Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Serious approaches: Cards or Tigers?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Harp said:
As a Cubs fan, postseason play is an impersonal, neutral, and most
indifferent time. I usually begin the psychological transition to college
and pro football in mid-summer; give or take a few weeks, so the
inevitable season letdown is less painful.

I'm one of the few Cub/Sox fans, as were my father and grandfather before me, so last season was sublime.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Cubs/Sox

Tomasso said:
I'm one of the few Cub/Sox fans, as were my father and grandfather before me, so last season was sublime.

Bi, huh?lol Well good for you. I actually cheered the Sox too,
it was good to have a Chicago team in the Series.:)

Doh!

One Too Many
One down!

Obviously, I want the Cards to win the whole pie but now that they've won one and have already done better than they did last time they were in it, I can sleep easy for the rest of the Series.

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
Remember, the Cardinals trail only the Yankees in World Series Championships.

If Albert Pujols played in New York instead of StL, he’d be in every TV commercial and magazine ad you’d see.

Yankee manager Joe Torre was a National League MVP as a Cardinal.

So Tuesday night when I’m at Busch Stadium watching the Cardinals in the World Series I say to all you Yankee, Cub, Red Sox, White Sox, Dodger, Met, and A’s fans…………….How’s the TV reception?

Regards,

Forrestal

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
Hey MudInYerEye,

I know, you are right; there is quite a difference between the number of World Series championships won by the Yankees and the Cardinals.

But tonight I’ll be at the World Series……Maybe you’ll see me….you’ll be at home like all the rest of the Yankee fans, watching on TV!
(Keep in mind this is all just good natured ribbing on my part…so don’t get mad)

Forrestal

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
fizzle...

Forrestal said:
But tonight I’ll be at the World Series……Maybe you’ll see me….you’ll be at home like all the rest of the Yankee fans, watching on TV!
Forrestal

Turns out the rest of the Yankee fans, most baseball fans in general it seems, were not watching you at the world serious. In fact, to the dismay of sponsors, this serious has recieved the lowest television ratings of all time thus far!

Read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2638689

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MudInYerEye said:
this serious has recieved the lowest television ratings of all time thus far!

This may be a trend, as last years WS ratings were the lowest in history.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I think it's because of the horrible way Fox covers it. There are so many commercials and mini commercials sitting on the screen that it has become unwatchable.
I will root for the Cardinals.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Absolutely -- the trend toward "over production" in baseball telecasts has been driving me crazy for years now.

A couple years ago, the local cable sports channel re-ran the original broadcasts of the 1975 World Series -- and it was like the difference between night and day. There was none of this razzmatazz short-attention-span whizzing graphic foolishness -- just simple, elegant images and quality announcers.

I've actually been listening to the Series more on radio this year than on TV. Jon Miller is a far better broadcaster than any of the guys they've got on the television side this year...

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Regarding a trend, it ebbs and flows. If the public finds a serious compelling they will watch, if they find the teams are boring they will go bowling. The 97 serious between the Indians and Marlins interested nobody and it was at that point the lowest-rated ever, but the 01 and 03 serious got great ratings because they generated tangible excitement.
If the Mets had gotten past the Cards these ratings would be a different story.
Agree with Lizzie about the radio broadcasts, much more satisfying experience.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
LizzieMaine said:
There was none of this razzmatazz short-attention-span whizzing graphic foolishness --

Fox has led the MTV-ization of sports production. I find their NFL telecasts quite irritating.

Doh!

One Too Many
Great game tonight!

Forrestal, how's the new Busch Stadium? When Casey Stengel was asked what he thought about the old stadium when it was first built, he commented "It sure holds the heat well."

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
Well, there hasn’t been much heat to hold at Busch #3 during this series (yes, this is the third stadium named Busch). Tempatures in the 40’s and 50’s.

The ball park is very nice. Toooooooo many advertisements all over the place though.

The food is much better that Busch#2

The home of Budweiser about two miles south of the stadium, so the beer is real fresh!!!

We clinch tonight!

Regards,
Forrestal

S

Samsa

Well, I guess I'll have to resign myself to the fact that the Tigers have lost. At least we made it to the World Series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari