Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The shirt by Matt Deckard

Chamorro

A-List Customer
I had a few Inquiries about the shirt i was wearing in the photo of me in my Chocolate Optimo, So here it is.
Butterfly side seam.
100_0074-vi.jpg

Split yoke.
100_0075-vi.jpg

double button cuff...this one is a bit small.
100_0076-th.jpg

The below is a side butterfly side seam with a gusset for strength. This image is for refference of how some shirts used to be made.
100_0077-vi.jpg

The shirt is from Nordstrom's. I used to live in JC Penney shirts, then moved to Brooks Brothers (Liked the fit), then I tried on one of the John W. Nordstrom shirts and fell in love.

I preffer all cotton and am okay with the ironing, wrinkled can look classy after a long night of swing dancing.
My father used to swear by Arrow shirts, but I could never get into that brand.

END OF LINE.

Copy of post by: Mattdeckard

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Thought I would reserect this topic because I have been getting a number of questions about my shirts again mainly from swing dancers and vintage dressers. It's the collar.

Recently I have been buying the Burgundy label Nordstrom shirts... good price for what you get and a very nice collar. You can find more patterns and colors at a local Nordstroms. They do not have the butterfly seem like the John W. Nordstrom shirts, though they have a very classic look to them and very little tie space so it creates that really nice upside down "V" around the tie knot.

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/...378122&PrevStyleID=2790559&NextStyleID=536204

Brief history of what I have worn in shirts.
I began wearing my father Arrow castoffs from when he was in the Airforce.
moved to Penny's Towncraft
Moved to Penny's Stafford
Moved to Brooks Brothers
Moved to Perry Ellis Portfolio
Moved to Nordstrom Burgundy Label.

So far I like what nordstrom is producing.

What do you wear?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My first 'real' dress shirts were Brooks Brothers I bought in college, and I still have some (not the same ones from college!). It's hard to beat their button-down collar classic shirt.

Recently I've tried Robert Talbott (highly recommended) and the English shirtmaker Charles Tyrwhitt , which I really like. You can usually get good discounts on their website. I have an Ike Behar that I like quite well, and plan to buy more (on discount at TJ Maxx/Marshall's) at some point.

I intend to try Carlo Franco's shirts (and ties) soon.

I'd like to move mostly to double (aka, French) cuff shirts.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Heck

I go to ROSS and buy "imperfect" shirts or extras...Perry Ellis, Arrow(Dover), Goeffery Bean. Embassy Row....

I get these shirts for about $12 to $17 bucks! SAME DEAL as the "big names" but for cheap.

My theory on dress shirts is that they don't last like a suit, hat , or shoes.

Really, after several washings..they show their age quiclky.

You cannot tell that these shirts from ROSS have any problems...so I buy them whenever I find the color, size and quality.

White shirts are my favorite, light blue second.

Sergei

Gone Home
I too like Nordstrom's the best for dress shirts. They are good quality and good service. They will also maintain a file on you on your shirt size. That way if you come back again, there is never any doubt. It's like the old days, an index on you. That's a good thing.

-Sergei

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Originally posted by AlanC
My first 'real' dress shirts were Brooks Brothers I bought in college, and I still have some (not the same ones from college!). It's hard to beat their button-down collar classic shirt.

Recently I've tried Robert Talbott (highly recommended) and the English shirtmaker Charles Tyrwhitt , which I really like. You can usually get good discounts on their website. I have an Ike Behar that I like quite well, and plan to buy more (on discount at TJ Maxx/Marshall's) at some point.

I intend to try Carlo Franco's shirts (and ties) soon.

I'd like to move mostly to double (aka, French) cuff shirts.

I have a couple Tyrhitt shirts, and one from Cole's... very good quality though I'm not into the English style collar, shorter and having a bit of a cuttaway.

I'm working my way toward having more double cuff shirts... just need more cufflinks.

android

One of the Regulars
I like the John W. Nordstrom shirts too. I just bought two french cuff JWN dress shirts yesterday. I've got a green one that has held up very nicely to regular wearing and washing for a year now.

AndyKev, the reason your shirts show their age quickly is because a lot of those shirts that are alleged designer overstock and seconds are not.

They are deliberately making "for outlet" clothing which is lower quality in fabric and build, but still carries the designer label.

I used to buy shirts at Ross too, but I got tired of them looking like hell and the buttons falling off after three months. I still buy Dockers pants there sometimes. They seem to be real seconds and usually have tag indicating the location of the defect.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I've always been frustrated with finding what I want, that's why I've probably abandoned most retail shops when it comes to looking for tailored clothing, and went the route of the tailor... I've had to find the perfect one and searched high and low for the one that would make what I need without an ego or an argument. When it comes to shirts, I want what I want too, and decided it's high time I did my own line of them. Straight out of the 1930s, no corners cut, every details meticulously fussed over by me to make it a shirt that can be confused with deadstock shirts from the 1930s.

Frustration and time to mull over all the details to make it perfect led me to making this shirt. Clark Gable himself would be jealous.

Unfused but double stitched. I love collars that have a mind of their own and don't look like cardboard on your neck, the Old Hollywood look. I don't wear collar stays, but you might, so I put in a vintage style collar stay pocket that runs along the edge of the collar rather than down the center.

My own style spear point collar Barrymore collar dagger collar if you may, shirt. It took a long time to get it all right and I hope you like it.

securedownload-3.jpg
522884_10151179537894718_648843945_n.jpg

227415_10151178519069718_379431188_n.jpg

Give me two to 2.5 weeks to get you one if you order.

Edward

Bartender
Looks good! I am a relatively recent (last eighteen months) convert to Charles Tyrwhitt shirts. If only they did the classic fit with the option of spearpoint and club collars, I would rarely feel any need to go elsewhere.

For my casual shirts I often go to Sainsbury's supermarket. Very pleased with their product(especially the ss shirts I wear in Summer), and all their cotton is certified Fair Trade, I believe.

Matt's shirt looks great, I do fancy one of those. Also looking into Luxurie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy