Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The season is on....

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
here in Massachusetts, and my very best wishes to all of you who may be headed out with dog and gun. This will be a bittersweet season at best: our old dog, Dan, is 12 and has just been diagnosed with a liver tumor: it will be his end, but exactly when is anyone's guess. Chances are he will have a massive bleed, and that will be that...or we will have to finish the business at the vets. His son, Bob, has been battling lymphoma for a year and quarter...only 5 to 7 percent beat it, and he came out of remission after 6 months; he's on chemo again...but it hasn't quite beaten down the swelling, so he's unlikely to be one of the lucky ones. To love is to lose, here below the moon...and our dog's lives are so much shorter than our own under the best of circumstances. Enjoy every moment, afield and at home, is the advice and wish of your fellow-lounger,
"Skeet" McD

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
A good friend has a magnificent Golden Retriever, field bred, that he been training for a couple of years. He's an absolute dynamo, and great in the field. Now it turns out the dog has epilepsy. He'll still be a good pet, but hunting will probably be out.
Anyone who's had animals understands that the joy and the heartbreak come in the same package.
So sorry about your good pals.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Thanks to all of you for your understanding and sympathy. The Red Gods smiled on Dan's first day out; after a lot of good dog work and a little bad shooting...we followed that cock up, and brought him to bag. A lovely day afield (are there really any bad ones? Well...don't answer that!); five years fall off Dan when he heads out. A bit of trouble getting over the stone walls and blowdowns we have in abundance here in New England....his hind quarters aren't what they used to be—there was a time he flew over 'em! And here's how the old rogue looked once we got back home—which, lucky us, is across the road and up the driveway from our beat:
http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/DSCF6601

shortbow

Practically Family
They're here for such a short time. I've always thought there was some kind of message in that, don't know what it is exactly, but I sure try and pay attention to my cur Annie each and every day. Yesterday we came home with seven grouse and a nice little fork Mulie. She so loves it all. It gives a guy such pleasure to see a creature in such bliss.

My heartfelt condolences on your buddies, Skeet. Don't know what I'll do when Annie's time comes, but it sure ain't anything I'm looking fwd to. Hope your last days with your dogs are lovely. God bless.

That picture is a true heart tugger.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Thanks, SB. Only those who do this really understand, and obviously you do. I envy you your grouse covers! We live in the dead center of what was fantastic pa'tridge country just a few short decades ago—Tapply and Spiller country. But no more. Enjoy your time afield, and may the Red Gods smile on you!
"Skeet"

Viola

Call Me a Cab
*hugs* to you and yours, Skeet, especially the dogs. Big dogs are a fleeting blessing... but one of the best things in the world.

I never had a gun dog but I admire them from afar. Is Dan an Irish Red and White Setter? I've heard they're wonderful. I've never seen one in real life.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Dear Viola, Thanks so much. Yes, Dan (and his son Bob) are Irish Red & Whites, of the breeding of Gail Harrison of Mitchell Ontario. They are wonderful dogs indeed, with an interesting history: they're the foundation stock for the Red Irish Setters everyone knows today—every once in a while an all-red (or nearly all-red) dog is born, and when bench shows were getting started in the 1870s there was a very famous one...and after that, folks began to breed for redness with all the attendant problems. But a few old Anglo-Irish families maintained kennels of the original stock; when Irish independence came in the 1920s, those families killed the dogs and headed back to England and the breed was thought to be extinct. An Irish woman geneticist (and dog fancier) named Mrs. Cuddy wasn't so sure, and began to scour Ireland for survivors. She found some (as the kennelmen were native Irish, you can imagine that the odd pup made it over the transom)...the main foundation stock of today's dogs was a male she found with travellers (and named "Gyp"). Along with a Fr. Doherty the breed began to revive. The difficulty with the breed, if you will, is this small genetic base (cross breeds were made to English setters to help) but the GOOD news is that they missed all the crazy inbreeding which has ruined most sporting dog breeds. Both show-dog folks and hunters are to blame; while the one has been breeding for hair color or size or other things not related to what the dogs are meant to do, the other has been breeding for strange things like set of tail. By avoiding all of that, the IR&Ws have the original, beautiful setter temperment: calm, loving, and loyal without a trace of the harebrained skittishness the red dogs are noted for—and also are extremely birdy and good in the field. When we got Dan in 1998 there were about 300 dogs in the US and Canada and about 3,000 in England and Ireland. The breed is still a rare breed in the US, but about 6 years ago the CKC accepted the breed, and I'm sorry to say the results are not good: breeders have begun to breed for color again....but this time, it's white! Hopefully there will always be some responsible breeders who will carry on this very surprising genetic survival, pure and in the form we received it. But, humans being what they are....it's a hope only.

If you ever decide to get a gun dog...you won't go wrong with an Irish Red & White. I see you've made it down under; surprisingly, there doesn't (yet) seem to be an aussie IR&WS society; but here's a page with some info on the breed there:

http://www.tintookie.com/irws2.htm

Thanks again for your sympathy.

