Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The School of Hard Knox

48659479826fda1d151ca3bf9998f92e.jpg

87e7157acc20cfb3e5c8ce4989b31f85.jpg

d026a703833705acb286f304f7a80b1c.jpg

48c0b46d04c5202b8fe02c205ffdd8f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1930s (I believe) Knox soft hat from Raleigh Haberdasher in Washington, DC. Blue/black felt with a rolled unbound edge in the homburg curl. Midnight blue and purple liner and uncommon black sweatband give the hat a formal appearance. Large for me, but will be wearable with a deep center dent and side pinches on a windless day.

raleighknox1.jpg

raleighknox2.jpg

raleighknox3.jpg

raleighknox4.jpg

raleighknox5.jpg

raleighknox6.jpg

raleighknox7.jpg

raleighknox8.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1930s (I believe) Knox soft hat from Raleigh Haberdasher in Washington, DC. Blue/black felt with a rolled unbound edge in the homburg curl. Midnight blue and purple liner and uncommon black sweatband give the hat a formal appearance. Large for me, but will be wearable with a deep center dent and side pinches on a windless day.

raleighknox1.jpg

FANTASTIC, Alan!!

Could you please let me know what the brim measurements are? It looks like 2 1/2 inches wide plus another 1/4 inch for the curl. So 2 3/4 including the pencil curl? Pictures can be deceiving.

Hi Josh,

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the question. It was interesting to measure the brim width. The brim edge appears to be a D'orsay curl, without the brim binding. I actually looked carefully to see if a ribbon binding had been removed but I see no traces that it was ever there. The brim width is dimensional - 2 3/8" front and back and 2 5/8" at the sides. After curling, the brim projects about 2 1/8" on all sides.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Hi Josh,

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the question. It was interesting to measure the brim width. The brim edge appears to be a D'orsay curl, without the brim binding. I actually looked carefully to see if a ribbon binding had been removed but I see no traces that it was ever there. The brim width is dimensional - 2 3/8" front and back and 2 5/8" at the sides. After curling, the brim projects about 2 1/8" on all sides.

Thanks, Alan! Very interesting......a dimensional brimmed lords hat. The D'orsay curl definitely would need a bit more brim width on the sides to make that larger sweeping curl, so it makes perfect sense. Thanks very much for the measurements. It just proves how deceiving photos can actually look. I would have never guessed that the "finished" width of the brim was only 2 1/8 inches wide. It definitely looked wider than that in the photos, but it makes perfect sense for an early 30's hat. Perfect proportions!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

raleighknox1.jpg

raleighknox2.jpg

raleighknox3.jpg

raleighknox4.jpg

raleighknox5.jpg

raleighknox6.jpg

raleighknox7.jpg

raleighknox8.jpg
Gorgeous hat Alan! That leather looks very nice and comfortable

raleighknox1.jpg

Wow. Thats super, Alan. Great form and color.
Washington DC? That hat is from my neck of the woods!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk