Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The side adjusting strap on my Highwayman keep coming loose

InsOma

New in Town
To be fair, I've emailed Holly about the side straps and a couple other minor issues, and she's suggested that I send it back to Scotland to see what they can do. There was no mention of who would pay for shipping, however, and there hasn't been a good time yet for me to try to mail it back, because I travel frequently and spontaneously for my work. I'm just a little disappointed that a jacket I paid so much for (I bought it in '08, when the dollar was at it's lowest against the pound) has flaws like this, and I'm not impressed with the quality and design of the whole side-strap arrangement to begin with.

Also, its interesting that some think the buckle is "inside out." Since I only have one Aero and nothing to compare it to, I don't know if they're "Inside out" or not.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Re. The buckle being inverted. Usually it is dished with the convex curve facing outwards.
If you take the straps out entirely, does the buckle not simply rotate so that the curve is outward facing? You can then replace the leather strap.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
P1420180Small.jpg

Picture of a 30's halfbelt jacket with D-Ringed sidestraps.. Picture courtesy of superiorjackets.com

To me, the cool thing about the belts pictured are that the adjustment mechanism is at the far end of the adjustment area. So many side belts, including the test jacket I was sent by JL, have the D-rings at the end of a strap that extends to the middle of the side panel, thereby taking away a lot of the adjustability. I asked for something like in the pic on my new jacket.

Last edited:

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
Last edited:

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Anyone experienced with this configuration? This came on my Maxwell. For the life of me, I cannot keep the straps from slipping. Perhaps I simply require an owner's manual. I sincerely appreciate any comments.

P3090107.jpg

P3090116.jpg

P3090117.jpg

P3090118.jpg

This is very strange. Ken said that no matter how hard he pulls the straps on his he can’t shift them without undoing them and readjusting. Even, when making a jacket in even very thin leather they just won’t shift. If you email me at holly@aeroleatherclothing.com, and reference this post we'll try and get to the bottom of this.

Holly

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have this with an Alexanders jacket - I fixed it by cutting a small piece of thick leather the same dimensions as the strap and slid it inside the buckle, effectively doubling the thickness of the leather as it runs through the metal so now it doesn't slide. You can't see it but it provides the same hold as doubling back the strap.

Last edited:

trapp

Practically Family
Morrison is indeed pleased with his HH Enfield acquisition - and prepared to post in any old thread to publish that fact :)

All in good fun, of course. Glad someone is enjoying their new jacket.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I pass my straps back on themselves, effectively shortening them and jamming them in place.

I'd do that if the straps were long enough but I don't need to tighten my jackets more than a tiny bit and there's not enough strap left to double back.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
When I ordered my first Highwayman, I actually asked for one inch longer side straps because of this thread. It was pointless. The straps stayed in place.

Last edited:

armscye

One of the Regulars
Three thoughts:

Those who drive automobiles with sporty seats might want to ponder the interaction of prong buckles and seat leather. One of my cars developed a fairly significant scuff at the exact point where the righthand prong slides across the seat.

There is one additional way of keeping D-rings and prongless buckles in place: a row of metal studs along the centerline of the strap. They can be passed through buckle or d-ring, but when cinched they will block slippage.

One of my better sources for 3/4 inch nickel or brass buckles is, ready, the Dollar Store-- they always have an assortment of dog collars that are the right size and shape.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's what we were talking about in my "Ventura" thread. See the units below. Absolutely the best I've had.

Revisiting this thread on side buckles. On vintage jackets, all shape and designs could be found, D rings, double rectangular rings, single bar slider, serrated/toothes slider and single prong buckle, unfortunately, no double bar slider like what Aero uses. Many also have surface art deco etching. I've been dying to find a maker of decorated slider. SCJ uses a gold plated art deco, very nice, probably magnesium and not very strong but ok, japanese makers also use beautiful sliders. If anyone has idea who makes these, please let me know.

04b07b2419abff53995e224991655b17.jpg

zebedee

One Too Many
Mine used to do that (the side adjusters with a roller- first picture), but they 'settled' in a loose position and then stayed that way for probably seven years. I don't really clinch them tightly, though. A 50s HB and a Maxwell both have the divided adjuster, and barely move (picture two):

20200407_171839_HDR.jpg

20200407_171744.jpg

The second type of adjuster seems to be more practical.

Attachments

• 20200407_171801.jpg
    20200407_171801.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 329

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21