"Skeet"

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Funny thing - my husband grew up with a (regular) Irish Setter. He described the one he had as "a dog-shaped marshmallow made out of love."

shortbow

Practically Family
Thanks Skeet, and many thanks also for the info on the dogs you have. I was just having this same conversation a few days ago about how people have so screwed up so many breeds by line breeding and all that. It really just makes my skin crawl. I'm going to have a good look at this breed. If they hunt like you say and haven't had all the toughness bred out of them, coupled with these fantastic looks, I need one. Or two. They are beauties.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
here in Massachusetts, and my very best wishes to all of you who may be headed out with dog and gun. This will be a bittersweet season at best: our old dog, Dan, is 12 and has just been diagnosed with a liver tumor: it will be his end, but exactly when is anyone's guess. Chances are he will have a massive bleed, and that will be that...or we will have to finish the business at the vets. His son, Bob, has been battling lymphoma for a year and quarter...only 5 to 7 percent beat it, and he came out of remission after 6 months; he's on chemo again...but it hasn't quite beaten down the swelling, so he's unlikely to be one of the lucky ones. To love is to lose, here below the moon...and our dog's lives are so much shorter than our own under the best of circumstances. Enjoy every moment, afield and at home, is the advice and wish of your fellow-lounger,
"Skeet" McD

I'm very sorry to hear the news. We have to remember that in the end, we gave our dogs a great life and you need to be able to say that you did all you can to return their love and loyalty.

They serve us in soo many ways. They were put here to serve us and are willing to die for us. They are loyal beyond imagination. And they don't ask for anythign in return.

... I think I have something in my eye.....

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Thank you, Counsellor. We have, and therefore have that comfort. As a believer, I think that one of the ways we are "made in the image of God" is in our responsibilities and love to the animals under our care: the relationship is the same; only the magnitudes differ. The same Hand that made us, made them. Thank you again for your good words.

"Skeet"

shortbow

Practically Family
Ditto Skeet.

And, I've had a good look at the irish red and whites. Besides being truly beautiful dogs, they sound like a dream to hunt and live with. Thanks again for the tip.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Dear SB: In point of fact, Dan's sire was from BC...."Jamie"; that litter was the only time our breeder (in Ontario) used him...shortly after that, he went back West. You might look around...unless, of course, the "good look" you had was in 3-D, in which case you've probably already found Jamie's owner/breeder.

They are FANTASTIC to live with; they actively desire to be around people...this is NOT a breed you'd want to leave in a kennel. Their personality is everything that could be desired.

As far as hunting goes....they are extremely birdy, but in a natural way—just like the rest of their make-up. Compared to field-bred pointers, for instance (where, if they're not pointing strong by 6 weeks, they become "pet dogs" or worse, it seems...) these dogs are slower to mature...they are literally still changing conformation into their 3rd year. If you have the chance to expose them to lots of birds, things will go fast indeed...but don't expect what you would expect of a "modern" dog in their puppy years. Your patience will be rewarded, believe me.

They are perfect dogs for our close, New-English covers (which I expect will be much like yours in BC). Our trainer is a big field-trialer (and a Brittany man)....he's always wanted to train and run Dan and his son in trials, but my wife and I don't need—and frankly aren't interested in—a big-running dog. If you needed it...they're fleet as the wind. But if you, like us, prefer a close-working, responsive, and intelligent dog...you'll not be disappointed.

"Skeet"

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Ta, James: that's a good, long run by any measurement. But they're all too short, however long they may be. I hope you'll get yourself another friend and get back out in the field, if it hasn't happened already. They're all different, and while they can never replace our lost dear ones...you'll make new and happy memories together. What are the covers like where you are? I'm sure our fellow-Lounger Viola (who's just moved to Oz) would be particularly interested in your take on dogs and hunting there...

All the best from the other end of the world, and thanks again for your thoughts.

"Skeet"

shortbow

Practically Family
Yep, Skeet, I need a close-working dog. Our covers are thick mixtures of alder, bush maple, birch, willows of various sorts and lots of wicked blow-downs. Unfortunately, I have to wait until my current bird brained mutt is in her happy hunting ground as she would not understand any additions to the family. Great though to know where to look when the unfortunate time comes.

One of the great things about where I live is that 95 per cent of hunters are after big game, or just pot the odd grouse on the logging roads. Them as want to get out of the truck and gumboot about a bit got good hunting. PLUS, we have Blues, the king of grouse.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Dear Friends of the Lounge: Our young dog Caniscaeli Robert Emmett (Bob) was finally overwhelmed by lymphoma: half a week into the final protocol it was clear the cancer was still gaining ground. We took him to the vet at 1:40 today after a final run—belled—in his hunting grounds. He died with the scent of his second retrieved bird in his nostrils, surrounded by those who loved him. The LORD giveth, and the LORD taketh away: Blessed be the Name of the LORD!

By dint of the chemo, he had an additional 18 months of life, during which he gave us so much: and learned to swim; to retrieve to hand (including water retrieves) and pointed solid, steady to wing and shot: both my wife and I had birds over his staunch points within the last month. Our season ended a week ago, and he was able to enjoy all of it. Here are a few shots of his last day in the beat:
http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100500/DSCF6957&bgcolor=black
http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100500/DSCF6934&bgcolor=black
http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100500/DSCF7023&bgcolor=black

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
Skeet you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am facing an all too similar situation with my beloved Gordon Setter Maggie. She has been a joy and delight. I am richer for the time we have shared in the field and the home. As her time grows nearer she grows all the more precious to me. It seems like just yesterday she was just a pup. Time indeed is so short.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy