example, but I will try to find a 7 1/4 wearer who might like to own it and wear it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Pardon me while I wipe the drool off of my keyboard...

What an incredible color combination! And you can really SEE the quality of the felt in photos. Wow. Stunning, Alan, simply stunning!

What's sad is that someone purchased this nearly 70 years ago, and it looks like he rarely wore it. Too afraid to, perhaps?

Brad

Many thanks for the appreciation!

What's sad is that someone purchased this nearly 70 years ago, and it looks like he rarely wore it. Too afraid to, perhaps?

Brad

Thanks Brad... used rarely and then taken good care of by the heirs too. It's always a treat to find one that has survived in this condition. I expect the purchaser didn't spend his last C-note and probably had a large wardrobe with other choices. I am guilty of saving stuff for special occasions and then forgetting I have it.

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Here is my Knox Extra Quality bowler sold by sole agent The Harvey Clothing Company in Tiffin, OH. I won it in a non-Ebay online auction for less than $70. I think that it was a steal.

From my research on the form, construction, seller, and Knox history I estimate the age to be from the 1910's. Can the more knowledgeable offer an opinion?

Aside from the curl, my favorite part of this hat is that it has the original price tag with the hand written stock number. Wearing it feels like wearing a time machine.

When I bought it, it was dented and filthy. In the auction photos it looked pretty darned sorry. Some steaming to clean it and repair the dents, and then brushing had great results. I considered a naphtha bath but refrained out of concern that it would damage the price tag.

The photos wash out the black color a bit. The truest color is shown in the photo of me wearing it.

5yhyneta.jpg
yrusutuq.jpg
ze2uqede.jpg
qesa7y5y.jpg
ajazabys.jpg
da7avaby.jpg
3agage8e.jpg

Matt Barnes

Matt Barnes

howardeye

Practically Family
Very Nice Knox! Black Sheep Hatworks is installing a new ostrich skin sweatband on mine just like that one. It is on page 43. It seems the only way to get a decent black hat is to buy a bowler or a homburg!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR