1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

The side adjusting strap on my Highwayman keep coming loose

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by al-dog, Mar 21, 2013.

1. al-dog

al-dog New in Town

Hi people, long time listener etc. . .

Anyway, on my Aero Highwayman the side adjusting straps keep coming loose. Any suggestion on how I can keep them from doing that?

Thanks,

Al

2. devilish

devilish A-List Customer

Maybe try pulling them to where you want them, then getting them wet and holding them in that spot until they dry? Making sure they really conform around the rings.

3. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

That's what we were talking about in my "Ventura" thread. See the units below. Absolutely the best I've had.

[​IMG]

4. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

I had the same problem with an earlier Highwayman. The thicker leather seems to work better but think that it is primarily a design issue since the D rings on my G&B Expedition (Indy) jackets don't have that problem.

5. al-dog

al-dog New in Town

That a good idea. I'll give it a try this weekend.

6. Plumbline

Plumbline One Too Many

the only real way to stop them shifting is to use a proper buckle. or for many years Aero adopted a double looping design/technique wher you double the tail back and over the top of the buckle and through the first bar ( hope this makes sense) ..... it's a bit cumbersome but does hold things better than a straight through orientation.

[​IMG]

7. Capesofwrath

Capesofwrath Practically Family

Don't they still? I have that on my HWM which is less than four years old and if you can't loop them back they'll come loose in a very little time.

8. 53Effie

53Effie A-List Customer

I use the double looping technique on mine as mentioned above. I picked up that idea from a picture of a jacket on ebay, I think. Without doing that they will not stay in adjustment. They've not moved since I did that. I recommend it.

9. jack miranda

jack miranda A-List Customer

I've already posted my frustrations about Aero's side buckles

on Butte's new Ventura thread. While I don't wish this irritation on anyone, I'm glad to hear I am not the only one plagued by this nuisance. And, Butte, I am mos' def' going to see about getting those buckles added to my HB. Til then, I shall mutter and curse with the rest of us. Thanks for the post.

10. Joel Shapiro

Joel Shapiro One Too Many

Jack, I'm right with ya. I never liked those buckles. What's worse, I've never seem them on a vintage jacket either. So they're dysfunctional and historically inaccurate.

11. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

Himel Bros have a fantastic Monarch horsehide jacket that uses elastic in place of the side straps.

[​IMG]

Aero used to do this on the Crop Duster, but they've since discontinued that model. But if you're getting a new jacket then it might be worth asking.

12. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

With no disrespect to you or Himel - I would not could not own a leather jacket with elastic like that. It's 1984 all over again, and I prefer to keep that on the shelf, along with Top Gun lol I just hope they don't go velcro™ next...

13. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

There was an extensive thread on this topic about 3 or 4 years ago. Suggestions, ideas, pictures of how to buckle, etc. I don't have time tonight to find it, but if Research Assistant HD checks in, he can find it in about 5 minutes. He can find any old thread.

14. 767fo

767fo One of the Regulars

That is not a jacket made by Himel. He sells vintage jackets on his site. Like you I very much like the ones we have on our Ventura's:)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  15. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

My bad. Thanks for setting me right. And yes, I like them too!

16. Joel Shapiro

Joel Shapiro One Too Many

This jacket is from the 1950's, and anything is better than the evil Aero double-buckle!

17. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

Aero is but one offender. I've had those crappy D-rings on many an item - not just jackets. They always sucked. Elastic in leather I can't roll though.

18. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Regular buckles as used on Vanson Enfield and Lost Worlds Suburban seem to be well designed.

19. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

I'm looking at my LHB and it has the exact same orientation as that shown above. I got the LHB in December 2012.

Worf

20. Plumbline

Plumbline One Too Many

Eastman, Schott, Lewis and Lost Worlds use a proper buckle with holes in the strap on some jackets ... it works REALLY well ... and is MUCH more historically accurate IMHO. Why re-invent the wheel I say !!!!